Weight loss tips for men

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by deerow84, Jul 16, 2012.

1. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

the best way to lose weight safely is eating every 2 or 3 hours. No big meals at all just 4-5 small meals a day. Do not eat until your "full" eat until your satisfied. Besides working out for 35-45 minutes at least 6 days a week.

2. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Hell yeah dude haha my height is awesome. Only bad thing is when I try to add bulk its hard putting a lot of good strong muscle on the tall frame but it certainly helped with me for basketball for years.

3. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Egg Whites rule. Exercise. Done.

4. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

No Carbs .. eat healthy and work out.

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Thats a great way for an obese person to end up in the hospital with ketoacidosis, and if theyre even a little insulin resistant (which most obese people are) possibly die

6. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

from what eating healthy and working out? working out can be going for walks for christ sake. I am not saying do boot camp workouts. If you don't eat carbs the body will break down fat faster.

7. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I've started to work out a lot more lately, and so far so good.

I think cardio is the first thing people need to focus on, because it builds up your endurance to more muscle toning works out and weight lifting. Right now, I've been burning 1000 calories just on a treadmill, because I need to trim the fat first. You don't have to do it all at once, or running ten miles per hour, just walk.

Drink plenty of water, preferably, cold water. The water helps you feel more full, and your body burns calories (approximately 8-9 calories) converting cold water into body temperature. So for every glass of ice cold water that you drink, you can get about 50 calories or so burned off that way, than room temperature water.

Start light on the muscle work outs. Eventually you are going to get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), but there are myths that you need to work through the pain to gain muscle. But the soreness is just your body rebuilding the muscles, and there is no real gain by working through the pain, other than the amount of work you put in to burn calories. You might be better off waiting a couple of days, for the soreness to recede, and then resume muscle oriented workouts.

After working out your muscles, try to incorporate food or drinks that have high protein content, as it helps your body build more powerful muscles, and do this before an hour passes after workouts. I've personally started drinking protein shakes (I think muscle milk, and premier protein are the two that I've tried, and premier protein actually tastes pretty good) which gets a good amount of protein in your body with limited calories.

Eat healthy. Obviously. Try to cut out oily foods as much as possible. I used to eat out all the time, but have now limited the amount of times I grab food from the outside. Even something small is usually bad, like a breakfast sandwich from Dunkin gets you a ton of calories and sodium. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I have tried quinoa, as a rice substitute, and it's pretty good. It may not exactly be rice, but it's not bad. It has good protein, some carbs, and a good amount of fiber as well. That's another thing, fiber intake should increase, since it'll help the food pass through your body faster, thus you won't absorb as much.

Give yourself one pig out day, where you eat whatever you want no matter how unhealthy it is. You are always going to have desires for unhealthy food, but if you have a certain day designated as your unhealthy eating day, then you are more likely to wait for that day rather than random urges. I think a lot of people go on extreme diets where they eat just healthy stuff, and as soon as they hit their weight target, revert to old habits of eating, and gain all the weight back. Also, it's important to find healthy foods that you actually like. Turning Avacado into guacamole is simple, and it makes it taste much better. Quinoa tastes better. Juicing is also a good way to get healthier as well, since a lot of times, juices aren't as bad tasting as the fruit itself. For example, I hate carrots and celery, don't like it in any way or form, but I can tolerate celery juice (when mixed with an apple also being juiced, celery juice by itself still sucks) and I can take carrot juice as well.

Don't completely ignore calories. Your general recommendation for calorie intake is 2000. But when you factor in calories, factor in the amount that your burned. If you burned, 700, and ate 2000 calories worth of food, then obviously 1300 is the net number of calories for that day. Don't go to negative calories, or have your net number go below 700, because then, your body will eventually adapt, and start storing more and more food as fat (starvation mode) while you will feel more and more tired, making it harder to lose weight. Keep the net at around 1000-1500 and you should be good for losing weight on a steady pace, as long as you work out at a steady rate during the week as well.

