Kerley out of the backfield

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, Sep 11, 2012.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Did anyone see how the Packers used Cobb to run routes out of the backfield? It was pretty much unstoppable when they used it, which wasn't enough as they lost. McCarthy says they plan to do it a lot more going forward.

I think Kerley could do well in that role for the Jets with 3 wide. That would put a dime back or maybe a safety on Kerley and create a mismatch.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Not a bad idea - especially if you can get him on a LB. They could end up creating a lot of personnel mismatches just by the tebow/sanchez package. Teams are going to have to stay honest or they could get burned bad. It's going to be interesting seeing how well they take advantage of this.

3. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

I don't understand the benefit of him being in the backfield. In fact, if Kerley is back there with no RB, it just tips the hand that we don't plan on running the ball. The Packers can do that because, well, they don't run the ball effectively anyhow. Maybe you can help me out here.

4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Did you guys watch the game?
    lol :breakdance:
    They did this on Sunday. You must of missed it.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

An article from the packersnews.com on how they used Cobb in this fashion:

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I definitely missed that ...

I think the idea is to get a favorable matchup in terms of coverage.

Say the Jets trot Sanchez, Tebow, Hill, Holmes, Kerley and Conner out ... what package is the opposing defensive coordinator going to respond with? If he puts a run heavy package in because Tebow is out there you can put Sanchez at QB, Hill and Holmes split wide with Tebow at TE and Conner and Kerley in the backfield. You probably end up with a LB matched up on Kerley in coverage there. There are a lot of possiblities.

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

No doubt. I could see them trotting him out with two plays...if the defense brings in a jumbo run package on d go with the Sanchez play and if they stay base with smaller guys let tebow run. I think it can be used to create all kinds of confusion for a defense. Pull this in the second half a close game and force a team to burn a TO early can bite them in the ass later.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Splain something to me. Can he pick up a blitz? Would you have to be concerned with that running that formation?

When you see a guy like that in the backfield, why wouldn't you call a blitz right at him? You either blow him up in the backfield so he's no threat to run a pattern, or you have a clean shot at the QB.

9. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I like the idea of screen passes to Kerley...as for RB, eh, let's let him learn to be a WR first before a RB.

10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Kerley can throw the ball (evidenced by his Week 17 performance against Miami last season), so why not? Having both Tebow and Kerley in the Wildcat would be something to see. Have a RB, either Powell or McKnight, come in motion and the defense will surely be confused and will have to respect the pass from both Tebow and somewhat to Kerley, and if they don't he may burn them.

Also, out of just regular formations with Sanchez, why not there, too, especially if Powell and McKnight continue to be mostly non-existent.

11. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Didn't watch the Niners/Packers game. Curious how Packers would've dealt with blitzes. Do they rely on Cobb to jump into a hot route & leave it up to their QB to unload the ball before he gets nailed?

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think you're right - it's obviously just a quick read if they blitz. In fact, a blitz may be what Sparano wants them to do.

13. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

why can't Kerley run out of that formation 1x - 2x a game to keep the D honest?
    Now if you have him back there w/ Tebow behind center, it gets interesting.....

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more TT sets with Kerley being the RB or screen pass guy.

15. JerseyFrasca

JerseyFrasca New Member

The jets did this with Dedrick Ward in 97-98. I remember him leaving the backfield in motion a few times, and on the snap excellerated past defenders on an out and up. Why not? The dude can make plays in space.

16. Jiggystoon

Jiggystoon New Member

The more potential options on the field pre snap will only put more pressure on the D to cover off all of those potential plays, I like the idea of Kerley lining up in the backfield, it forces the D to consider him along with anything else that we could be throwing there way, even if we dont use him often, it still forces them to consider the threat, there will be times when he does get open, and times when he doesnt, hopefully we can find him when he does.

17. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Didnt Kerley do stuff like that in college? Im pretty sure they had him throw the ball to.