Run game problems... Continue.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by laxin, Sep 17, 2012.

1. joolander

joolander New Member

you think the Titans are willing to trade Chris Johnson? He's running his mouth the media. I know its a huge stretch but we should definitely try to get our hands on him. He would be the perfect compliment for Shonn Greene.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I hope this thread doesn't "jinx" Greene

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Unless Jets get Barry Sanders in his early 20's, there is no fucking way in HELL this team improves the running game. OLs just do not create holes.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I just started a career in Madden with Barry Sanders in his early 20s joining the Jets. I'll let you know how it works! :breakdance:

Does anyone, including you, want to expand what the offensive line is struggling with in the run game? Is it specific lineman, or a group failure? They seem to be holding up well in the pass game, better than I expected.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I see tons of holes created especially between Moore and Mangold, Greene always tends to run into one of them

6. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

what will it cost to trade for a capable RB? i was talking to someone about how even andre brown tonight looked more capable than greene

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

This is more so what I was getting at. Greene isnt being used in a way that allows him to "wear down the defense" because he's getting worn down too. At this point, what does Greene provide over Powell? If Powell can hold onto the ball, I dont see any reason why Greene should be getting over 70% of the carries.

Powell, or McKnight should be splitting carries and getting a good amount... The Giants just got 120 yards and 2 TD's out of ANDRE BROWN. Its about time we find someone that comes out of no where and can produce.

Holes are being opened up. Greene is not seeing those holes.

[Ill refer back to Brown on a very nice run, he stutter stepped to the right, then left as the hole began to open up, waited for his linemen to open up the hole and then burst through it. Greene would have ran into his linemen and fell down for 3 yards, instead of gaining 10+, hence leaving yards on the field]

Its sad that at this point that we are so desperate for Powell to be something.

8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

runningbacks are hard to put a value on

the wear and tear lessens their value but if your need is high then you end up over paying

its always best to draft a runningback every 2 or 3 years to keep one in your system.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

This.

Draft our own running back. Don't trade for someone else's guy, unless he's still young and you're getting good value.

Always hate seeing other teams plugging in random RBs who are successful because they're in a good system in a good offense. The Jets don't have that right now.

And to reply to laxinx, I don't think it's sad we want Powell to be something. I was down on him, but we should be hoping our running backs will be able to step in and play. Powell struggled as a rookie with a short camp, now we're seeing a little more of what he really can be. We still don't know if he's any good or not with more carries, but I like the way he's been running.

Backup RB is going to become the new backup QB as the most popular guy on the team, but in this case, I think it's justified, at least to have Greene split carries.

#69 Jetfanmack, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  10. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

EDIT : Spend a high pick on a RB. Stop signing washed up vets that other teams threw away (Jones, Tomlinson)

#70 MiamiDolphin, Sep 21, 2012
  11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Wrong thread, put this in a Jets-Dolphins discussion thread.

And saying 1 TD, 3 Int is "very similar" to 4 TD, 1 Int is mindbogglingly dumb. Even if you include Tannehill's rush TD.

#71 Jetfanmack, Sep 21, 2012

12. I wish I knew the exact stat, but the jets are something like 8-1 when Greene gets 20 carries or more. So regardless of how many yards we all think Greene leaves on the field, or his body language after taking a big hit...the stats say he gets better as the game goes on & that there is a direct correlation to winning when he gets an ample number of opportunities to run the football.

Many of you want him to be more elusive in the open field..but that's just not what he is. He's a straight ahead bell cow. A workhorse if you will. And that's what Rex wants.

Powell is actually a similar type of player. We don't have quite the same sample size to compare, but in college powell was a guy that started alittle slow but got better w/ every carry. He's really not that much more elusive than greene until he gets in a rythym...which takes 7 or 8 carries or so.

If people want the Jets to go RB by committee..then you have to basically disregard an impressive stat condusive to winning...and Joe mcknight is truly the change of pace back the Jets need. Problem w/ Joe is he cant pass protect &has a tendency to fumble.

13. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

I like the energy Powell brings.

14. TwentyFour

TwentyFour New Member

That's a great stat. It's actually 7-1 in regular season and 2-0 in the post season.

All those regular season wins were against sub .500 teams and the only loss was against the Pats.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

That would be awesome, he needs a change of scenery.

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Thats a useless and misleading stat. Im sure the Yankees are undefeated when they hit 4 or more home runs. So lets just make sure we hit 4 HRs right?!

You'd have to look at it game by game. Im sure those wins were against shit teams. Im sure we scored points early in those games and just ran the ball all second half. Im sure most of those wins came against really bad rush defenses. Theres just so many variables. Its a chicken and egg thing as well.

Greene leaves wayyyy too many yards on the field. If you watch the games, its painfully obvious.

We moved up in the draft to get a QB FIFTH OVERALL. So like any retarded franchise we didnt do anything to supply the guy with the proper weapons. Maybe because we're a retarded organization or maybe because we realized he sucks. I dont know. So we decide we're goin " ground and pound babay". Except we dont draft or obtain the proper players to do that either!

What exactly is the fuckin plan here? I'll tell you, there is no plan.

Combine the lack of a plan with horrible contracts ( Pace, Scott, Holmes, Cro) and you got a bad situation.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If you think a little deeper, it's the OTHER way around.

Greene never breaks a long one - that's a given. He does produce positive yardage out of every carry he gets, with very little variance. Give it a generous 4 yard a pop. (That's too generous but you can consider this an upper bound.)

Do you know what his 20+ carries mean? That means 1. the offense didn't have to give up on the run game and 2. the defense kept the game close enough. (Or the game was wildly in Jets' favor, but that's already out of the focus.)

Corollary to this fact is that, even with enough time, if Jets are down by two possessions (14+) Jets are practically as good as dead. If you recall Sanchez's earlier days, you will understand what I mean; those come-from-behind victories Sanchez scored, he did at the tail end of the game. Not by holding the opposing offense scoreless while pounding the ball at the defense.

This also means, if Jets are in position to hand off the ball 30 times a game, they are more likely to win than not.

#77 Zach, Sep 21, 2012
  18. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I love #2 change-of-pace, however starter Shonn Greene just isn't effective enough. He runs hard, but has terrible vision and no speed. We need a playmaker that's going to take pressure off of our pass game. If opposing D's put even 6 or 7 in the box, it's a guarantee we aren't going to break off a big run.

19. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

There was a RB named Earl Campbell who used to get up very slowly after every run. If I'm not mistaken, he is in the Hall of Fame.

20. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

[​IMG]