Timmons Hit on Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedgreenIII, Sep 16, 2012.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know it for a fact. You want to know how I know this? Because during the course of any game, and I mean ANY GAME IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, whenever any starting QB takes a headshot, the cameras are on him on the sideline as soon as medical personnel starts checking him out. Shonn Greene had medical personnel talking to him and the cameras were all over it, and he's just a crappy runningback.

If Mark Sanchez got a medical checkout for a head shot on the sideline, the CBS production crew would have been openly masturbating at the chance to make even the mere suggestion the Tebow might maybe have a slim glimmer of a chance to make it onto the field as the backup.

Oh, by the fucking way, here's your 'sign of a headshot', so stop denying it happened:

[​IMG]

In fact, since there was a fucking personal foul flag thrown for that exact fucking headshot, it's even documented in the referee's infractions report.

2. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

A) fair point with the first part of that
    B) calm down with the second part, I'm not the Steeler fan trying to deny there was a headshot at all. I'm only skeptical that he suffered a concussion, but if he did and the Jets for two weeks in a row send guys back into the game that turn out to be concussed, there WILL be hell to pay. Especially with the second one being a QB after 'clear' helmet to helmet contact.

#82 NYJFan10, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Eh, shitty day, my bad. We'll find out the truth, at least we hope we will. If Sanchez has a concussion, I have no doubt they would try to cover it up after the botched handling of Revis and the apparent botched handling of Greene.

4. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I think the slow motion effect in that GIF that was posted makes the hit seem dirtier than it actually was. Here are two videos. The first one shows it in real-time, the second is another angle in slow motion. It was definitely penalty worthy based on the helmet-to-helmet contact, but I don't think it was overly dirty or cheap.

[YOUTUBE]1P_QQNCmagQ[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]JWBcOIbuODI[/YOUTUBE]

5. joolander

joolander New Member

If it were Brady you would think differently

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

How about not leading with your helmet? That might be one way he could have prevented it... you think?

Now I don't buy into this it changed the game, or it was pre-meditated. I don't think NFL players say before each play I want to injure that guy (at least you'd hope not) but there is a disturbing trend among Steeler players for hits like these. Maybe it's the way they are coached but it's not the 1st time the Steelers have had an issue like this.

In the grand scheme it doesn't matter because a flag was thrown and the Jets failed to capitalize on any other possession and that's on us and our coaching staff. The other thing being ignored here is that if the Jets felt Sanchez was effected on that play it's on our coaching staff to address it but let's not sit here and pretend it was a good clean hit either.

7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

From the replays posted, it seems that after/during the release Sanchez lowered himself & what should've been a hit to the chest area became a head shot. The whole grey area on this to me is that defender appeared to launch himself into the tackle & didn't have time/space to readjust. To me: reckless & deserved to be penalized but not dirty with the intention of injuring qb.

#87 ajax, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  8. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I hear this all the time, yet I can't ever remember complaining about a single hit on Brady. Even the one that injured him looked more like a guy trying to make a play than a "cheapshot" to me. Usually when Brady gets hit hard, the only thing I'm thinking is "See! Brady does take these kind of hits. He's much tougher than people think."

9. gopats88

gopats88 Member

That pretty much sums up my thoughts

10. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Lets stop bitching.

11. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Sanchez out for week 3 ? :sad:

12. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I don't think he was trying to hit him dirty, but he shouldn't be leading with his helmet. You don't do that on a QB in this NFL. He deserved the flag, and possibly a fine, but I don't think he was headhunting or trying to malicious hurt Sanchez. He was trying to pop him, like you want to do to any Qb who is trying to scramble.

13. Steelerstone

Steelerstone New Member

You're seeing it through green glasses, Timmons didn't lead with his helmet, he moved his helmet to his left and Sanchez's motion from the throw brought his head right down to Timmons head. Watch the video and quit whining.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

His helmet is leading, his eyes at the ground. He led with his helmet, that's why it was helmet to helmet. And not facemask to helmet, hand to helmet, shoulder to helmet. The top of his helmet, the part that points to the sky if a player is looking straight ahead hit Sanchez. He led with the helmet

15. Barry the Baptist

I don't think you know what leading with the helmet is. And it's quite clear you know nothing about me by using the phrase "seeing it through green glasses". I am as fair and balanced as it comes. I yelled at my TV when they called that BS penalty on Taylor and I questioned the other one in the final minute or so. I have no problem calling the Jets out for stupid shit. I had no problem with Landry being called for those two late hits because they were late hits. I didn't think there was indisputable evidence on the Redman fumble (but he was down in the backfield and the refs blew that one) so I don't look at things through green glasses. I call it like I see whether it's in our favor or not.

He put his helmet down and just because he may have moved his helmet does not change the fact that he is leading with his helmet. It's the first point of contact. Now maybe Sanchez knew the hit was coming and began to brace for it causing his helmet to move down and was just too slow to get into a brace position but that doesn't change the fact that Timmons was leading with his helmet.

16. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Even if Sanchez doesn't take that little hop to his left, the tackler is still
    to high to hit him below the helmet. Looks like spearing to me.

Article 8(f) states in pertinent part:

"If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and
    forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent
    violently or unnecessarily. Although such violent or unnecessary use of the
    helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent, game officials
    will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those
    players who are in virtually defenseless postures . . ." (Emphasis added.)

Definition: Hitting another player with the crown of the helmet.

[​IMG]

17. Steelerstone

Steelerstone New Member

Fair enough.

I simply don't see it as leading with the helmet when he tried to get his helmet out of the collision by moving his head to the left. He drove his shoulder forward and moved his head left. To me, that is trying "not" to lead with the helmet. The head and helmet occupy probably more than 50% of the surface when you go down for a tackle, the rest is the top of the shoulder pads. No football player is going to prepare for contract by standing tall and exposing his mid-section.

This is a stupid discussion as "nobody" but Jet fans are talking about this......."nobody".

18. Steelerstone

Steelerstone New Member

Thank you for that. The crown of Timmons helmet never touched Sanchez

19. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

He should be fined period! Steelers are known to be Dirty.

20. Barry the Baptist

Well it is a Jets board so we're obviously going to discuss it here but I disagree with the OP because I just think Sanchez mentally was rattled as opposed to actually being injured by the hit. As far as I'm concerned it's a non issue, the play happened, Timmons was rightfully flagged, Sanchez did not appear injured and the Jets didn't seem overly concerned.

People in the national media are too busy discussing the crybaby Giants and Bucs and that's probably a bigger story. Like I said, this is non issue and only would have been oe if no flag was thrown like in the Raiders game last year.

BTW am I the only one who saw that Golden Tate hit on Sean Lee? The Cowboys are crying about that. It was an unreal decleating if I've ever seen one.