Tebow poses for GQ... as Jesus and shirtless

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Pluvrr, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

LOL love it. The Jets dominate GQ! I've heard the article is written by a Jets fan and is quite good.

[​IMG]

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/style-points/201208/tim-tebow-gq-new-york-jets-nfl

New Issue Of GQ Sizzles: Shirtless Tim Tebow
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:30 pm
    Written by: Victor Chi

Even in the dog days of August, we can always count on Tim Tebow to provide a heaping helping of sizzle.

The latest issue of GQ, which hits newsstands on August 21, offers an interesting take from a writer who is a Jets fan but not a Tebow fan, and how he is trying to resolve this dilemma.

"This, really, is the root of my beef with Tebowmania: It has nothing to do with football," writes Devin Gordon. "It's a sales pitch -- a sensation built on evangelism, not ability, powered by people who see a chance to turn the NFL into the next front of the culture war. And now that culture war is coming to my team."

Compelling stuff. Not just the standard I-love-this-guy/I-hate-this-guy yelling that inevitably comes with any Tebow discussion. Gordon brings some context, texture and complexity to the conversation.

But Gordon's incisive analysis will likely have to settle for the silver medal in the Generating Buzz competition when GQ packages his story with a photo like this:

Shirtless Tebow.

In a Jesus-like pose.

Because there hadn't been nearly enough hype around the Jets, right?

But let's face it. Tebow would still be an attraction even if he had ended up in Jacksonville. The lights might be brighter on Broadway, but there are certain people from whom geography is irrelevant. As Reggie Jackson once put it: "I didn't come to New York to be a star. I brought my star with me."

Well, Jets fans will love it if Tebow can bring two championships to New York the way Reggie did, but for the moment, they'll have to deal with daily doses of Tebowmania that will only crank up once the season starts.

Even Gordon acknowledges that Tebow has that je ne sais quoi, which is noticeable just from being in his presence.

"The charisma is real, folks," he writes. "It almost startles you, especially if you're the kind of person who is skeptical about airy notions like charisma. It's there.

"Tebow smiles the entire time he is surrounded by reporters, no matter what he's asked, no matter how naked the trap being laid for him, every one of which he dodges, effortlessly, with a soft chuckle. He is clearly enjoying himself. He likes the attention, and not in a craven, needy way. More like: I'm a people person!"

And that has been the case whether he was at Florida (where this was shot a few years ago), Denver or New York.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

LOL @ that faggy pose.

That last bit is well put, he dodges controversial questions effortlessly our players could learn a thing or two.

#2 Jake, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  3. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

Looks like Tebow and Sanchez will be coming out of closet soon

4. Banjo

Banjo Banned

Wow. Even in magazine shoots, he's better than Sanchez!

5. Bannon

Bannon New Member

That article bugs me. I'm sick of the narrative that says Tebow is only popular because of his evangelical Christianity. He's not even close to being the first, or even first outspoken Christian, or even the most outspoken.

There are three key components to his popularity -- (1) the football, as in, he's a great player who accumulates touchdowns like lint; (2) the charisma, inexplicable; and (3) the integrity that seems to accompany his Christianity. He has an authenticity that fascinates people, whether they would have been predisposed to otherwise like it or not.

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

At least Sanchez features hot women in his photoshoots to help outweigh the gayness being personified.

There's just no....defense for this for Tebow.

7. ItsTime

ItsTime Banned

Tebow turned down GQ for the request for the interview and photo shoot. This photo was shot years ago in Gainesville, when he was still working on his Jesus pose.

8. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Incredible even Tebow can't stop Tebowmania, he turns down GQ photo shoot as well as the interview and they still produce a cover story out of thin air .

9. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Look at all the Tebow nuts get a hard on. Lol

10. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Look at all the haters continue to mention male genetelia when Tebow has his shirt off.

11. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

U guys need to look at the word "hater". The guy we suppose to hate against has to be a great player. We all know than TT is not great. Now he could become a great punt protector.

12. swifty_0

swifty_0 New Member

Manish tweeted the photos and article are from his time with the Gators.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Every famous serious christian I've ever heard of has photo shoots in crucifiction poses. What a phony toolbag.

14. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

Wait....he declined an interview and photoshoot, so they just used archive pictures from years ago anyway? Seems like they shouldn't be able to do that without his "people" approving it. That crucifix pose isn't helping him....

15. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 Banned

I hate the pic, honestly...But since it was taken several years ago while he was in college, I'll give him a pass since he was still a young kid and probably didn't know any better.

I don't think that is a pose he would do nowadays...

16. catfish

catfish New Member

GQ took the original pictures, they own the rights. They can publish them however they please as long as they are not using them to market an item. Tebow and his "people" have no say in the matter

17. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I got Stigmata.

18. Apple Jack

Apple Jack Banned

I also hate the photo shoot. For the GQ writer to talk about the insanity of Tebowmania, but then take images taken from Tebow's UF days, photoshop the UF logos out and convert to B&W in order to hide the UF color scheme epitomizes media manipulation.

But, I don't understand the crucifix pose at all. Unless this was heavily photoshopped, I find his decision to pose in this way inexplicable. He was most likely in his twenties when he took this. Not a child. The stunning silence from the evangelical community astounds me. Why isn't there a demand for an explanation? If anyone else had done this, there would have been outrage.

19. FakeSpike13

FakeSpike13 Banned

It was a bad decision...

As a fellow Baptist, I find the photo pretty distasteful and wonder why someone as fundamental as Tebow would take a photo like that.

Then again, I was doing much worse things in my early 20's, so its not my place to judge him for it.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

He did this in college? So he (technically) didn't even get paid for it?