Have patience. Don't expect to be ripped in a month. Aim to lose one pound per week at most. Some may be accelerated, but don't aim for like a pound a day. Eventually you will be disappointed, and it will be unhealthy.

When working out, always have something to distract you. Music is the primary one, but tv can work out. If you work out at a gym, ogling the cute girl on the elliptical works too. Since I work out from home, I tend to watch baseball games, which takes my mind off working out, and helps me work out for longer.

Once you hit a goal weight, reduce the cardio and increase the muscle toning workouts. If you are fat, no amount of crunches, muscle weights, situps, pushups are going to show up in muscle tone. The muscles may actually be there, but the fat would be covering it, leading people to get disappointed, or giving up.

That's some of the tips that I've seen as I've tried to lose weight. I'm not an expert of losing weight or muscle building. I've researched for my own good, and these were some that I found to be very helpful so far.

8. MURDR

MURDR Banned

^Almost correct on most points, but let me say a few things.

1. The average person who doesn't work out burns around 2000 calories a day just moving around and doing daily activities. The bigger you are, the more than number increases. If you're trying to lose weight, literally the only way to do it is to consume less calories than you burn.

2. You are probably not burning as many calories as you think. I hear people talk about how they burn 2-3k calories per workout...that's BS. Cut that 1k in half if you worked REALLY hard and that still may be overestimating.

9. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

1. True, but since the body burns 2000 to remain at given weight, and if you burn say 700, that's 2700 burned. If you eat say 2000 calories, that's 1300 in terms of calorie intake. I wasn't factoring in the 2000 burned normally. I meant, if you can deduct the amount of calories from 2000 and get it no lower than 700, it would mean that you had an intake of say 1500, burned 800 by working out, and then burned 2000 normally, you are now 1300 down. By net calories, I meant not burning off with workouts more than you eat. Like say if you ate 1500, and burned 1600, on top of the 2000 that you normally burn.

2. Yeah the readings on treadmills and stuff tend to be over-rated for marketing purposes. I personally tend to use it to burn 1000 on the reader, before moving onto an ab glider, an stationary bike, and a bowflex system. Although the more you work out and build up muscle, these muscles burn more (also weigh more than fat) calories, which helps in losing weight as well.

It's tough to lose weight, and takes determination. I know when I first started, hated working out on back to back days, but if you get into a routine, it eventually starts getting tolerable.

Also another note, try to get wireless headphones. I know there are a bunch of bluetooth headsets (true headsets, not the ones on one ear) available for about $40. It comes in handy when listening to music, but you don't have to deal with wires getting caught up or getting in your way.

10. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

From not eating carbs.

Low carb is fine (ie 100~ grams of carbs a day) but very low carbs (<50g a day) will put you into ketosis.

And if youre a fat schlob, or just a typical american who has a crappy diet over many years resulting in a degree of insulin resistance. Then you are very susceptible to heart problems or dangerously low levels of blood sugar.

Obviously reducing carbs is important since your typical person is eating 60-80% refined carbs/shit all day, but the extremes are rather dangerous

11. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Oh alright, wasn't sure if you were taking those ~2k calories into consideration, haha.

And yeah, I want wireless headphones, but i know a lot of them have to be within a certain distance of a plug with some special system plugged into it.

While it's not wireless, I like using the IE2 from Bose and a strap to secure it to my arm.

Except for hitting the heavybag, my headphones/iTouch never budges (or didn't until I broke one of the ear things in half).

12. colleen74

colleen74 Member

I LOVE my bluetooth headphones. I just put my iphone in the back zipper pocket of my pants and run! I have these ones and the sound and loudness is just perfect....

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S305...42789341&sr=8-4&keywords=bluetooth+headphones

But my bff just go these ones and I may switch because she really loves them and they don't have the foam padding on the ear which gets kinda sweaty and gross.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Tone-Wirel...42789341&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+headphones

13. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I used to have the wireless ones where you had a base and then had to plug in wires to your audio feed and all, those suck.

