NFL Pocket-Passing Myth

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Backup QB, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Exactly. That a QB CAN run, and is used as a weapon on DESIGNED runs, and when appropriate, CAN scramble for yardage doesn't make him a "running" QB, nor does it mean that he can't pass.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

"I want to wait on RGIII" I believe I said that before placing RGIII. I said I think he might end up as a run first this season.

Tebow is run first. Old vick is. Newton. These are guys who once they run its run. They make the decision and go. This differs from Rodgers,Big Ben, and Romo who are all athletic QBs who run also. They always have their head up and trying to throw til the last second looking for the big play. Tebow and Newton, most of the time when they look to run its to run, not to pass. That's why I classify them as a run first QB. If there is nothing there, first thought it run. For the athletic QB, its not necessarily run, but move laterally or up to throw. While Tebow and Newton and old Vick do this at times, they are much more decisive and go.

I'm not saying one is better than another, just that from my viewing their thoughts differ and that's why I say run first QBs.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

In the NFL I don't see Tebow as a throw first QB. He likes his legs and will take off without progressing through all his reads. When takes off, its run and most of the time his head isn't up to throw. In my mind he is a run first QB.

He has been working on that this preseason as I have seen turn his head and even go back to an original read. It will help in the long run being able to do this in combination with his legs.

Now we obviously disagree, but I'm stating here and in the above post why I have Newton, Tebow, and old Vick in the "run first" category. I don't think McNabb goes there or Ben or Romo or Rodgers.

#63 displacedfan, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  4. Tasty Burger

Tasty Burger New Member

The fact that Timmah! can't pass effectively or consistently is the reason people say that he can't pass.

5. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

QFT

Stop hating on vampires

/all around the world, the stupid people are breeding

6. JFjets

JFjets New Member

lol, what a joke.

Tebow College Games:

995 pass attempts

692 run attempts

Tebow NFL Games:

353 pass attempts

165 run attempts

To say that a guy who threw 88 TD passes and was one of the most elite passing QB's in NCAA history, was a "run first" QB is one of the most absurd things I've ever seen said about Tebow, and I've seen a bunch.

You want to foist that line of thinking off on someone, better try it on a group of folks who don't know any better.

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Let's bring up college last time I checked Tebow was not in college anymore. Let's revist what he was asked to do in college make one read if it is not open run.

Tebow is a run first Qb in the NFL no teams fear his passing they respect his running. Get young head out of the clouds.

Better yet keep it there I don't care you see I have the only stat that matters. Tebow is not a starting Qb in the NFL he is a gadget player. No matter what I think or what you think the facts are just the facts Tebow is running the wildcat and a punt protector.

As soon as tebow is not an effective runner anymore he will not be in the NFL. Why? Because Tebow can't throw period 46% completion just won't cut it. It was even lower this preseason this is not getting better it is getting worse.

8. TTTTebowAndTheJets

This has nothing to do with the fact that he is playing a form of offense he has weaknesses in to better his game???... That he didn't run one snap in the spread option and hardly anything from shotgun???...he was trying to get better and the coaches were trying to make him better this offseason by handcuffing him and making him do what he's not comfortable doing. He hasn't regressed. If he was running a shotgun read option offense and his numbers dipped, you'd have an argument. Always take preseason with more than a couple grains of salt... Its basically just glorrified practice games and nothing more!

9. Tasty Burger

Tasty Burger New Member

Now that Timmah! is playing in the NFL. His college stats are no longer very relevant. They are as relevant as his High School stats when discussing his NFL performance. And they become less relevant with every bad pass he throws.

10. JFjets

JFjets New Member

His Pass/Run ratio is higher in the NFL than it was in college. Try again.

11. Tasty Burger

Tasty Burger New Member

I don't really see how his run pass attempt ratio has anything to do with his inability to throw a good pass consistently.

#71 Tasty Burger, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  12. JFjets

JFjets New Member

The question was whether or not he is a "run-first" QB. His stats in both college and the NFL say he is not. You disputed that his college stats were relevant. I disagree with that, but his NFL stats state the case even more starkly. So now you want to change the subject and say that his run/pass ratio doesn't have any relevance to what I'm saying, that he is not a "run-first" QB? Get a life.

13. Tasty Burger

Tasty Burger New Member

I wasn't following your conversation, I was interjecting my own thoughts. And Timmah! still can't throw a good pass over 20 yards to save his life.

14. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Thanks for adding to the discussion... Randomly throwing your useless thoughts adds so much to the conversation... We all appreciate it.

15. JFjets

JFjets New Member

That much is clear. If you want to just post random thoughts, maybe you ought to start your own thread. If you want to participate in this one, a good idea would be to discuss what is being discussed, and you interjected your "own thoughts" into a conversation about whether or not he is a "run-first" QB.

Try to keep up.

16. siconik

siconik New Member

Wasn't Vince Young also an "elite college passer"? How is that working out for him?
    In fact, I predict Tebow's career will follow a very similar trajectory.

17. Bannon

Bannon New Member

You mean Tebow get close to 48 starts at quarterback in the NFL?

18. catsigater

catsigater New Member

No. As a matter of fact, he wasn't. Not even close.

Thanks for playing, though.

19. Demosthenes9

I honestly have to ask, how many of Tebow's games have you actually seen ? The reason I ask is that you seem to either don't know about, or are completely ignoring the many times that Tebow scrambled, bought time, kept looking down field and passed the ball. That, or the times that he ended up taking sacks precisely because he was trying to find someone down field instead of running the ball.

Go look at the end of the Miami game, when Tebow scrambled and threw the TD to Thomas. Or the game against the Vikings where he scrambled left, stiff armed a LB, then threw the TD pass to Thomas. Or the Bears game where he scrambled to the right, ran towards the line then hit Thomas in the end zone for a TD. Earlier in the game, he scrambled left and then threw that INT on the left sideline. In the Pitt game, his first big pass to DT was after he scrambled to the left.

Basically, if you really look at it, if he's getting pressure from one guy or one side, he scrambles out and tries to find someone down field. If there's pressure all around or if the pocket collapses entirely, he runs for it. Or, if he's scrambling and there's a ton of open daylight in front of him, of course he runs for it.

I mean, I don't recall seeing Fox, McCoy or Elway upset at the fact that he ran the ball for a TD after avoiding the Jets blitz, as opposed to trying to find someone to throw the ball to.

With the above in mind, I seriously question your conclusion that he's a "run first" QB. Now if you want to say that he scrambles too much and instead, should learn that there are times when he can just step forward in the pocket, or to the left/right, that would be a different discussion :)

20. Demosthenes9

As has been demonstrated repeatedly, you don't know shit about what Tebow did in college, and this latest statement from you is no different. Urban Meyer did not run a "one read" offense, and Tebow didn't play in a "one read" offense.

And again, Pittsburgh found out what happens if you don't fear his passing.

You don't have a single stat that frakking matters cval. You are so full of shit that it's coming out your ears.