Joe Namath: Jets seem more interested in headlines than winning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetzIII, Aug 29, 2012.

1. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Namath, the Hall of Fame former Jets quarterback who has spent much of the past year questioning the current direction of the franchise, was at it again today in an interview with Adam Schein on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“I’m concerned with how the Jets are trying to build a team and win a championship,” Namath said. “They seem more interested in the headlines.”

Namath also said that if the Jets are going to pull Mark Sanchez to have Tim Tebow run the wildcat, that’s a strong indication that they don’t believe Sanchez has what it takes to run the offense effectively.

“The only reason to run the wild cat is if your offense isn’t working,” Namath said.

But despite Namath’s grave concerns about the Jets’ offense, he also said he thinks the Jets’ defense is good enough that they should win nine or 10 games this season. Which means that, for all his criticism, Namath is probably higher on the Jets than most NFL observers are. Which doesn’t speak well for the views of the Jets around the NFL.

I can't stand him anymore.

2. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Who cares? It's Namath.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Namath is right but he's also wrong. The Tebow acquisition itself was for the headlines, not the actual Wildcat.

4. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Yeah, coming on an 8-8 season and the Giants winning the Superbowl, after Rex garaunteed a superbowl and I'm sure Rex and co. are more interested in the Media headlines?

I don't buy that. The Media has been crucifying the Jets, and everyone thinks they're going no where this season, I'm sure Rex would love not hing more than shutting them up.

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

When the Tebow move was made, it was hard to say there wasn't some type of PR involved. It reeked of a Woody Johnson move. It also has football value, and for a 4th round pick, they didn't give up a ton, but I understand people having that opinion.

I'm sure that's how Namath thinks. I'm not going to crucify him for it. He's Namath. Period. I wish he wouldn't speak his mind, but whatever.

6. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

I heard the interview....Not worth a post!

7. jlee499

jlee499 Member

What's not to stand? He's just giving an opinion like you and everyone else on this board... and to be honest, he probably has more knowledge of the game then most on here. He put the Jets on the map and nothing he does now changes that.

8. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Namath = SOJQB.

If Sanchez is moving the ball, scoring, Timmy may never see the field. If things go like last season, he may see a lot of time.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While Namath's opinion may be right, especially about Sanchez, why is he saying it? Why is he bashing the jets other than to get publicity for himself. While I agree with his opinion I don't think he should be saying it. It is just another distraction and the Jets need less of that. He would be much better served by being supportive and playing a fatherly role. Instead it just sounds like he has issues with the FO.

10. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

I say: Fuck this old, inebriated, senile derelict.

I have lost zero respect for him these last two years.

11. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

He was asked a question and he answered it honestly......period!

12. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

You're as dumb as the dumbfucks who talk shit about the Jets non-stop on ESPN.

If you truly don't think Tebow will prove to be an asset to the Jets in some capacity, you simply don't know football.

13. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

He never says anything good about the Jets or ever anything positive.
    I don't care, I just hope the Jets prove everyone wrong.

14. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Namath needs to put a sock in it already. I'm so sick of him whining about this team. If you want to find a typical SOJ fan, look no further than this guy. Why not work with Sanchez and help him reach his potential instead of criticizing the team every possible moment? Oh wait I know. You wouldn't want him to surpass your legacy because your opinion suddenly becomes irrelevant. Sanchez has already broken just about all of your post season records, Joe. If he wins a SB, he instantly surpasses Namath. I don't think Namath could take that blow to his ego. Sure the Jets like headlines because it increases ratings, but bringing in Tebow was clearly about the WC, not just selling seats. Namath is just bitter because he thinks he's above everyone else and that the Jets can't win without him. Sanchez needs to prove him wrong this year.

0 TDs in the preseason? Yeah, just like your 0 TDs in the superbowl we won.

#14 Barcs, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  15. Sweet P

Sweet P Banned

I'm sure he would have alot for you too. The man has and had more talent in his pinky that you could only dream of. Have some respect ass clown!

16. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Pretty much summed it up.

I rarely disagree with Namath.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Tim Tebow as a Football player can help this team out. Tim Tebow the Quarterback can't run a conventional offense so no he cannot help this team out. It's obvious that Tebow was brought here FIRST for the exposure. If they really wanted to run the Wildcat, Jeremy Kerley has plenty of experience doing so.

How does that make me a stupid fuck? Oh yeah that's right it doesn't, your a fucking idiot because you can't comprehend what I was saying.

18. Bob Robbins

Bob Robbins New Member

I'm pretty sure he's said literally this exact thing already earlier in the year, so I'm not sure the topic was necessary. I guess he did say a little more this time though.

I actually like Namath a lot. Some people bash him for "hating on the Jets to stay relevant" but the fact of the matter is the media wants to talk to him and they bring these questions to him. He doesn't go out of the way to bash the Jets, he speaks his opinion because he was and is the one of the most relevant Jets of all time and people want to hear it. I guess some fans don't, which is funny to me because most of them bash the team as well but I guess in their mind it's not OK for Namath to talk bad about them.

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The media thrives on hate. This is why they ask Namath the questions. They know what he's going to say. It's not like Namath's a football player and can't avoid media questions. Its completely his own decision to speak with them. He's a big boy, he knows what he's doing.

20. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think he's exaggerating. Tebow should make a good role player like Brad Smith. He'll be punt protector, and will be a credible fake punt threat. He could take snaps inside the opponents 5 yard line and help to score TDs. Also, he'll sell more t-shirts.

#20 dmw, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012