sooooo...the power rankings on nfl.com came out...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets FTW!!, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

LoL. You're all for optimism but you say 9-7 at absolute best when we went 11-5 2 years ago with a similar team. You act like the team is the exact same team from the end of the year last year, and the off season didn't happen. SCHOTTY lost the pulse of our offense, and it pissed off Holmes because we invest big dollars in a good receiver and he barely gets targets. We've addressed almost every aspect of that during the off season, but by all means copy and paste generic SOJ fan nonsense in unrelated threads just to spread hate.

#21 Barcs, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Meh. Patriots & Packers have issues on D. They aren't exactly the most balanced teams and last season proved it. Packers had a dominating defense the year they won the superbowl. Patriots fall short almost every year when they play a good defensive team in the playoffs. 49ers I'll give you, but I still think Giants D and O is better than them. Eli Manning > Alex Smith by a longshot. He proved it last year. Ravens, sure. Texans, I don't think so but we'll see. They could be amazing again or they could be mediocre. I think people give them too much credit. Giants are at worst a top 7 team. Maybe not #1, but they are close to it when you look at the balance between offense and defense. I don't see all that many teams as well balanced as they are.

#22 Barcs, Aug 15, 2012
  3. pender30

pender30 Member

That's bush league that they list us as Tebow. What a joke from nfl.com.

4. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

The Jets are alot more like the team that finished 0-3 last year than the 11-5 two years ago.

Exactly what have the Jets done to address their offensive woes?

Same mediocre QB, a bunch of no-name JAG's in the backfield, one of the worst receiving groups in the NFL and the worst starting RT in the NFL.

Jets offense will be bottom 5 in the NFL this season.

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Despite all your gross exaggerations we weren't bottom 5 in the NFL in offense last year. Why is that then?

Sanchez is still young and improving. Greene had a 1000 yard season. We had a change at OC which many believe to be a big improvement. Also we could be better at WR this season seeing as how we replaced slow as mud Plaxico Burress with younger faster receivers.

Just because the Patriots defense played bottom 5 last year doesn't mean they will this year. Teams change and improve without adding A list free agents year to year.

6. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

This team is not as good as that team was.

Much better RB, a true number 1 WR, and Holmes, and Cotchery.

A far better OLine.

A younger defense.

And, let's not forget that team won 4 games it had zero business winning.

I hope I'm wrong, but this team is mediocre at best.

Rex has no clue, and Tanny let's Rex make most of the decisions.

How do you trade up to take Sanchez, and then do nothing to develop him, give him a subpar line, and no weapons.

This organization is clueless yet again.

7. Milliner is your Mommy

LT was not a good running back that year. He started off very well but by mid season he was terrible. He was a good receiving threat that is it. Santonio was a better WR than Braylon he just had 4 less games and less familiarity with Mark.
    Santonio is just as much a number 1 as Braylon is. O line was better but not far better. Its 4 of the same people with a big drop off at right tackle. Slauson is better now than he was that year. If Hunter plays just average our O line will be fine.
    A younger defense at certain positions but we are much much younger and faster on the D line. Our linebackers are a little older thats it. Harris is still in his prime and now we have a rookie LB and Maybin who is very young who will get a lot of playing time.

Won 4 games it had 0 business winning? What come backs don't count now? You could do ifs about any game. If Leonhard wraps up that safety in the Broncos game the Jets win and are in the playoffs last year.

Done nothing to develop Sanchez come on. He had one of the best lines in the league for 2 years and last year had a bit of a drop off because of 1 position and injuries. We also traded up to take a promising receiver in the 2nd round this year. We also signed Santonio to a big contract because he looked like Mark's favorite target in 2010.

SOJF post of the day right here.

8. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Gross exaggerations?

The Jets offense was ranked 25th in the league last year.

Bottom 5 are ranked 27-32. You can't get much closer to bottom 5 than that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Same mediocre QB, a bunch of no-name JAG's in the backfield, one of the worst receiving groups in the NFL.

These were your gross exaggerations. You assume all of our young players can't improve. Sanchez was having a good year last year until the last 3 games where a few sources and using your eyes shows he was playing hurt. He had 21Tds and 11 picks which is pretty good. No name JAGs in the backfield is another exaggeration. We might not have LT back there but Shonn Greene was better than LT. As for our WRs I don't know why people assume they are so awful. We have Santonio Holmes who is a proven good but not great WR. Hill who will help stretch the field which was the big difference between our passing offense last year and the year before, Kerley who had a decent rookie season but someone who many people are expecting to be improved. As far as TE we have Keller who has been around and will have a good not great season and Cumberland someone who has looked good in preseason and practice but got hurt and missed the season last year.

