Delay of game just before the half...explanation?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by John127, Sep 12, 2012.

1. John127

John127 New Member

Havent seen it discussed here so I apologize if I missed it somewhere, but has Rex addressed what happened on that delay of game after the spike to stop the clock? It appears as though the team was acting as if they had a time out. Would love an explanation from Rex because clock management stuff like that is downright scary.

2. joolander

joolander New Member

reminiscent of herm edwards hahaha.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It is obvious what happened -- exactly what you stated. Sanchez spiked the ball then walked over to the bench as if it was a timeout and the play clock expired.

I am not sure what you would be expecting from an explanation except whether Sanchez made the mistake or it was Rex who called him over and made the mistake. Nobody outside of the team needs to know who was to blame for that mistake so nobody from the team should be wasting any time to explain it to us. what good does it do for us to know that any time should be taken to explain it?

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Here's what I think:

It was a third down play with like 25 seconds left I believe. Jets were easily within FG range so that was not an issue, but they had no timeouts. So they spiked the ball and Sanchez went over to the sidelines to make sure they get a good call in and take the 5 yard penalty. I think it was a good call. Santonio just missed getting the second foot down in time. I wouldn't call that bad clock management. Where I did have issue was when Jets were trying to get the Bills offside on a 4th and 1 right before the 2 minute warning. I think the Jets should have just let the clock run out and taken the 5 yard penalty. That too was a chipshot for Folk and the TO could have been vital towards the end. However, Jets thought why save the TO. Theres only two minutes left and most likely, Bills would use the entire 2 minutes on a few plays.

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I don't think it was a mistake. I think it was intentional. Its foolish to think Sanchez and the HC didn't know the clock was expiring. There is almost never a time when the QB can run over to the sidelines, chat for a bit and then make it back in time. Its the NFL. QB/Coach know there just isn't enough time, so its not a matter of "Oh shit, did we run out of time?" They knew what was happening. They just wanted to get a good play in. They almost did too.

6. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think it was intentional to give them more space for the stop and go. Holmes got free.

7. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Sanchez clearly knew the delay of game was coming, he even made a motion back to someone on the field to calm down, as if they knew what they were doing. If you DVR'd the game, you can go back and see it.

I really just think they wanted more time to get the call right.

8. JetBlue

if the team isn't able to or confident that they can make a good play call within the normal play clock and thinks they need two play clock cycles to do so, that is certainly more troublesome than a brain fart about the time clock.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Was it not Tebow that had the Delay, or were there two? The Tebow one was due to wrong personnel according to Tim.

10. Montana

Montana Member

He made that motion after he realized the clock was going to expire though....re-watching the game last night, it seemed more like a f*ckup, than anything.

11. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I think, like a previous poster mentioned, they weren't concerned about the 5 yards if they ended up having to kick a FG.

But, no, poor clock management (aka a "brain fart") would concern me far more than Rex/Sparano having the confidence in Folk to kick it 5 more yards and take the time to pick the right 3rd down play. If you notice, even the best coaches choose to call a TO on a critical 3rd/4th down... we just didn't have the TO to do it.

IDK, I'll have to watch it again later. I was pretty sure it looked planned.

I really hope it was planned, because I use to assume Schotty was to blame for that seemingly happening every game the last few seasons. There'd be no excuse for Mark or the coaching staff fouling up like that.

12. JetBlue

I don't have the game recorded but when I watched it live it certainly looked like a mistake. so many things can go wrong in any game that no coach would just give up 5 yards to contemplate what play is called.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I might be wrong but there was another delay of game that troubled me more.
    Didnt we bring Tebow in on second and goal or within the 10 or so and time run out before he could execute the play. What was up with that? Was I dreaming it

14. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think you see that happen a lot -- a quarterback spikes it and sort acts like it's a time out. There's something about spiking it that feels like a time out to them.

15. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I just don't think they got the switch done quickly enough. It's a sort of indictment of the whole wildcat thing. But they'll get it worked out.

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

i honestly thought it was intentional when it happened...they took more time and were willing to take the 5 yards..

but it could have just as easily been a fuck up

17. John127

John127 New Member

Just rewatched it and it does look like Mark understood what he was doing when he waved at someone on the field.
    Not sure I buy the theory about making space for the throw though. It wasn't like they had time for only one play. If they pick up the first they have another shot. A third and three is preferable at that point to third and eight.

Anyway, I'm shocked that with all the inane post game questions reporters asked no one asked about this. Coaches are asked about specific play calls, etc. all the time so it wouldn't be weird of the the coach to divulge his thinking in time management areas, or if it was simply a mistake, as a previous poster asserted.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great point

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

speaking of unexplained plays, did anyone discuss the sanchez INt where the Bills player was out of bounds? It looked that way on the big board at the Stadium and watrching it again at home his 2nd foot was OOB, why has no one talked about this?

20. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I demand a press conference!