Replacement Referees

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by HAYN, Aug 29, 2012.

1. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Is it just me who thinks these guys horrible? I get that they are Bravo team refs, but gawt damn i swear pop warner guys could make better judgement calls.

From reports today the NFL announced that they will start the season with these jokes. We've seen the missed calls and the overall tempo of a preseason game with them, I can't imagine how it'll be in regular season games when EVERY game matters. I really hope that the NFL and the Alpha team refs can get a deal done soon!!

2. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

LOL at the refs doing the Giants-Pats game. Called an illegal shift and personal foul on the Giants. Took them fifteen minutes for them to decide what to do.

3. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

They're really, really, really terrible. So bad that commentators have gone out of their way to compliment the decisions that they (somehow) manage to get correct. Using the replacement refs in Week 1 is not only a threat to the league's integrity and an underhanded way for the NFL to save money (replacements make something like 4% of what normal refs do), but to allow these goons to make decisions that can determine future fines/suspensions (not to mention the outcome of 1/16 of a team's games) is unacceptable.

/overthetoptruth

4. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

NFL and the official referees better make a deal ASAP to get the replacement refs out of the game and have the officials get back to their job. Even though the NFL refs are very unpopular, they at least have the training to work on the clock and not be this slow.

5. reverseapachemaster

I thought during the Carolina game the commentators said regular refs make $8k per game and the replacement refs make $2k a game.

6. Satire?

Satire? Guest

The experience I can most closely relate to watching these refs is watching my sister eat butter

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

im for replacements. We need new refs when facing the Patriots.

8. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

That's what I was referring to. The commentators were a little bit later corrected and told it was $50k a game.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think they said $5.5k...

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The offficials don't make remotely close to $50,000 per game - they make on average about $150,000 per year, which including preseason games comes to about $8000 per game, as was said on the broadcast. It depends on seniority - rookie referees make an average of $78,000 per year. The NFL's proposal would raise those numbers to $190,000 and $165,000, respectively, by the end of the deal in 2018.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...se-replacement-officials-start-regular-season

The referees don't want to give up their pension (defined benefit plan) for a defined contribution (401(k)) plan, and I don't think they'll win on that, especially since the league has offered to grandfather all current referees into a defined benefit plan - defined benefit plans are a thing of the past, and that's just the way it is. They also want fulltime officials to be paid at a level comparable to other sports with far longer seasons (20-year veterans getting $350,000-$400,000 with health insurance, pension, paid vacation, etc.), which is far more money than a lot of the numbers that have been thrown around.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8275139/nfl-wants-reduce-referees-pay-add-three-full-time-crews

11. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this has been touched on, but the referees for last night's Patriots/Giants game were pathetic. Please bring back the real refs.

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I'll bet you Pats fans want the "real" refs back.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, the real refs can always sign the deal and then it is over. In the meantime they aren't going to cancel the season because they won't.

14. New England Patriots

You're right. The Patriots success is all tied to having the refs in their pockets and not a top 3 all time QB and a HOF coach. Good call! :up:

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

But you do understand that you haven't won a thing since getting caught and the fact the NFL burned the evidence makes it all look even worse. The "coach" will always be tainted.

16. New England Patriots

We've won quite a bit. Perfect season, 2 SB's, 4 playoff wins, 2 MVP's. I'd say it was quite a successful past 4 years.

And in that same period, that "coach" has won 2 coach of the year awards. Keep trying to take away from the success, but at the end of the day I would not trade places with you.

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Ya, you need refs paid by the Jets, because the impartial ones haven't been working out for them.

18. grumpynyjetsfaninME

the patriots fans see that these guys dont have a bunch of man crushes in brady.

19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

A lot of us see it that way. Having a specially privalidged Oline helps make that QB,which helps make the coach.