So yes you are exaggerating assuming everything is going to go wrong.

On top of all that Tebow will also help our run game a lot.

I'm not saying we are going to be the Saints or Packers but we could be a lot like the 49ers were last year.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's still not bottom 5 as mentioned. Also note, we were one of the best RZ offenses in the league last year with Sanchez at the helm. If the Jets can increase their 3rd down %, they will be in much better shape. I expect a drop-off in the RZ production (as we were scoring TDs like crazy in the RZ), but an increase in 3rd down %.

11. Satire?

Satire? Guest

Yeah, the Colts are last? ok..after what I saw Andrew Luck do to St. Louis the other day, I can't take anything serious from these rankings.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

How can you possibly say that Braylon was a true #1 but Holmes was not? On a per game basis in 2010, Holmes outplayed Braylon. He had lower overall stats for the year because he missed the first 4 games. This year, we brought in Chaz Schillens who is a very similar type of player to Braylon and drafted Hill, a rookie version. This addresses what we lacked last year in a deep threat. Cotchery also had a terrible year in 2010. If Schillens stays healthy, we're better at receiver than 2010 with a lot of promising young guys as well.

And better RB by far? Really? We had the same RBs for 2010 as we had in 2011 and had much less success in 2011. LT at the end of his career was not better than Greene by far. Faster, and better at making catches, sure, but Greene had a better year rushing in 2011, than LT had in both 2010 AND 2011. LT had like 300 yards and averaged 3.8 a carry last year. He was more of a gimmick situational back. We have a similar young guy in McKnight and Powell has been turning heads as well. :lol: at better by far.

I'd say slightly better o line. Damien Woody was at the end of his career and wasn't playing all that well to be honest, plus it was Slauson's first year starting. Slauson got much better near the end of 2010, and also early 2011 before he got hurt. Now he's showing to be much more versatile. Obviously Hunter's a downgrade from the 2009 Woody, but the oline is essentially the same except Slauson's better now, we have more depth, and Moore is getting older. Vlad has been looking pretty good, however and I'm sure he'll contribute this year with the starters.

And that's a negative how? The defensive line is the one unit you want to be as young as possible since they are doing the heavy lifting. Our defensive line is much better and much deeper than 2010. Our safety unit is also much better than 2010, and our secondary is the same, but with an improved Kyle Wilson. Ellis was at the end of his career and was replaced with Wilk. Coples is just icing on the cake.

:lol: at zero business winning. Sanchez stepped up and delivered us late game wins, along with our defense making critical stops. Do you consider every game in the NFL that's close a game where the other team had no business winning? I guess the Patriots had no business winning half of their games last year.

And then a completely ignorant statement to top it all off. Yeah Rex has no clue. He clearly didn't turn our D into the best in the league his first year here or anything. He doesn't have the best Jets playoff record of any HC we've ever had or anything, nor the best total winning percentage. Statements like this baffle me. How long have you been watching the Jets?

Not every QB becomes top 10 within their first 3 years. Some take time to develop, and bringing in a solid young QB is good for the Franchise. Much better than bringing in an old washed up Favre. At least we're building the QB position through the draft, rather than just trading for a FA and hoping it works. Holmes is not a weapon, Schillens is not a weapon, Keller is not a weapon. Hill is a bust, right? C'mon man. Stop the hate.

The oline and the punting game are the 2 areas the team is worse in than 2010, but I believe we've improved overall moreso than that team, especially when we had Sanchez become a red zone beast last year. He'll be better in turnovers this year, I guarantee it.

#32 Barcs, Aug 15, 2012
  13. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Tebow Ranked as 19th Best Team in NFL

I was browsing NFL.com this morning, and came across this.

[​IMG]

Not sure if it's intentional jab, or a typo, but funny nonetheless.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha...too funny. this was mentioned in the other ranking thread but to actually see it is very humorous! Jets have arrived! Not the top defense image rex has been hoping for but we have an image just the same!

15. catsigater

catsigater New Member

I don't like it. Completely unprofessional by ESPN.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

ESPN stopped caring about professional credibility over a decade ago. It's Sport MTV now. People should get a clue and tune them out.

17. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

This was the NFL.com power rankings

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You don't like it because ESPN is unprofessional?

What?

People liked ESPN because they were unprofessional, no? -_-?

P.S. The link reads nfl.com/...

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

2nd thread on this? BTW they are NFL.com rankings

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

already posted in the NFL rankings thread.