What would you think about Cromartie playing WR?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NewEnglandJet, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Deion Sanders did it. Why not Cro? He has similar speed and agility. We did use him on O a couple times last year, but I could see him coming in for a play here and there. He can outrun almost any other CB in the league, so it could help with the deep ball on certain plays. Obviously we wouldn't use him compulsively, but I'd love to see him give it a shot.

2. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they would come up with this idea this year instead of last year. Last year the WRs were severely lacking in speed and size. This year we picked up two tall, very fast WRs and now they're talking about creating mismatches with Cro? Not that I'm against seeing him take snaps on offense, I just don't get the timing of it.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You think Cro could figure out Schotty's offense? He can't even figure out how to wear a rubber.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure how gadget plays for Tebow fit with ground and pound.

5. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

If it's another thing that defense have to prepare for why not, especially in the red zone.

6. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Fair point, but would he really have had to understand the whole scheme in order to be in on a couple of gadget plays?

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Don't forget they did bring Cro in for a few plays on offense early last year. I think they stopped, when he had those 2 punt return muffs.

8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

He is a mismatch and we know he is explosive if he can his hands on the ball. I wouldn't mind bringing him in on a play once or twice a game to make players think.

Schotty did this last year in an extremly predictable way. We ran a run up the middle and faked a reverse to Cro then next time Cro was out there we ran the reverse.

I think Cro at WR would only come in sometimes at <2 yards away from the EZ and any hail mary plays, don't see a reason for any other times.

9. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

Information from his wiki page.

High School Career
    Cromartie, born in Tallahassee, Florida, was a versatile player at Tallahassee's Lincoln High School. Throughout his senior season, Cromartie recorded 12 tackles and 2 interceptions, returned 3 punts and 2 kicks for TDs, had 450 yards and 1 touchdown on 30 catches and ran the ball 13 times for 242 yards and 3 touchdowns. This was enough to earn Cromartie 2002 USA Today defensive player of the year. Considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Cromartie ranked sixth among cornerback prospects in the nation.

Cromartie was also a standout in track and placed 3rd in the 110m hurdles and as a member of the 4x100 m relay team at the Class 5A County track meet.
    College career

College Career
    Cromartie decided to stay close to home for college and committed to playing college football at Florida State. After flashing playmaking potential as a nickelback and kick returner his first two years, Cromartie tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in July, 2005 during voluntary workouts before his junior year and was forced to miss the entire season. He was potentially going to play at wide receiver during his junior year.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I was mostly joking.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

If he can get the separation he gives as a defender, I'm all for it. I don't know why this guy is even still on the team. He's a liability.

12. patdaman819

patdaman819 Member

Yeah he is big and tall he could help us in the red and in the end zone, so why not try it in the preseason to see if he can adjust.

13. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Cro makes too many stupid decisions when he has the ball in his hands. That's why we pulled him from KO/PR duties.

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im pretty sure he was pulled from KO/PR because guys like Joe Mcknight stepped up, and its stupid to have your 10m/yr corner returning kicks when your guy making pennies under a rookie deal can lead the league in KR yards

15. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

While reading this title I puked in my mouth a little bit

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't hate this idea but I'd rather not go that route.

17. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Rather he played WR than CB. But that is just my opinion.

18. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

After what happened last year when he was returning kicks, particularly in the Oakland game, I'd prefer that Cromartie only touch the ball when he's breaking up a pass, or getting a pick.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If Cro had been a receiver he'd probably have been a Randy Moss type. Lanky and fast with excellent hands. Cro owns the longest TD in NFL history (106 yrds, missed FG return) and is very fast and very elusive in the open field.

Westy resorted to Cro when we absolutely positively needed a big return.

Cro would probably do better gaining yards on offense then trying to prevent them on defense. If the ball is ever thrown to Cro, he'd probably be in space, such as a WR screen where he can use is speed and elusiveness down the SL.

All in all, not a bad idea and would be fun to watch.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

20. joejamfootball

I agree with this statement. Cro had a great kickoff return for us in the playoffs against the Colts but thats about it. I only want the ball in his hands after an interception. Any other time its a fumble waiting to happen or he reverses field and loses 20 yards in the process. No No No Don't put the ball in Cro's hands!