Training Camp Battles: Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Jul 24, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It looks like we will have a decent amount of training camp battles this season. Here's what I see as the battles to watch on the offensive side.

LG - This is Slausons position to lose but Ducasse has the talent to beat him out if he can pick it up mentally. I expect a healthy Slauson to win fairly easily but I also expect Ducasse to make some big strides and prove himself a worthy backup.

RT - As has been said Otah is the starter if he's healthy. Hunter has already proven he's a worthy backup, and a shitty starter. Hopefully Otah can stay on the field. Give him some roids or some shit.

WR2 - This could be one of the better battles this training camp. The way I see it this job will be between Kerly, Hill and Schillens. Obviously Kerly is our slot guy when we go 3 wide, but given that he's the only guy with previous experience with Sanchez I think he may have the upper hand to start the season. Hill should take this #2 spot by seasons end - the earlier the better.

RB2 - It seems like there isn't much competition for the 3rd down back position - it's gotta be McKnight, right? That doesn't mean there isn't competition for carries to keep Greene's legs fresh in non-passing situations. Ganaway, McKnight, Griffen and Powell will all be competiting for touches. I'm guessing it comes down to McKnight and Ganaway.

TE2 - I think this comes down to Baker and Cumberland. Baker is probably the better blocker, but Cumberland has serious potential as a pass catcher. Should be an interesting battle. I just don't think Smith is going to be able to fight for roster spot his first summer even playing american football.

What do you all think? Did I miss any? Any sleepers you see stealing a spot?

2. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Im still expecting to pick up another RB before the season starts

3. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would be beyond shocked if that happened.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Training Camp Battles: Defense

camp battle that will be unnoticed. Bart Scott vs Demario Davis?

5. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I like Davis as much as anyone, but let's temper our expectations. He's coming from a small school division and it would be shocking if he starts before week 8 (barring injury). Not to mention everything coming out of the Bart camp indicates he's going to have a breakout year.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bart needs to show that he can cover a certain amount of field as well. I like Bart Scott as much as anyone, but if we go with a 4-3 look more, Davis is going to get more reps. We can talk about small school division, experience, etc all we want, but if Davis shows that he can cover more field and have more of an impact than Bart Scott shedding and eating blockers (which he is tremendously good at). Davis is going to get his reps to increase day by day.

It's Scott's position to lose, but he better have his A game this TC.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I was going to create a diff thread for defense ... this one is for the offense ...

Probably won't be able t o do other thread until tomorrow night though so if someone else wants to do it ...

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

Glad you didnt add QB to this haha.

I can see the team adding another TE (or at least I hope they do) because the most accomplished blocker is Tarren Lloyd. Too bad the f-ing Pats signed another TE... Because they definitely needed him.

And I know this might be hopeful, but I could see McKnight showing enough to where he can cut into Greenes carries like 40 60. He knows its his last chance and I think he has a chance to be a special player- definitely one of the players Im most interested in for this season.

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

With ya on LG and RT.

I can see Chaz getting an early shot at WR2 for the following reasons:
    1. He brings the same attributes as Hill...tall, fast and can stretch the D
    2. Has the most NFL "experience"
    3. Was very good in OTAs and mini camp (granted every other WR was out with a hammy)

Any takers on whether we use Baker as a FB?

For TE I think we are grooming Cumberland to replace Keller next year. There's no way we can afford to pay a TE more than $1M per season.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I see no reason Ducasse can't get in @ rg either. Moores skillset has deteriated, and he's had some issues with injury. With Slausons surgery Ducasse has gotten plenty of training snaps.

I'm still hoping/exepcting us to sign another TE to compete for #2. That covers it all tho, unless the coaches really don't like the terminator

11. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

HAHA.

Skip Bayless... what a dumbass.

13. reverseapachemaster

Can't see another RB getting picked up for the roster with Tebow expected to line up for the jesuscat a lot.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think we need to see what we have in all these draft picks we've spent on RB the last few years. McKnight? Powell? Ganaway?

15. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile - Jets hater Peter King constantly rates him the most underrated RG in the league. Moore was a top rated OLman based on PFF's metrics. Hard to support your "skill deterioration" when an old Moore is coming in at a top 10 in the league.

############################

I want to see Smith & Cumberland in at TE

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Despite all those draft picks, if in fact there is a real battle for #2 RB, assuming the Jets do not pick up another player, then that is bad news for the Jets, because it would mean McKnight is not up to the task. Given the depth chart, and his experience, and where he was drafted, it is his to lose. He'd better not.

Personally I get the whole discussion about VD replacing Slauson, who I have never been a big fan of, and by next year the Jets will have to be looking at the likelihood of replacing Moore. So, they need an OG, perhaps two. Why can't VD be one of them?

Well, that doesn't mean he will be up to it. His inability to be comfortable on the field is, unfortunately, a given until proven otherwise.

And while I agree that before opening day there will be no Qb controversy, the real question, the most important issue facing the Jets this season, is whether Sanchez can justify retaining the starting Qb role with his play.

17. JET'S_my_name

JET'S_my_name Banned

FWIW - @JamesWalkerESPN: Random AFCE thought: #Jets were 2-5 last season when QB Mark Sanchez threw 35 times or more. #GroundAndPoundReturns

18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I think Hayden Smith might surprise some people either coming out of training camp or in pre-season. This guy is an athlete with a lot of untapped skill.

19. InRevisWeTrust

InRevisWeTrust New Member

Our WR depth this year is extremely interesting. We have a ton of talent and upside at the position, but overall the group is raw.

The locks to make the roster at WR are Holmes, Schilens, Kerley, and Hill. Ignoring the battle for the 5th receiver spot for a moment, that's potentially an outstanding group with highly complementary skill sets.

Holmes will clearly be the #1. Kerley will play the slot when we're 3-wide. But who will be the #2? You could make a strong argument for all 3 receivers and it will be fun to follow this during camp.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    It looks like we have a LG competition. Slauson and Ducasse alternating with first team.

Well it looks like we have ourselves a real battle at guard. Ducasse has the higher ceiling.