Can we admit we dont have an avg offense now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There was an article in the Times about the party line coming out of Jetland yesterday, and it was basically "what, me worry?" Of course the party line doesn't mean anything, but here's what will:

If the Jets go into opening day without even trying to upgrade RT, that will tell you all you need to know about this FO.

I have been concerned for some time that they had no real plan to upgrade RT once it became clear that VD was not going to make it there and Hunter did not live up to expectations. They were basically not going to admit both those decisions sucked. And Harris? The aborted Otah trade? Those are supposed to count as real efforts?

Not to me they don't.

I am not a Sanchez Fan, but we can't even get a decent read on him as long as Hunter is in there. This is shaping up as the worst season prospect since the Jets let Pete Kendall go without a Plan B.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

why would we trade our starting RB right before the season w/ no one to step in for him?

3. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

We bag this season, get all 1st round draft picks next year and an easy schedule and host the Super Bowl in our own building,, TANNY IS A SMART MAN. Go Jets

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How do you suggest the jets "get all 1st round draft picks"?

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And who plays QB for the Jets during that magical season? Mark Sanchez certainly won't be up to the job and Tim Tebow never was and never will be.

Somehow I have a hard time envisioning Greg McElroy, Matt Simms or Matt Barkley going all the way with the Jets in 2013.

This even assuming that bagging a season is the way to prepare for the next one. I don't care how many high draft picks you get out of bagging a season, you make all of your players fractionally worse in the process.

6. Br4d

Yeah, and Tebow's at 4.3 in 22 attempts. The Jets are doing a Throw and Pound offense apparently.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

And Brady's is 4.3 and Rodgers is 3.9. So fucking what?

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

In the middle of the rest of the mess I couldn't help noticing the Giants got their third string Qb in the game, while the Jets did not. Count that as another net negative of the Tebow trade. He needs the reps, when we know he will suck as a backup, and so the other Qb's never see the field.

I don't call that smart football.

9. nyjunc

when will people understand what preseason is all about? especially for us in a barnd new system and w/o 3 players who will play big roles for this offense- holmes and kerley who are hurt and tebow who has been running the 2nd team rather than playing his role w/ the first team.

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Honestly its getting really painful around here. The only legitimate criticism of the offense I understand right now is the O line and particularly Hunter. All the people complaining about the play calling of Sparano is ridiculous. Vanilla is too flavorful for what he has been doing so far. I don't expect us to be world beaters on offense by any means but to think we should be expecting 10 ppg on O is silly.

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No idea what you are talking about.

He's the only one on offense that's expendable, has some value and has a contract a team will take on.

RB isn't rocket science plus he's not doing a substantial amount of blocking as the right side is getting penetrated over and over.

The fill in doesn't even need to be a great blocker as long as the RT can handle his job.

#211 GQMartin, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  12. Br4d

The difference is you expect Tebow's numbers to be crappy and they are.

You have to look at context and when you have a good QB putting up crappy numbers momentarily it is a whole different thing than when you have a crappy QB putting up crappy numbers over the same span of time.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Stop w/this nonsense. Preseason passer ratings and averages and what not are meaningless. If they meant anything Brett Ratliff would be a top 10 QB in the NFL today.

You're talking about a limited sample size using vanilla play calling and missing any player with an ouchie to make sure everyone is healthy for week one. The numbers don't mean shit.

14. Br4d

Nothing the Jets are doing right now is smart. It's like the FO has decided that the smartest course of action in the face of overwhelming incompetence on the field is to go hide under a pile of coats in the corner.

15. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Seriously?

Brady and Rodgers really have to prove themselves in the pre-season?

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The preseason isn't about "proving yourself" unless you're in a QB competition which Sanchez and Tebow are not.

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Is that what he said? Its not really hard to understand the point. People are criticizing Sanchez in the preseason using a stat saying this is why he's not a good QB when 2 of the 3 best QBs in the NFL are basically worse.

18. nyjunc

Expendable? so get rid of the only reliable RB we have for a RT? how would we wun the football w/ Powell & Mcknight? That doesn't make much sense to me, if we had another starting caliber back maybe you think about it but in our current situation I think that would be foolish.

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

If our third QB is going to have any impact on the season we're going to be in big trouble anyway. If Tebow can be the new Brad Smith and give us some insurance if (when?) Sanchez takes one hit too many than we're in better shape than last year.

20. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand for alleged football fans. My wife hates football, avoids it as much as she can, and when I was getting upset during the Giants game she said "it's preseason, so who cares?"

Drives me nuts how some people are reading so much into it, especially with all of the injuries we have. The O-line is mostly there so that sucks but the receivers are mostly out.

Let me put it this way, so far in the preseason the Green Bay Packers are 0-2 and the Cleveland Browns are 2-0. Doesn't that sum up how much stock to put into the preseason right there?