Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

take cover boys and girls.its about to get real

2. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Wow it looks like hell is here

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

rolls through pretty quick though.

4. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

We had that here a couple/few weeks ago. Lost power for 5 days.

5. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

We had about 15 minutes of lightening and rain. It's stopped now and according to weather.com that will be the worst.

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

We need some rain bad here on the SC coast. Had plenty in early June,but that was the last. Usually we get afternoon storms in this heat,but they aren't happening either. I would love a mild tropical storm to form. I thought maybe ater the early start in the tropics we would see some action,but quiet on that front too.

7. typeOnegative13NY

And ever since i posted that we have had no rain,we have had some really killer storms every day. Plenty of heavy rain,but could do without the really bad lightning.

I should just remember,me washing my caris like a rain dance. It never fails to rain anytime i wash my car. I don't think it has ever stayed clean more han 3 or 4 hours

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Ok...a little long range forecasting done by accuweather and making much sense to me. Some of the great snowstorms of all time have come during a El Niño season. The great blizzards of 78 and the incredible winter of 96 (including in my opinion..the greatest snowstorm ever for our area) were El Niño winters. You can read the article below to get the difference between a El Niño and a La Niña. The key is not to be too strong one way or another...but that seems to be the pattern of this upcoming winter.

If thats the case...this could be a crazy winter. (and for the nyc metro area tonite..wow...now that was some incredible T Storms this evening right?!)

Now...the article.

Following a snow drought during winter 2011-2012, the mid-Atlantic and southern New England will get a snow dump this winter.

Above-normal snowfall is forecast for the major I-95 cities, including New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C., during winter 2012-2013.

Normal Seasonal Snowfall for the I-95 Cities

City

Normal Snowfall
    Amount
    New York City

25.1 inches
    Philadelphia

22.8 inches
    Baltimore

20.2 inches
    Washington, D.C.

14.6 inches
    Normal snowfall amounts from the National Weather Service.

"The I-95 cities could get hit pretty good. It's a matter of getting the cold to phase in with the huge systems that we are going to see coming out of the southern branch of the jet stream this year," AccuWeather.com Lead Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said.

The cold is expected to phase with the big storms during January and February with the potential for large snowstorms to make headlines and create travel headaches in the major cities.

On the other hand, the ski industry, which despite an early start for some resorts suffered a slow season overall last winter, will benefit from the above-normal snowfall.

Factors Behind the Above-Normal Snow Forecast

The presence of El Niño or La Niña - and their strength - is used to project how active the winter season is going to be. AccuWeather.com Long-Range meteorologists are projecting a weak to moderate El Niño by the fall.

How Can Meteorologists Predict a Whole Season?

An El Niño pattern is classified by above-normal water temperatures in the central and equatorial Pacific Ocean. Warming the ocean water in turn warms the air above the Pacific, causing weather patterns to change globally.

El Niño winters feature a strong southern branch of the jet stream across the U.S. When the strong southern jet stream phases with the northern branch of the jet stream (see graphic below), big storms can impact the East.

It should be noted that no two El Niños are the same. The strength of this phenomenon can mean a great deal for winter weather.

Furthermore, there are other factors that influence snowfall amounts for the winter. Enough cold air must meet with big East Coast storms for snow to fall in the I-95 corridor.

Blocking is a term that meteorologists in the Northeast use to describe areas of high pressure that dominate eastern Canada or Greenland at times during the winter, forcing cold air to reach to U.S.

"When blocking occurs, storms tend to slow their eastward progression off the East coast. You also get moist flow off the Atlantic to help enhance snowfall rates," AccuWeather.com Meteorologist Brian Edwards explained.

Here is the link...some great videos and maps to show who would get what.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/snow-for-i-95-corridor-northeast-winter/69820

#1748 jaywayne12, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yay!!!!!!!

Bring it On!!! I'll have the bigboy ready for anything headed our way..

10. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I guess its about time to get the whole "storm of the century" ball rolling in the Gulf again

[​IMG]

11. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

So much fucking rain!

12. Cman68

Isaac is inbound and not a peep out of Jay. I'm filing a missing weathernut report with the FBI today!

13. deathstar

Haven't seen this much flooding since Wilma...

This was supposed to a light storm too...

14. Cman68

N'orleans is gonna get it right between the eyes.. On the anniversary of Katrina no less. Who sez God doesn't have a sense of irony.

15. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

How the bastard didn't hit Tampa I'll never understand.

Best wishes to any folks on the northern gulf coast.

#1755 fenwyr, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  16. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

#1756 hiker, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  17. Cman68

^Wow.. Looks like a Bass Pro Shops that got flooded..

18. deathstar

That outer rain band a couple of hundred miles away from the center sure has a lot of fucking rain...

That's the band that raped us past few days...

19. typeOnegative13NY

That city is my favorite place to go,i hope that water retreats without doing much damage to those historic structures.

20. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I have a good friend in Baton Rouge, which is directly in the path of the storm. He's hoping to keep his electricity and hence his A/C (it's up in the 80s down there), and not counting on much else.