Serious question...How can the Jets beat the Steelers week 2?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Just to throw my two cents in about the "Sanchez lining up at WR discussion" ...

The benefit of having him at WR is that they are both in the huddle, so the D can't necessarily sub to go all in on the run.

Also, something I just thought of that I would like to see. Have Tebow in the shotgun, and bring Sanchez in motion into the backfield as the "RB" but get the snap. That could be a nice little wrinkle to mess with the defensive personnel on the field. Probably more of a audible by Tebow than a set play called in the huddle

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

That's the part I don't get. How does having Mark at WR equals both of them (I'm assuming you mean both Sanchez and Tebow) being in the huddle?

3. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

The jets kill it when Jim 'hello friends' Nantz and Simms call the game

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How does it not???

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

and Nantz dies a little inside when they win.

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Umm because wrs are allowed in the huddle too?

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You're joking, right?
    It doesn't because Sanchez was positioned on the far right side of Jets offence, 5 feet from the sideline, facing Bills CB.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

not during the huddle.

they are both in the huddle then mark goes to his position split wide.

get it.?

9. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

Even though the Steelers line is about 60 to 70 percent of what it should be, and Mendenhall won't be a hundred percent either, the Steelers are under tremendous pressure to win this game. They can't afford to go 0-2 here and will fight like hell to prevent it. This is a mini playoff game for them right here in Week 2.

I think the Jets better stop slapping themselves on the back over the Buffalo win and get ready for a hardcore smashmouth game in Pittsburgh. I just hope we don't come out of it with any critical injuries. If the Jets are going to win this game they better be determined right from the start to take it to the Steelers and never let off. This is a mini playoff game right here for Pittsburgh. The Steelers know they cannot lose this game. This won't be easy, but if the Jets come out amped for this game and keep landing punches from start to finish they'll probably come home with a "W".

Last week was last week. Get ready for a fight right here and right now...

#109 BillyGreen, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Oh now I get it! It's selective reading: (some) of you guys read only a portion of someone's post and then start a huge argument about it.

Here's my original post, the one that started this side conversation and the one that I'm sure you missed & started reading only with mezzavo's response:
    It's not the huddle that I'm bitching about, it's how Sanchez is stationed at the edge of the field and how this has no positive value whatsoever.

But let's take your "both in the huddle = no heavy run protection personnel" argument. Say it's true: DC sees both QBs in the huddle and can't substitute properly... Fine. Then however defense sees Sanchez running to the edge of the field and the light bulb goes in their collective heads: "It's a run!!!!" and everyone gets in close to the line. And so the grand benefit to have both in the huddle is really just a 20-sec waiting period. As soon as Mark jogs toward the sideline, the confusion is over & everyone knows exactly what's coming. Big deal!

So tell me something. Besides this vital 20-sec waiting period, is there another benefit to lining Mark at the WR? Because if not, I gotta tell you that (1) making your starting QB useless and (2) forfeiting putting extra WR, RB or TE into a wildcat play seems to be a really shitty trade off for making defense wait.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

if we can get the similar pass protection as last week, stop the run, and get to Ben. we have a solid chance.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

if we do all that its over they have no shot, the Steelers arent the same team we're used to

13. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If you get the play out in time, as long as Tebow isn't under center and in shotgun, Mark can motion to the backfield and get the snap. Then what? It helps that the defense can't have their run package out there and then if needed there can be an extra twist if everyone starts crowding.

16. LWC611

LWC611 Member

First of all, my statement was not intended to convice or pursauade anyone hence it was not an argument. This is a message board and this is my observation. Furthermore you hit the nail on the head regarding the Jets struggles in national games. They are playing good teams and they seem to fall short. It is not an argument it is an observation. That said, I hope the Jets show up and play and win on Sunday.

#116 LWC611, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  17. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

Over/under on Tebow receptions this year?
    I'm thinking this game is a field goal fest.
    I'm also feeling some sacks from Mayhem Maybin.
    Hey Sowell sister....

18. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

19. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I think people over estimate the "confuse the defense" strategy. Keeping them on their toes and not being predictable is good but sometimes getting too unpredictable just messes up the offense as much as the defense. Disguising runs, the occasional wildcat, play action stuff...all good, but I'm worried we're putting too much emphasis on tricking the defense instead of just coming up with well executed, regular plays.

Plus the defensive coordinators for every team we play are going to prepare their players for something like that. They'll just say "if they are both in the huddle but Sanchez splits to WR then do XYZ" it's not like the concept of it is going to just blow the minds of everyone on the defense and they'll just lay down on the ground and we get an guaranteed TD.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I didn't get the same trickery vibe from last week's game that I typically got from Schotty's offense. It seemed like the Jets were putting the times Sanchez came out to good use by dialing up the next play face to face.

The Jets scored a TD coming off that twice.