2 disturbing trends

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfan987, Sep 17, 2012.

1. jetfan987

jetfan987 Member

1. Runnig out the clock before half time has to stop. The Jets did it yesterday and last week. The Jets had the ball on the 35 with over a minute left and 2 timeouts and the Steelers just scored. 35 yards and you are in very doable FG range. If you remember the Jets home match-up against Miami last year, Sparano did the same thing. The Dolphins had the ball with a minute and change before the end of halftime and were losing. They ran 2 plays up the middle and ran out the clock. We cannot played scared like this all year. Yesterday, they had a decent opportunity to tie the game and they let it go. Before someone brings it up, I understand that Sanchez fumbled the ball in the AFC championship game 2 years ago against the Steelers. You cannot let that past scar limit your teams potential going forward.

2. Landry has to get his head on straight. Love the aggressiveness, but he has to have a sense playing within the rules. He continues to hit people out of bounds and I can just see the personal fouls calls now for helmet to helmet hits. His rep with the refs is getting worse. Reminding me too much of Eric Barton. The guy has great talent, but he seems to lose it mentally.

2. WillBBC

WillBBC Member

Completely agreed on both points. I don't want to see Landry change the way he hits people...just to have a better sense of when and where he's delivering those hits.

Running the clock at the end of the half drove me nuts. No idea what they were thinking there. You have a pretty damn good chance of putting three on the board and instead you sit on it? What the hell is going on with that?

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree.

I think, yes maybe we should have took a shot to put ourselves in FG range, but I also think it was very smart letting the clock run out. The Steelers had momentum in their favor, and last thing we needed was a turnover or stop on defense to allow for more momentum. We were receiving the ball after the half. Good idea to slow the game down and take a chance at the start of the 3rd quarter. This also was Rex Ryan's idea. I highly doubt Sparano solely took the reigns on this one. Highly doubt that.

You want a football player to play aggressive, but then you get mad when he gets penalties? Yes, he did make some dumb plays, but he had 7 tackles the first game and I think 7 again this game. The guy is all over the field. No complaints from me what-so-ever. Keep hittin' em and keep hittin' em hard.

4. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I think the Jets read that situation well, there was no need to panic at that point. I give Sparano credit because with such a young O who knows if Sanchez doesnt throw a Pick 6 like Manning did with 12 seconds left in the half. If we got a bigger return maybe it would have been different, but in that situation we were also getting the ball in the 2nd half only down by 3 points. I liked the safe bet away from home. thats just my 2 cents tho.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Running the clock out at the end of the first half was playing scared. It showed a lack of faith in the O.

If there was some thought that they would go in at halftime and make some adjustments, I sure didn't see any that helped.

Ground and pound does not mean play scared with the passing game when you need it.

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Running out the clock was a pussy move. You get the ball back after the half, you have 2 TO, you are at the 32 yard line. Had 1 minute left and a chance to at least establish some momentum going into the locker room. Felt that was playing scared.

Landry...the horse collar was borderline and he was at full speed trying to make that tackle. The sideline play was late but wasn't even a good hit. More of a bump. Hell if you are going to hit someone late and get flagged he should have laid him out.

7. BookEndTackles 72&79

I don't like it one bit. You need 30 yards to get 3 and with a minute left and two timeouts. You can't just fold like that. They wasted a good return by McKnight. They had two consecutive possessions to try and turn some momentum and gave up on half of it.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Landry is a thug, you had to know he was going to get flagged for a late hit sooner or later.

9. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

I get where your coming from, but hindsight is always 20/20. If the Jets came out on fire in the 2nd half we would all be praising Sparano. I know Sanchez didnt throw any Picks in this game but we all know hes prone to making mistakes and forcing throws. Never the less I think we really lost this game because of Holmes, I have a feeling he was jawing in Sanchez's ear about having a huge game and Mark was looking at him alot more than last week. Didnt really see Mark progressing through his reads. All in all we didnt play horrible we have a good team and we just need to realize were still a work in progress.

In regards to Landry, Ill take a few Personal Fouls with his style of play, he plays possessed, if he stays healthy we will seriously be very very lucky, hes one of the most talented players on our defense. Oh and if we didn't have Landry this post would be about how much Eric smith sucks, so anything that keeps him off the field is cool with me. :)

10. Big Blocker

I agree the horse collar move was borderline. I in fact did not see Landry get his hand inside the collar.

But the main point is it does seem that Landry is under the officials' microscope. It's a tough situation. You don't want him to play without his usual speed and fervor in hitting, but you pretty much know now that all close calls will go against him, and that will hurt the Jets.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you're not going to let Sanchez be Sanchez with a minute left on the clock and some great throws and improvisation needed to get the ball down the field in a hurry then why the hell are you playing Sanchez at QB in the first place?

The only time the guy has been really good for the Jets is when their backs are against the wall and he has to perform or they're screwed. Taking that away is really kind of silly, no?

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Landry's hand was clearly on the inside of the collar. I only had to see the replay once to know how obvious it was.

And he got away with a helmet shot early.

Sorry, guys, but there is enough dirty intent from this guy that an argument to the contrary just kind of looks dumb.

But the Steelers have been winning with intimidation tactics for years, so it's not like I'm saying cut the guy for playing on the edge. Just don't sugar coat it and pretend it's not dirty like some dillweed Steelers fans have been doing for years. It is what it is.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Steelers put helmet on helmet intentionally twice yesterday to beat the Jets. They're not going to stop doing that until the fines become untenable for them. Timmons should be fined at least 100k for the helmet on helmet on Sanchez. Anything less is just a slap on the wrist and he'll "accidentally" do that again the next time he gets a shot.

14. baamf

baamf Active Member

Yep, and giving away possessions is not smart. It's not like we're the 2000 Rams on offense and can score at will. Dumb...

15. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I think he will watch the film and modify his play. Be aware of sidelines...be aggressive in the field of play.

I think his motor is so high right now it is causing issues. That missed sack was an example. Instead of making the sure hit he seemed to be flying at air.

16. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

You have got to be kidding me about Landry.......I guess he should just change his entire game right?

17. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

I'm going to disagree with you on the first point. I'd prefer to be conservative before the half if we're getting the ball back. No need to make a stupid mistake and find ourselves down 10 at the half instead of 3.

I do agree about Landry. He was playing recklessly.

18. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Seriously, that was playing scared there. At the very least they could have put in the wildcat and let Tebow heave one.

19. Big Blocker

Yeah, that was Sparano's call, apparently. It makes no sense to me. Someone posted on another thread that Sparano had done the same thing in a game last year with Miami down before the half.

Ground and pound should not mean playing chicken with your passing attack when the situation calls for aggression.

20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Landry is what he is. I like him in our backfield. The one thing I really want him to fix is the late hits out of bounds. He got 1 this game and could have gotten 1 against the Bills.