Rich Cimini Report for 7/30 practice

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Apple Jack, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Apple Jack

Apple Jack Banned

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- For the second straight day, the Jets practiced in full pads. Observations on the 2 1/2-hour session:

TEBOW TIME: QB Tim Tebow enjoyed his best day, completing four of five passes (plus a sack) in team drills. Once again, he worked exclusively with the second team -- and there were no Wildcat plays. The Jets have yet to run anything out of the Wildcat package in camp.

Tebow's lone incompletion was a deep post to WR Chaz Schilens, but he got an earful from coordinator Tony Sparano for not throwing to the check-down receiver. In a third-and-medium play, Sparano wanted him to take the higher-percentage option.

Tebow received a huge ovation from the crowd when he escaped pressure and scrambled for about 25 yards.

Overall, it was a much better day for Tebow and QB Mark Sanchez, both of whom were 1-for-7 on Sunday. Sanchez went 6-for-10, plus a sack -- and he was victimized by two drops (Schilens and TE Dustin Keller). Sanchez was upbeat after practice, saying he's pleased with the overall progress of the offense under Sparano. He had a couple of near hiccups, almost getting intercepted on back-to-back passes. LB Calvin Pace dropped one ball and S Eric Smith let a pass sail through his hands.

Not every quarterback shined. It was a rough day for third-stringer Greg McElroy.

Full text here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/13680/practice-report-tebow-enjoys-best-day

2. ozrodmd

ozrodmd New Member

Good to here the news from camp so far this year. I'm getting good vibes. This year could be special.

3. maxpower

maxpower New Member

tebow not look at the checkdown...sounds like he hasnt progressed still

4. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

That's my biggest gripe with him. He never looks for those. He either goes for the big play or scrambles/runs. He'll never be taken seriously as a QB until he starts hitting those high percentage throws (which obviously will bring his stats up).

5. Tebow>Sanchize

In Denver there was nobody to check down to! Tebow is much better than you think, stop listening to the jealous talking heads at Espn and start believing what you see with your own two eyes. At least Tebow won't fold like Sanchez under pressure and deliver season ending pick 6's!

6. catsigater

catsigater New Member

The bolded statement is false. One of Tebow's biggest challenges is to resist the urge to use his feet as his check-down receiver. I hope Sparano rides him without mercy until he learns how to do that.

7. Tebow>Sanchize

Did you watch all of Denver's games? Because I did. There was generally nobody open and Denver's O-line was Swiss Cheese! Their gameplan also blew for 3 quarters every game, run, run, throw on third and long! How did the check-down work for Kyle Orton when Denver was 1-4 before they traded away their best WR in Brandon Lloyd and Tebow brought them to a playoff win?

8. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Dude, chill the hell out.

Yes, there were many times when no one was open as McCoy would only send 1 or 2 guys out on routes and they couldn't shake their defenders.

That said, there were other times when guys were open and Tebow just didn't throw to them.

9. Apple Jack

Apple Jack Banned

Umm no. I watched all of Denver's games and there were open receivers. Tebow needs to work on check downs. Catstigator is a big time Tebow fan on here. Defends him all the time. He's just being honest.

Also, as someone already posted, unless Tebow learns this aspect of the pro game, he'll have a hard time earning another job as a starter.

10. maxpower

maxpower New Member

I watched most of denvers games as well and Tebow DID NOT check down ever, and its not because noone was open, its because he ran, ran ran. Denver's oline held decent for what the sideshow was...You cant expect an oline to hold not only for 10+ seconds but also when they dont even know where the QB will be. the oline did thier job based of where the QB was SUPPOSED to be, its just that the QB (Tebow) never did what he was supposed to. He put himself into the bad positions noone else did.

11. catsigater

catsigater New Member

I live in Cheyenne, and yes, I watched every game. Did you watch Jaworski's break down of Tebow? If you believe he's good at checking down, you need to watch it.

#11 catsigater, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  12. Tebow>Sanchize

First of all, Tebow had no OTA's and no time with the first team. Again, tell me why the prototypical passer Kyle O was 1-4?

13. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Has nothing to do with Orton. Tebow was failing to hit his checkdowns well into the season. Again, watch Jaws break it down...

[YOUTUBE]YAtCP_JBfCg[/YOUTUBE]

14. Tebow>Sanchize

Explain to me the checkdowns that you are talking about? First of all DT wasn't playing much until the end of the year, so who was stretching the defense, Ryan Decker(6th round pick from Minnesota with hands of stone)? Eddie Royal was used as a situational player at best, Fox's decision not mine; so who was he checking down to Wills? MaGahee? Plus, until the end of the games McCoy's plays were run, run, run or throw on third and long. The line blocked like krappp, so Tim spent most of his time running for his life, but surprisingly was able to find a guy from time to time. Watch the Minnesota game where Tim stiff arms a linebacker and then checks down, any other quarterback would be on his azzzz. Mark Sanchez would have been more concerned with assuming the fetal position then he would be going through the check downs if he had to play with that horrendous offense.

15. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Dude, don't be so defensive. You are right about Tebow having no OTAs and no time with the first team. I'd add that he's a young QB and that it takes time to develop.

That said, he didn't make use of his checkdowns, and he also had trouble identifying open receivers. Those are issues that he needs to address and fix.

16. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Watch the video (edit: starting at about the 1:25 mark) and get back to me. Otherwise, we're wasting each others' time.
    That's the whole point. On that play, Tebow missed the checkdown to the receiver with single coverage.That's why he had to scramble around until someone got open. Tebow is using his athleticism to compensate for his inability to read pass coverages. A checkdown is not the same thing as a scramble drill, which is what happened in the Minnesota play. Sometimes it works, as Jaws pointed out in the Minnesota game. Other times, it fails, as was pointed out in the Chicago game.

#16 catsigater, Jul 31, 2012
  17. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Did you seriously just call ESPN pundits jealous talking heads in relation to Tebow? They're by far his most ardent supporters and are praying (literally and metaphorically) that he wins the starting job ASAP. This is the same network that took Sanchez's only ambiguous quote in relation to Tebow (out of almost a dozen quotes) and tried to falsely portray in-fighting.

^^Even here he begins by saying "Tebow isn't currently the starter, but I'm working under the assumption that he is in order to cover and analyze him" (paraphrasing). He didn't even actually analyze Tebow until about 1:25 (unless you call blanket statements like "we need to look at his whole body of work to understand him as a player". That statement would also apply to cam newton, rg3, andrew luck, and any other QB that can run... Far cry from "undergoing Jaws' finely-tuned critical eye".)

"At this point (AND EVERY POINT IN HIS CAREER), Tebow is more a runner than a passer"
    **Insert minor criticisms**
    "But wait and see. You may see him starting in 2012."

#17 VanderbiltJets, Jul 31, 2012
  18. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Actually, the piece was introduced by saying Jaws will be analyzing "the league's veteran starting QBs... and Tim Tebow." That statement, and the fact that Sanchez was analyzed further up than Tebow (#23), renders your paraphrase as a bit disingenuous.

19. VanderbiltJets

Ok i'll fix it

20. VanderbiltJets

In order to not waste others' time, I recommend saying where to start in the video because the first minute+ has nothing to do with checkdowns.