It seems like Schilens is going to make the team...Why?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 29, 2012.

1. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Can't tell if Srs or...

Anyway I'd be open to cutting Schillens an bringing in Plax for red zone. At least of all the F.A.s available he's had some experience with Dirty. Although he's probably hella outta shape.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Never wanted Chaz in the first place. This guy is as brittle as they come. Surprising his former WR coach who is our coach probably wanted him. You can't make the club if you are in the tub. Dump him now and be rid of him.

3. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

$500k guarantee and the backing of the position coach and size and speed...

Just keep him an see if anything turns out. He is 5th or so on the roster... oh, he is taking a spot from what no name? Ocho, TO, Plaxico, Gaffney... Oh, maybe Braylon gets cut loose?! I for one am tired of the old and washed up one year guys. Maybe Shilens can help for, well, maybe not two years, but he is already here.

4. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Yeah lets cut a guy who knows and has been learning the system all offseason for a guy who would have to learn it in a week. If im not mistaken he will be healthy for week one and has the skills to play why cut him now, makes ZERO sense.

5. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Was annoyed when the WR coach vouched for him. Then just as expected, he comes in & spends most of the training camp injured. His whole career has been one long injury and then once in a while he'll play a game & go back to being injured. Can't contribute on special teams or anything else because he's always injured. Waste of a roster spot.

If the WR coach wants him so bad then he should be replaced also. Let both of them find another team.

6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

we're talking about the 4th guy on our depth chart....over the course of a season we arent going to be screwed by cutting him...

in fact whoever we cut we can deactivate for week 1 to give them extra time.

also to those saying his $500K guarantee is reason to keep him...you're kidding right? $500K is the equivalent to 50 cents in the NFL.

7. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Chaz Schillens is a worthless piece of shit who should be ashamed of himself for his uselessness.

CUT HIM!!!!!

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If he's healthy for week 1, prob better off keeping him on the roster. I think it's Patrick Turner's time to step up and make an impact anyway.

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I don't think we should cut him unless we can find someone else decent to bring in. Right now we are too thin at WR. If Chaz does get healthy and play, he can contribute for us, plus he's a good stand in for Hill until he develops.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Schilens can play when healthy and if they think he will be healthy week 1 he's going to be on the team.

11. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

We don't have to sign another WR, we have Cro.

(null)

12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I don't think he should be cut. He may have been injured for most of the preseason, but he does have some experience and that is something this WR corps lacks. It is way too close to the season to cut him and try to find a replacement. He knows the offense. Anyone else we bring in would have to learn it in 1 week. Not enough time.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Clearly, the FO thinks he's better than the young receivers on the team if he does make it. That can be viewed as an indictment on the young guys, or belief in Chaz's talent. Probably both.

14. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

Here's the problem: We have a #1WR coming off an injury that could reinjure it at any time. We have a #2WR that's a rookie and was injured in camp. We have a reciever in Kerley who's only 5-9" and caught for 300 yards last season. We have a guy in Patrick Turner who has caught exactly 10 passes in two years for this team.

Conclusion: Sign Plaxico Burress and stop messing around already.

15. TurkJetFan

I'm not sure Plaxico is the answer. There will be better more versatile options out there.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

If we picked up Plax, I'd be extremely disappointed if we used him anywhere but the red zone. His presence definitely helps bring some positives in the red zone, but between the 20s he just couldn't get open without committing penalties. Didn't we have the highest red zone efficiency last year, plus the highest 3 and out percentage? You normally wouldn't expect that, but that pretty much sums up our offensive woahs last year. We could convert when we got there, but we could barely get there. With Plax gone, I think the positive and negative balance out a bit better. I just hope Kerley can get with the program. His injury and lack of targets in general worries me a bit. I hope he's not "fading". I know he's a starter, but I think he should play in the game on Thursday, just for the reps.

17. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

But does that matter when he's NEVER healthy?

18. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

It's kind of hard for any of your recievers to catch a ball between the 20's when your QB is getting slammed on his face every 30 seconds. Again, Plax is one of those recievers that doesn't have to be able to gain separation from a DB because if the ball is anywhere in the vacinity he is going to outjump and outreach you for it. This has gotten ridiculous now, MT should just sign him as a redzone threat and as an insurance policy against all these fragile WR's we've got.

19. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

I think they at least owe Schilens a chance to contribute in the regular season. They signed him early in the off season so that means there was probably some other teams interested and he chose to sign with us presumably on good faith with our W/O coach that vouched for him.

It doesn't look like Plax is not getting any interest by anyone else ( another reason to be leery of him ) but if Schilens can't stay on the field then we can grab Plax, even though he doesn't have the speed of Chaz he can still be a big target.

20. TurkJetFan

The Jets owe Chaz Schilens nothing.