Delay of game just before the half...explanation?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John127, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I thought it was clearly oob, but it was quickly forgotten when Revis got the ball back.

2. Jim-Jet

Jim-Jet Banned

I am pretty sure Howard's hand was caught in Williams face mask and it took too long to get it detached.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it was too close to overturn the call on the field. at regular speed I was screaming that he was out of bounds, but after the replay I wasn't convinced that he actually was. the very tip of his shoe was certainly infinitesimally close to the very edge of the white line, but it wasn't over it by any means that was conclusive on the replay.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think the tip of his shoe was white and it matched the sideline which made it tougher to see.

It looked the Jets were fine with the delay of game, at least by the way Sanchez told somebody to calm down.

What about the Kerley play? Does the ball have to be in bounds and once it goes out forward progress stops? Because I have seen some generous spots with the ball far outside

5. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

if it wasn't deliberate, then that's ridiculous.

after the spike.. sanchez wanders over to the sideline, some coach walks onto the field to talk to hill.. sanchez chats it up with sparano.. drinks some water.. absolutely no one was in a rush to get a play off. sanchez even watches the clock wind down and tells someone to "settle down."

it had to be planned. take a shot at the end zone, if you don't get a td, just kick it.

6. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

It was planned in order to run the play that they ran. That should be fairly easy to understand.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It was close but his 2nd foot landed out, it may have only been an inch but it was out. Luckily it didn't hurt us but that should have been overturned.

8. WillBBC

WillBBC Member

Completely bogus call. It was a dumb play but it should not have resulted in an INT. The friggin' guy had black shoes on. Half the black was clearly...clearly on the white. It just seemed like the refs weren't going to overturn anything as they were afraid to admit they were wrong.

Hey refs...that's the point. You no longer have to be perfect. You just have to not be ridiculously bad.

9. mrmahon

mrmahon New Member

I concur, maybe they did not want to burn a T.O. , but he ran right over to the sidelines like it was one anyway. Not the biggest deal in my eyes . . . .

10. JetBlue

except they could have run that play without taking the penalty. there was nothing about the play they ran that required taking a 5 yard penalty to call or execute.

that should be fairly easy to understand.

11. John127

John127 New Member

Not only that, but without the penalty it's only 3rd and 3. You can pickup the first if you don't score, spike, and still have at least a play or two left.

If it was purposeful that might be worse than if it was a mistake! Just a bad mental mistake any way you look at it.

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I thought the first three challenges were all wrong. The toe was on the line on the replay, though that was very close. Kerley's was a joke they didn't move the ball forward at all. The fumble recovery on the third review, I thought easily could have been incomplete. Think whatever was called on the field would have stuck there.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I definitely think that is what they were instructed on doing. If its challenged and close keep whatever you called on the field. Only overturn if its extremely obvious.

14. JetBlue

but that is the replay rule to begin with. you have to have conclusive evidence to overturn the call. close will always mean the call stands.

exactly. confusing a spiked ball clock stoppage for a timeout is a mistake.

needing to take a five yard penalty because you don't know what to call in that situation is incompetence.

beyond that, the idea they weren't concerned about adding 5 yards to the FG attempt is ludicrous. coaches argue and fight with refs over inches, and all of a sudden Rex is going to say fuck it to five yards, he is just as content with 3 and 8 as he is with 3 and 3. it makes zero sense.

15. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

personally i think it was a mistake, but i will say this. in madden, down by the goal line i will sometimes take a delay of game so i can open up the field a bit for a pass. i dont think thats what they were doing, but it wouldnt be completely crazy.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

17. JetBlue

that's pretty conclusive.

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If I had to call the play, I would call it out of bounds. However, since its so blurry, its not as conclusive as one would think. Still should have been overturned imo, but if it didn't, I wouldn't be too upset about it knowing we didn't have a clearer picture to prove it one way or the other. If the call on the field was an incompletion, then it would have stayed that way.

19. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

I'm so glad you brought this up.

I was thinking this same thing during the game.