Is it just me or do u think we're gonna throw the ball more then they're letting on?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Jul 29, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The bold is a little off.Our offense relied on short the passing game last not year, not Sanchez specifically. We have seen him go deep, stupidly at times, his first two years. Kerley performed well in the slot last year and the majority of his catches resulted in first downs. He had a nose for the marker and running routes just far enough to get the first down. Is the Tone the veteran that has done nothing of note? You know the Super Bowl MVP winner, something of note. Does it have any impact on his play now, no. But saying he (if you are mentioning Tone as the veteran) has done nothing of note is laughably incorrect.

First day of padded practiced, not worried. If this is a continuing trend into the preseason games then be worried

2. This offense doesn't have to be top 10. All it has to be is consistent & top 20. Calling the Jets O-line mediocre is downright laughable. Mangold,Moore & Brick were all pro bowlers. Yes the pro bowl is overrated but downplaying the achievement for an offensive linemen is ridiculous. Do the Jets have a big question mark at RT? Yeah they do. But one position doesn't make or break an O-line's performance. Those 3 pro bowlers made the playoffs in 2006 with Anthony Clement at RT. Gotta be honest..I think Hunter is a better player than he was. They're healthy, and will be back to doing what they do best...Running the ball/play action pass pro. This OL group wasn't built to protect a QB 45+ times a game.

This O-line can anchor a stubborn "4 yards & a cloud of dust" type running game. But ya know what? By the 4th qtr those 4 yard runs turn into 10 yard or more runs from the D breaking down. All this passing game has to be is efficient. Keller,Holmes & even Schillens have all shown the ability to make big plays when called upon. Maybe they don't catch 10 balls each, but if they all catch 2 or 3 w/ a TD and 20 YAC tagged on...That's all good with the ground & pound. And with this defense...that's all we need to win the majority of our football games.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

The Jets gave up the 13th most sacks, and had the 29th ranked YPC in the ground game.

Moore is old and has been dealing with injuries (one of the lowest ranked rush blockers in the league, albeit good in pass protection), Slauson isnt an elite guard by any means, Hunter was a train wreck (one of the worst tackles in the league), and Dbrick had a very poor season and an absolutely horrific one by his standards.

So youre right calling our offensive line mediocre is down right laughable, because the way they played last year they were a joke

4. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I think he was referring to Chaz Schillens

5. Are you really gonna judge an O-line solely on the numbers...and only from 1 season? That's just foolish.Watch the individual plays...look at each player's entire career & resume. Jets O-line had a down year for sure. But there were reasons for it. Health was clearly an issue. Wayne Hunter was about the only 100% healthy O-linemen last year. As I stated earlier, they weren't built to perform under the schematic circumstances schotty put them under last season. This is a ground & pound/play action group. 45+ 5 to 7 yard dropbacks a game wasn't going to work.

Now they come back, with a fresh outlook & health. They can get back to what they do best. Brick/Mangold/Moore..will all bounce back..and if they all have plus seasons..this line & offense will be just fine.

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

And you are demonstrating a wealth of knowledge by suggesting a trade that will cost the Jets multiple draft picks and millions of dollars, neither of which the Jets can remotely afford to lose. All for a player that is approaching the tail end of a career who plays a position that virtually no NFL team invests high draft picks or money in any more.

7. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Dude we pretty much had the worst YPC in the nfl.

Its not like we were ranked 19th, and you could say well they were kinda average but it was due to injuries. It was absolute dog shit.

And for a team that takes pride in the run, cmon.

I can be objective and realistic. I think Dbrick is certainly capable of being a top 5 LT next year, as a matter of fact id be surprised if hes not. I got my mancrush on Mangold and expect him to be the best center in the league as well.

However the rest of our Oline isnt as impressive.
    For our guards id expect Slauson (or Ducasse) to fall into the avg-slightly below avg range. Moore I expect to be slightly below avg (hes a poor run blocker, but will still be a pretty good pass blocker. I expect him to take a step back from last year tho)

Then you got Hunter on the outside. And even though I expect him to improve (possibly even drastically), id be SHOCKED if hes not still in the bottom 1/3rd of tackles in the league.

