Should the Jets trade for Colt McCoy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Jun 15, 2012.

1. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

This is just... Really?

2. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

He's just not the "Real McCoy."

3. MikeJetsWord

MikeJetsWord New Member

This is exactly correct.. no need to give up picks for someone who would be marginally better than what we have.

4. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Nope. Thought he was overrated with Texas - recall McCoy getting a very favorable call (slow 0:01 clock) after stupidly brain-cramping at the very end of the Nebraska game, a game the Cornhuskers and Suh (a 1-man wreaking crew) deserved to win....McCoy's bone-headed choke in crunch time was bailed out by UT kicker Hunter Lawrence.

on-topic (Jets): Why McCoy? Our #2 Tebow is no legitimate NFL QB in the traditional ('arm') sense, and any "what about McElroy?" should not be dismissed as the rash Brett Ratliff love. I'm probably overplaying the McElroy card but all things considered, I don't think he's been given a good look - especially under that jerk Schottenheimer's watch. The bottom line is the Jets are going to make or break behind Sanchez and not Tebow or McCoy who is McElroy "arm-wise" minus the feel (read: smarts).

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

What if he comes here for a year,then retires as a Brown? I just can't imagine risking the heartache

7. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

No way would I trade McElroy for McCoy. McElroy is most likely the smartest quarterback we have. We know Sanchez is vulnerable to injury and Tebow will have a target on his back like never before. McElroy may not have the greatest arm but if they have to put him on the field, his command and control could save the season. I don't get that feeling at all from McCoy regardless if Mangini is a lunkhead.

8. kellypkjoe

kellypkjoe New Member

Why? he is nothing but a career backup.

9. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

You can never have too many bad QBs?

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

should this thread be taken seriously?

11. jlee499

jlee499 Member

It was the 2010 BCS National Championship where Texas, led by Colt McCoy, for a short while at least, was beaten by Alabama, led by some quarterback named Greg McElroy.

12. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

Of Course. Tim Tebow is not enough of a distraction

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It would be utterly hilarious if they traded Tebow for McCoy. Obviously its not happening and backup QB is the least of our needs, but it would be so funny seeing all the Teboners leave this site and go sign up somewhere else at a moments notice.

14. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

McElroy will be far better for the Jets. The guy won a championship in the SEC. That is a very tough brand of football. Obviously you and others are down on him because he answered a question to a nosy reporter last year! Who cares? If the kid can play, he will have learned his lesson. He will not repeat the same mistake twice. guaranteed and there is no need for the fan base to get all over him. He will do just fine filling in for us when he has to. The giuy had no camp last year and played well in preseason games. Lets give him a shot before we throw away our draft choices. We have done way too much of that!

15. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

McElroy's critics do not want to be reminded of that championship in head to head play! LOL

16. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

Sweet! 3 quarterbacks that can't throw!

17. tzinc

tzinc New Member

Tebow is better than him so it makes NO SENSE to do this.

18. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

How is this thread still going? lol

19. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

And you don't want to be reminded that Colt McCoy only played in one drive before his arm went numb after getting tackled. In the mean time, Greg McElroy handed the ball to Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson a combined 41 times for 225 yards, while throwing 6/11 for 58 yards.

Colt McCoy was in a system at Texas where they threw it all day long, and he took them to 45 wins as a starter. It's no secret that Cleveland's biggest weakness on offense is the wide receivers, so he wasn't getting much help with the Browns. Perhaps he's not a great quarterback, but there's evidence to suggest that he's better than what he showed in Cleveland.

I'm not saying trading a draft pick for him would be a good move. But if he's on the FA market in a year and the price is right, I don't know that it would be a bad idea to give him a look. I bet it wouldn't get that far unless Sanchez really bites it this year.

I like Greg McElroy as a personality, but I don't think he has much to offer the Jets outside of handing the ball off in the event of serious injury issues. That's fine if Sanchez (and Tebow) run an effective offense, and right now we don't know if that's the case.

20. Chowdahead

Chowdahead New Member

I think Mark S is better and if the team and media get behind him he would be pretty good. Run the ball more and how about a screen pass or two?