Bills prepare for Wildcat package

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Sep 3, 2012.

1. catsigater

catsigater New Member

I think for the most part this week we'll stay away from the wildcat, unless the regular offense isn't working.

2. foreboding

foreboding Member

Bills Defense sees the Bills package all the time.
    They had no problem with it last year against a team with a better O-Line in Denver. I really do not think the game will hinge on the Wildcat or the Bills forced to prepare for it.

Against a team that does not have a wildcat package, sure.

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Yo are presuming that our WC will be much the same WC that has been used before, or is like what the Bills use. That might just be a mistake :)

4. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

I'm a Jets fan and I think its laughable that anyone thinks the WC going to make any real impact on the game. As for defending it, it's pretty simple when T-bow comes in you stack the box, leave single coverage WR, treating Tbow like a running back. Who in their right mind would respect him as a passer. I can't see the Jets using him more than a handful of times in goal line and short yardage situations.

5. Demosthenes9

Did you get that bright idea from Dick LeBeau ? Seems that this exact strategy left the Steelers saying "what? what ? what just happened ?"

6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

If that were true, wouldn't that be the defense against the Wildcat for any team -- like say, Brad Smith for Buffalo?

7. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

How about the other 50 plays during the season he looked awful. This year he will only get a handful of times a game to try to repeat that magical moment you are so fond of. No there isn't anything secret or scary about the WC or Tbow. Sad that the only offensive hope we have is in gadget WC plays.

8. Demosthenes9

What's sad is that you haven't even seen the actual offense that we will be running, yet you've already dismissed it apparently.

9. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

too much emphasis is put on schemes. If you have talented players who can execute, that's going to spell success. Brady to Welker for short screen pass or Brady to Gronk over the middle. Secret? No, but can you stop it? What makes the Pats hard to defend is they can on any down do a variety things and do them well. WC/Tbow is one dimensional where we take out the player who we built our franchise around (Sanchez) and substitute a running back who throws poorly (Tbow). You find that tricky and scary that NFL defenses won't be able to properly defend? If our WC is successful it will because our o-line made good blocks and opened up a running lane for Tbow and the Bills tackle poorly, not because they didn't know how to defend the WC.

#49 Jon_Snow, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  10. Demosthenes9

Actually, it's both scheme and execution. Pats get mismatches all over the field because of their schemes. They then take advantage of this mismatches.

If you want to argue Tebow, I'll happily do that all day long. His passing is much improved over last season. He's much more consistent. The ball is coming out of his hand better and faster. He's been more accurate and has been putting balls in tighter windows. All this has been done largely working from under center and taking normal "drops".

Go back and look at what he was most successful with last year, and you will see that it was working out of the shotgun with spread formations. Spread formations create matchup problems for the defense and it opens up the box. It's one of the reasons that I'm hopeful that our WC actually is the Spread Option.

11. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

My point is if you can't execute or don't have the talent doesn't matter what you call. A lot of what the Pats run isn't a secret especially if you play in the division. They do one thing well, then force the defense to compensate for it then run something else that takes advantage of that.

I'll give you Tbow has improved, but improved doesn't mean NFL caliber QB.

From everything I've heard Tbow will NOT be used like he was in preseason. In my opinion that's a good thing. We can agree to disagree.

Jets apologist say the reason why our offense stunk in preseason was because we were playing vanilla. Guess what every team in preseason was playing vanilla. We stunk because we stunk. Pinning hopes on a few WC plays in regular season game seems naive to me.

#51 Jon_Snow, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

David Lee, the WR coach for the Bills helped install the WC in Miami, they have plenty of knowledge on the Wildcat.

Maybe both offenses will be so bad, it'll be a wildcat vs wildcat game, that would be an awful game

13. Demosthenes9

Don't know that we are disagreeing. Tebow still has work to do to QB a "conventional" offense. Put him in the shotgun all the time and things change considerably. This preseason, they had him working under center, developing him as you would any other young QB.

As for the offense, we have a new coaching staff on offense and they treated the preseason just like practice or scrimmages. they ran specific plays to evaluate personnel. In practices, the make up of the oline kept shifting around. This gave guys some reps/experience in other positions (like Slauson at Center). It also served to help with evaluations for the depth chart. While that was going on, the 5 starters didn't spend that much time together working as a cohesive unit. As with QBs and WR's, or DBs and Safeties, the guys on the Oline have to develop chemistry. Most times, teams carry over the same offensive scheme from one season to the next, along with the coaches and largely the same personnel, so there's much more "continuity" there. They might replace one guy, but everyone else is on the same page.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

and when Tebow is playing FB what then? Do you single cover 2 fast WR? Hummmm

15. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The fact that they are preparing so hard for it, makes me think we shouldn't use it at all, just to slap them in the face.

16. MeanGreenfightingmachine

yes, except if you do that you leave nobody on the line to help block Mario Williams, Mark Anderson, Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus... how would a WR have time to get open downfield?

17. MeanGreenfightingmachine

I don't understand this statement

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You mean like this, right?

[YOUTUBE]7zuUIhv8z3M[/YOUTUBE]

19. MeanGreenfightingmachine

The Bills wildcat works better with Fred Jackson anyway

20. MeanGreenfightingmachine

TJ Graham..............................