I dont expect us to have a terrible Oline at all, but I know we wont be an elite one either.

Realistically we should be somewhere in the 12-22nd range (if you ranked our OL), which is definitely mediocre. But Mediocre is a huge improvement over last year

8. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Show me proof where I said give up all that for him. Dont put words in my mouth.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I know you made a thread about this a while ago, so im gonna keep this one going off topic too much. But the Jags would never give up a guy like him (who they have under contract for 2 years) for nothing. Not to mention MJD is mad that he doesnt have a monster contract, so to suggest that we should trade for him also suggests that we give him a monster contract. And considering our cap situation plus the fact that we have 4 hbs on the roster atm, makes it rather silly.

10. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Show me the thread and where I said give up the farm for him or STFU.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

This isnt baseball, we dont have a farm.

Nor did I suggest that we would have to give up 3 1st rounders for him. While the draft pick wouldn't be the biggest issue (realistically they would want a 2nd + mid rounder, worst case 3rd + 5th), but the cap issue has to be implied.

Unless you for some reason thought he would sign with us and take a pay cut (even though hes holding out for a pay raise?)

12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

No, I believe it is you who needs to STFU and stop derailing this thread. That's your warning.

Let's get back on topic everyone.

13. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I think Tebow is the single biggest factor to how much we run the ball.

Our HBs are somewhat underwhelming (for a ground and pound team)

So I think there's no way we are a rush heavy team, unless Tebow gets major action.

I think being generous Greene might see 300~ touches on the year if none of our other backs break out

So Tebow would have to get at least 125 + carries for us to fall into the upper echelon of ground attacks.

I truly think Tebow gets the 2nd most carries of any back on this team after Greene

14. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

McKnight needs to produce here and now. I think he surprises alot of people this season. Ground and pound is gonna take alot more than just SG.

15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Just curious, what makes you think that Tebow will be #2 in rushing carries? Is there anything about him that leads you to believe that he has any sort of unique or special ability as a pure HB? I've always gotten the sense that all of the hype was about having a QB with rushing ability (a la Cam Newton, Michael Vick, Vince Young), but can also run up the middle and give/take hits without being a huge injury risk.

There are dozens of RBs in the league that have the size and speed to do those same things, they just can't ever be effective throwing the ball. It seems to me like Tebow's "home" in the NFL is a role where he is running gimmick plays, where the defense has to account for both his rushing and throwing abilities. I don't see that kind of role producing 125 carries for the Jets.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I corrected myself in the same post.
    You however, are dead wrong, and did not correct yourself. 40% is close to the avg, not dead last. If you are going to be snarky, at least be accurate son.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree running 50% in today's NFL is a 'ground and pound' approach. No one runs a strictly 3yds and cloud of smoke offense anymore.
    I do think the Jets will make a concerted effort to hit 50% rushes or more this year though.
    In doing so, they will be putting games into the hands of their defense, turnover battle, and kicking games. I'm fine with that, but it takes consistent execution to win those close type games.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I dont think Tebow is gonna be a pure HB, nor often taking many (if any) carries as a hb.

But im including carries in qb runs/wildcat plays.

Bilal hasnt shown anything so I have VERY low expectations for him, Ganaway is a late round rookie with a similar style to Greene so I expect them to ease him in (unless Greene gets hurt) 60-100 touches~, I expect alot of McKnights action to come on 3rd downs so he should have a decent split of short passes/runs. (60-80 runs/100 receptions ~)

And that just leaves Tebow. Id be surprised if he ran it less than 5 times a game. I think a huge part of the run game is gonna go through him, unless we get shocked by someone else REALLY stepping up and completely exceeding expectations

#58 dcm1602, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  19. patdaman819

patdaman819 Member

I really think that to, i think with the drafting of hill and with him,holmes and keller we have 3 great pair of hand so i dont see rex and tony not try to take advantage of that.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Bro, you're stuck in the 1982's.

Anyone can throw the ball today.

3 step drops. 5 yards in the air. Like Buck Frady.