But the bluetooth ones are pretty easy since I use my Iphone for music as well. The range is great, and it also helps that you can answer the phone while working out, and don't have to worry about possibly messing up the touch screen with sweat.

I, for some reason, don't like the in ear headphones, because they always seem to fall out of my ears when I run, unless I shove it there and reshape my inner ear canal. I used to worry about the wires when I lifted weights, because they would always get in the way. And when doing weights, since my arm would be flexing, there were never a right fit for arm bands, and having the phone in my pockets scared me as well, because when I release the weights (or put the dumbbells down), they'd be near the phone.

Although I heard Bose has some really nice audio quality. I have an Audio Technica noise cancelling one that's really good, but has short wires, so I don't use it while working out. Less expensive too, although still like 100 or so.

I love them too. I have one, that is similar to the Motorola one, although by Alureteck or something. The quality is good, the charge lasts some time, and really helps out with the phone. It was something that I didn't think was a big deal when I didn't have it, but it's been great since I got it.

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

So I decided to weigh myself to check my progress. A week ago today I was 170.5lbs. This morning I am 162lbs. No lie. How the hell did I lose over 8lbs in one week!? I wasn't starving myself, I still ate carbs, I wasn't exercising for 5 hours a day. I literally just counted my calories, did a lot more walking (i.e. park car as far away at work, take the stairs, walks in the evening, etc.) and cut out snacks and junk food. I don't think the scale is broken because my wife did her weigh in as well and she's lost a more reasonable amount (like 4lbs).

My theory is that I've been consuming significantly less sodium so I'm probably retaining significantly less water weight. I'm no expert (obviously) but I'm guessing that water weight is the first to be shed.

The weird thing is I can't really notice a difference yet. I think I'm going to find some clothes that don't or barely fit me and try them on every week along with weighing myself so I can actually see some physical proof of the improvements.

Anyway, I'm going to keep it up, obviously. Thanks for all your tips so far, some of them we're going to implement more gradually. I think it'll be easier to slowly change our lifestyles over a few months than just one day completely change the way we do things.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Figured id update

I actually bought some Bronkaid today (live in NY).

Wasnt even asked for ID or anything

Same shit as usual, 25mg of ephedrine

So its definitely still completely legal

16. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Are you stacking? I remember back in the day stacker3 was legit. You could do work on any fast food all day and lose weight.

Another good weight loss supplement is Oxyelite pro.

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Read the South Beach Diet. It's not what you think, it will teach you how and what to eat and why. If you actually follow it for a few weeks you probably will drop 5 pounds even if you're not particularly overweight.

Walk, run or do any other cardio workout for 45 minutes to an hour 3 to 4 times a week. Do some weight training 2 to 3 times a week and make sure you do squats as part of the weight work out along with dead lifts and wide rows. Weight training builds lean muscle mass that burns calories very efficiently.

If you drink cut back you will probably get pretty quick results just by doing that.

18. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

You ever hear of Mike Dolce? A great book to pick up is The Dolce Diet, good way to lose weight and stay healty.

I like Kettle bells cause they combind the cardio with the weight tranning. I think 95% of Kettle bell workouts include squats lol

19. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Starting to see outlines of my abs by the time I break my fast in the afternoon at 220 pounds. Not sure what my bodyfat percentage is currently, but want to get under ten percent at 220, while benching 500, squatting 500, and deadlifting 600. want to do this in around 2 years time (the strength part of it).

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Yessir 25/200 3x

I just wasnt sure what the legality was on Bronkaid since tons of people have been saying that it was illegal (which its definitely not).

I was shocked how cheap the shit is though, I bought 2 boxs and it was 11$ had to ask the chick if she rang me up for both.

Crazy inexpensive stuff