Curiously amazed at the silence in here tonight........

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Demosthenes9, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Agree with everything you said except for that INT. Wasn't that good a play, but rather a horribly placed throw. If that's where Tebow meant for it to be, then he really needs to rethink that placement. :)

2. SI_Jets_Fan

SI_Jets_Fan Member

A couple of things:

I was really encouraged by his play up until the INT. He looked pretty good.

The INT was horrendous.

The thing that concerned me the most, however, was how he threw his receiver under the bus. I thought that he was supposed to be this great teammate. In all the years of watching football, I have never heard a QB say an INT was the receivers fault. In many cases it may be (this was not one of them) but man up and take the blame. Instead in an interview during the game, he says that he threw it because he thought that his receiver "would win". NOT cool.

#22 SI_Jets_Fan, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  3. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Good points. I don't want Tebow to start, yet, either. He needs at least another year before he starts, if ever.

It's almost inconceivable that Sanchez could show the Ortonesque type suckage it would take for Tebow to start. I guess if the Jets were 1-4 and Sanchez just looked completely inept, I'd say give Tebow a shot, but that's what it would take.

4. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

I agree with everything you said, I am not sure why we have argued in the past......

5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

What did you expect? He hasn't shown any change yet. He can make plays with his feet, already known and still capable. He locks in on one receiver, still does. He thread a deep ball 5 yards out of bounds, consistency with his accuracy problems still there. And he still thinks run first at times leading to him not making a simple pass (3rd and 2). And his passes were high and low the majority of the times they were on target.

Everything he did was the same, nothing looked improved but it was one of the smallest sample sizes you could get. Were you expecting people to gush over his performance?

Just to clarify, I'm saying Tebow is better or worse off that performance, I'm saying its the same thing we saw last year, no difference so far

#25 displacedfan, Aug 11, 2012
  6. Bannon

Bannon New Member

That was not the performance that I hope to one day see -- the one where he looks totally different, it is doing things quicker than I can follow.

That was incrementally decent, I little tighter here and there, but still the same old Tebow (who I love to watch).

7. Bannon

Bannon New Member

I think you're misunderstanding -- he said more than once it was a "stupid throw." He was just trying to describe the thought process, which was that he thought it could place it low and outside and give his receiver a chance to make a play. He fully concedes the ball never made it to the receiver because of a diving INT by Burfict. He didn't throw his receiver under the bus on that throw -- I could tell that throw made him sick.

8. chadedward

chadedward New Member

that's what i took from it, too.

9. Potzer

Potzer New Member

Don't take this statement as an attack.

The Jets offense looked awful.

It looked *possibly* 1 iota less awful with Tebow, yet that wouldn't be maintainable either. (as we saw on the INT) There was no difference in any of the qb's. They tried to find open guys, there weren't any, so they scrambled around or got sacked.

#29 Potzer, Aug 11, 2012
  10. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Four completions, two throwaways, one drop by Hill and a bad INT. One bad throw in eight. I'll take it for August 10.

11. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I fell asleep (I'm in Europe) after the possession that ended with the dropped pass for the potential 1st down. Up until that point, I was impressed with Tebow's improvement. I thought his short pass completion on that drive was a nice tight spiral and accurate. The throwaway was bad when he hit the cheerleader because it appeared there was an open receiver on the sideline. The dropped pass was big, because it was right in the guy's hands and they had momentum. Looked like a TD was imminent on that drive.

Overall, I like what I saw from Tebow in the offense. Didn't see the INT though, so maybe I need to look at that. The big take away is that if Sanchez got hurt (hope he doesn't) Tebow would be a capable starter and could still lead the Jets to the playoffs. Being honest, I don't think a Superbowl title is remotely possible with this Jets team no matter if Sanchez or Tebow is starting. I think there are at least 6-8 teams that are much better than the Jets.

12. Demosthenes9

Yeah, some people are out of there minds and I'm wondering if they watched the same game. His 4 completions were nice passes. Not absolutely perfect, ala Aaron Rodgers, but he hit his receivers with nice passes.

His throw away that hit the cheerleader was just that, a THROW AWAY. As in, throw the ball out of bounds purposely. I can somewhat understand him being extra careful there as it was similar to that one play on the sideline against Chicago where he ended up throwing an interception.

Main point though is that if you look at his passes, they were on target. I didn't see the wounded ducks from last year. I didn't see the bounce passes in the dirt. I didn't see him missing an open receiver by 5 yards.

Does he still have things to work on ? Most definitely. But, last night was a hell of an improvement over what he did on the field last year.

13. mrmahon

mrmahon New Member

he did throw an INT. I am sure it won't be his last . . . . .

14. Demosthenes9

So did Peyton manning and Aaron Rodgers. It happens. Your point ?

15. catfish

catfish New Member

so did matt ryan and Matt stafford and phillip rivers

rodgers was actuall 2 for 8 for 16 ydswith a pick

25 QB's threw picks so far in the preseason. Teams are rusty. You can't make any decisions based on game 1 preseason I saw some good things from all the QB's saw some bad things from all the QB's

16. boarder40

boarder40 New Member

square peg in round hole

I became a fan of Tebow watching him last year, so yes I am biased.

I don't understand why some people want Tebow to become a typical pocket passer NFL QB. At the very best, he would become a slightly below average pocket passer.

I would like to see him with an offense built around his skill set. Some kind of new, hybrid/spread offense. Most plays would be out of the shotgun. Lots of roll outs and bootlegs. If he tucks it and runs, it would not be considered a bad thing. I think the Jets somewhat understand this and realize the Wildcat plays to his strengths.

Having said this, Tebow still needs to improve substantially in many areas and I think he will. I just agree with what Parcells said. Emphasize what he does well.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

yup,my brother(giants fan) asked how tebow looked.
    my reply:" he made some nice throws a few good runs and a horrible interception.
    you know he was tebow"

i think a few plays a game though he will definitely make some big plays to spark a drive or keep one alive.
    and if anyone calls me a hater see my sig

18. mrmahon

mrmahon New Member

everybody was in a daze

19. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

I definitely love watching Tebow play...it's by far the most exciting type of rugged smash you in the mouth football.

20. The Swamp

The Swamp New Member

I know for a fact that is a down right lie and you need to be ashamed to even post it. His greatest weakness was short to intermediate passes. That's what he worked on during that preseason game. Honestly I didn't expect him to complete any of those passes because he always threw those in the dirt or just completely off target. He has changed in that he is specifically working on his weaknesses in real game time since that's how he learns. So again. Liar, liar pants.....etc.