2012 Week 4 - New York Jets vs. San Francisco 49'ers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Obviously gotta stop the run and their pass rush. 3 step drops could be utilized, give fuckin Powell the ball ffs.

2. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

I was going to say the same thing. SF's 3rd down passing percentage is high because everyone assumes the run with them, so they play the run. The Jets really need to stop the run here. Last sunday Reggie Bush ran for 6.1 ypc before he went down, but after that Daniel Thomas only averaged 3.6. ypc.

Frank Gore is averaging 5.9 ypc so far, so he's obviously their big gun over there. Rex needs to game plan this run defense like never before. They've got to keep Gore down to something reasonable like like 4.0 ypc and force Smith to try and beat us. Then we have to consider that the SF pass protection isn't all that good because Smith has been put on his back 10 times in three games. If the Jets can limit the run and get to Smith it will limit his ability to try and beat us with Moss, Crabtree, and Manningham.

I think it's possible the Jets defense could do this. The only question is can the Jets offense move the ball against that defense? That's a tough question to answer right now.

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I was looking for the power ranking thread but gave up. Anyway, anyone see them? ESPN has us at 17, which is up one spot from last week, there are four teams with a worse record ahead of us. NFL has us at 15, which is actually down a spot from last week, and there are four teams with a worse record ahead of us.

Given that two of those teams are the Packers and Patriots, and I would rank them ahead of us as well.

4. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

40% chance of rain in the forecast at the moment.

5. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

this is going to be a tough game no-doubt, but miami was a kick in the ass to this team. you think the 9ers are pissed? we just lost darrelle revis for the fucking season. its not like against the steelers where there was a sense of, 'just make it past this game.' now its do or die and everyone knows it. if you think that rex ryan and tony sparano are just going to take this lying down, then i would have to ask what nfl you were watching the past couple years. sparano does not have a history of not adjusting, and neither does rex. there are changes taking place right now as i type this.

with bt back hopefully we can set the edge. with revis out hopefully we will try and get at the qb more because we cant rely on coverage as much. i really want to see devito supplanted by coples at this point. devito just gets pushed around out there. demario davis needs to be given a chance to just get out there and get to the ball, no assignment other than that. he is fast as shit and excels at that type of play. the jets are going to have a much different look without revis than they did against the steelers cause once again, they know now that they arent getting him back, and they dont have to worry about returning to the revis d again this season, so they are going to make big adjustments. i trust rex, and i trust that the defense will rebound.

as far as the offense goes, we saw much less tebow against miami, and i suspect that we will see even less against the 9ers. that package with tebow as a tight end can be great if we can manage to get the ball to tebow in space, but he needs to work on his receiving skills, mostly looking for the ball, before we can really count on that. the most promising thing about last game was the sanchez-holmes connection. by the end of that game you could tell they were completely in sync and were relying on each other at that point. it was really the first time i feel like i saw holmes appreciative of mark, and vice versa. great game for those two, i hope they can continue to build on this relationship, because if holmes can be the guy we expect 100 yards out of a game, its only going to open things up elsewhere on our offense. dont think that the 9ers didnt notice this, and that they wont be gameplanning to stop holmes. if hill can get over his dropsies, something he absolutely did not have in college, we will be just fine, but just in case, id like to see jordan white brought up from the practice squad. one of the most sure-handed receivers in the draft, and a very smart player as well, i really doubt he would have allowed the pick that other guy i cant think of his name right now did. billal powell is going to get most of the carries, or at least we are going to be rotating the backs more, and adding in another guy to take snaps. im pissed we lost ganaway, he was probably going to be the one they added to the roster rather than that other practice squad guy, but whatever.

im optimistic about the game. not so much that i think well win, but i think we will play a good game, and if we can play good football and keep it close, mark and tone can win it for us.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Completely agree with all mentioned. Rex is gonna make some drastic changes on the defensive side of the ball for this game. He has to. I also can't wait to see what Sparano's gameplan will be like.

If Sanchez and Holmes are in sync again like last game, it will definitely open everything up, especially with Keller back. The 9'ers will have to worry about shutting down Holmes and Keller, which will only open up Hill, if he's healthy, and Kerley. This could be a HUGE win for us. I think we have a great chance at this, just as long as our defense holds up and our offense comes to play like Week 1.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

How the hell did the NFC west go from the weakest division in football to the strongest in one year?

8. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

They are not the strongest division. Its a division full of weak offenses and good defenses. Seahawks should have lost to GB. Lot more BS happened that game then just the last play of the game. Bengals, Steelers, Ravens is > the NFCWest. I'd say the NFC East is better too. Eagles Cowboys Giants and Skins. Skins were a lot better before losing Orakpo. Still skins>Rams.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets need to tackle. That is the key. If they can't tackle, then Gore will run all over them.

10. tubby

tubby Active Member

What's Willis' status for the game?

11. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Determined!

12. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

after watching the coaches film of the miami game, im glad we dropped dixon, but we really really really need to put coples out there. the limited action he has seen, he has gotten pressure on the qb and stopped runs for no gain. im really hoping he starts playing more next week, because we are going to need his presence on the line. with him and wilkerson in there an extra blocker or two will be focused on the line and our linebackers will be able to get in there and make some plays the way they used to, with bart coming in eating up the blocker and the next guy cleaning up, but with the way devito has been playing, it only takes one guy to knock him back 5 yards or keep him out of the play. i know im piling on devito, which is slightly unwarranted, hes not the worst guy out there by far, but i dont think hes so good as to not give coples a better shot at the job

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Colin Cowherd just said the 49ers are his ELIMINATOR PICK this week over the Jets. He said it is more certain than the Ravens beating the Browns at home. Wow.

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

That's just plain dumb.

Btw, I just found out I won't even get to watch this game. Going to a baby shower for a friend. I was upset at first but, to be honest, I might not want to watch it anyway. Just going to PVR it and watch it when I get home.

15. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Ravens over the Browns is a safer pick, but the only people picking the Jets over the 49ers this week will be Jets fans.

16. Ted

Ted Member

You're right. I am picking the 49ers as well, not because the Jets are a division rival, but I really don't see anyway the Jets will be able to move the ball with any success. Throw in the loss of Revis and the defense may be suddenly average.

17. iPrism

iPrism New Member

9ers fan here. Thought I would drop in and wish you guys good luck Sunday. I'm looking forward to a great game.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I consider the Jets better than the Vikings. The Jets clearly played better at home Week 1, than their 2 road games thus far. To assume the Jets will just lose makes no sense. Far from a lock.

19. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Jets lose this game. We become 2-2 while NE becomes 1-3.

20. BookEndTackles 72&79

The Niners are not unbeatable. I know the Jets don't have an Adrian Peterson in the backfield but I was surprised how the Vikes beat the Niners physically at the LOS. On both sides of the ball. Vikes controlled the clock on this team. I don't think the Jets can do it all game like the Vikes but if they can play ball control for a couple of 6-7 minute drives and convert them into TD's I'm very hopeful. A couple of big ST eams plays kept the Niners in this game and I'll take my chances of winning special teams play against anyone. Patrick Willis won't be 100% either. They desperately need Keller back for this game to get another decent weapon in there. Hopefully getting Connor back should help the running game a little bit as well.