Keller Believes He's a Probowler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 12, 2012.

1. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Keller might think he's a pro-Bowler but I doubt anyone without Jet blinders would agree. Incredibly overrated by too many Jets fans because they only notice him while he has the ball in his hands after a reception. Average at best.

Keller has shown that he can be a receiving threat but disappears for stretches. He's also shown concentration lapses & the dropsies. He's also a shit blocker which makes him useless on the field for a lot of plays. Not a below-average blocker, he's a useless-contributes-nothing blocker.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I never realized Keller was so small (for a TE)...hell, even Tebow is bigger than Keller.

How are Gronk and Hernandez in the blocking scheme? I assume Gronk is OK because of his size but Hernandez seems about the same size a Keller.

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

He's a top 10 te IMO. He just needs to play like it this year. Staying consistent is key. Keller usually goes missing after week 6 or so each year.

4. Ten

Ten Active Member

You know he was 3rd in the AFC in yards for TE last year.It's not that crazy an idea that he could be a pro bowler,especially if he had a better QB.

But I'll also agree that he drops a lot of passes and isn't a great blocker,he's a better blocker than some elite TE's but I doubt he'll ever be above average at it.

5. Ten

Ten Active Member

Gronk's a great blocker but Hernandez is a worse blocker than Keller imo,but the pats don't ask him to block(I think he's actually lined up at WR more than TE anyway).

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Keller vs Hernandez is a good argument for 2nd best TE in the division. On first thought, you think Hernandez is better, but he's also in a much, much better situation to succeed, where he's able to accentuate his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. We need Keller too much where we aren't able to do that. And we haven't brought in that 2nd tight end to complement Keller, which I don't really understand.

7. mrmahon

mrmahon New Member

When he plays like it, we (the fans) will be behing him 100%

8. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Hernandez is such a dangerous weapon largely because of how good he is with the ball in his hands, which I don't think Keller can match. According to http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/broken-tackles-2011, he led all WRs and TEs in broken tackles by a wide margin. I can't see Keller being plugged in at RB and gashing defenses the way that Hernandez did at times last year. I also think that Hernandez is more explosive in his routes than Keller, and has slightly better hands.

Keller is probably as good, if not slightly better, at blocking. Hernandez has also been a little bit injury prone so far in his career. Other than those two things, I don't really see anything that tips the scale in Keller's favor. I agree that NE puts Hernandez in a position where his blocking isn't really important, and our offense generally gives Hernandez better one-on-one matchups, but I am almost certain that most people across the league would choose Hernandez over Keller.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Gronk is an above average blocker, and Hernandez did OK when called upon. But Hernandez lines up in the slot, backfield, and off the line alot. More like what Sharpe did with Denver than traditional TE.

Keller could be a pro bowler, if the top 3 or 4 guys bow out like they tend to every year....

I do see upside with Keller, but not alot of opportunities to catch the ball and he's dropped too many of those.

10. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Take Brady away from Hernandez and he's nothing more than Avg. Hell, Take Brady away from Gronk and he isnt half the TE he has been.
    Come to think of it, I cant wait for Brady to GTFOH and retire already lol

11. gopats88

gopats88 Member

In your opinion, who is the best TE in the league? If Gronkowski is twice the TE that he really is because of Brady, then I assume the same is also true of Graham with Brees. Gates has had most of his success with elite QB play, and at this point he hasn't played enough the past few seasons to call him the best at anything. Same thing to a lesser extent with Jason Witten. Vernon Davis is very good, but is he really the best? Jermichael Finley has shown flashes, but at this point he is a bit of a disappointment, even with Rodgers throwing to him.

I'm interested to hear what you think.

And also, Ben Watson has been more productive since leaving Brady and NE. Daniel Graham didn't have any noticeable drop-off in production. David Thomas has been much better without us. I just mention those examples as food for thought, but personally I have to believe that there is a reason Gronk and Hernandez have stuck while a bunch of other average/decent TEs have been cast off.

12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think Jimmy Graham is slightly better than Gronk but the margin is extremely slim. Can't really argue because each has an incredible QB throwing to them.

Keller has the talent to be a pro bowl tight end, but he would have to put up huge numbers receiving because he can't block. I always like to hear when players are working hard though. Makes me more confident in them.

13. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I've stopped responding to rookies on the board since all the Tebow stuff but this is funny with the right amount of cynicism- you'll do well on this board

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

None of these guys could hold Mickey Shuler's jockstrap.

get off my lawn.

15. The Swamp

The Swamp New Member

Hernandez is younger and more athletic, that's why.

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

haha well said dierking!

thinking about it and reading the thread, hernandez is exactly what alot of people were hoping keller would be when we drafted him.

if i remember correctly we moved up to grab him 30th. i thought it was a reach at that point and can remember alot of people talking about all of the crazy matchup problems he will create by splitting him out, having him in the backfield and using him in the slot.

he has been a decent player, he has been at times the go to guy and most dominant weapon we have. i have said a few times the past 2 years that this team goes on offense wherever keller takes them. the problem is he really disappears for games at a time and becomes a complete non factor.

he has also not ever been able to be that hernandez guy. he doesnt create mismatches like alot of people had hoped and while he is better than he was he is still a problem as a blocker.

like i said earlier, someone needs to tell dustin that when he catches everything thrown to him and he becomes a decent blocker THEN we can start talking pro bowl.

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

A pro bowler? Has he ever scored 300?

18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Damn, I miss him. Shuler was badass. IMO, the Jets haven't had a TE in his league since.

19. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

He had the 6th most receiving yards by a TE last year and 9th most in receptions. At worst he is a top 10 TE aka well above average.

I agree he isn't the greatest blocker, but still, a quality TE none the less.

20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

That's how I feel about him. He's not great, but certainly a good, solid, quality TE.

Unfortunately, if this G&P philosophy goes full steam, his lack of blocking ability may be a serious liability.