Joe Namath, Still the f*****g man.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dirty6Sanchez, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I have a friend who's father tragically passed away last month in his mid-40s. The family was devastated, as was everyone that knew them. They are all HUGE Jets fans with season tickets that would annually host Jets playoff viewing parties (if on the road and in the playoffs).

Today my friend and his family received a football signed by Joe Namath stating:

To the (family's name). Stay strong fellas. My love to yall.

- Joe Namath 12

Really classy thing to do, just wanted to share this little story with all you TGGers.

2. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

joe namath is a genuine ny legend

3. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

He really is. Most people here weren't around for SB III and don't know the abuse the Jets (and Jets fans) took in New York. Saying they were treated like second- class citizens is being generous. Namath was frequently in the news, and never in a positive light. Pics of him in nightclubs, with blondes, in fur coats- things not done by any male in the mid to late '60s- were what the papers would print. Most reporters hated him and ripped his performances as often as they could- which was frequently, considering the number of times he threw at least five interceptions.

NO ONE outside of Jets fans expected them to win that game- NO ONE. There were bemused stories about how this Mickey Mouse league and it's loudmouth quarterback were going to be beaten worse than Oakland and KC had been, and the SB should be cancelled in the future. And those were the hometown reporters! Consider a SB between last year's Packers and Colts and you'll understand the NFL's and establishment reporters' conceit about the game. I was hoping they'd make it interesting for the first time in SB history- nothing more.

I remember the game like it was yesterday. My father had just gotten his first color TV that Christmas and the picture was perfect. The first half was nerve- racking; the Colts did have alot of chances but kept making mistakes. But the Jets were playing at well as the Colts- it blew my 19 year old mind (hey- it was 1969!). I was so pumped during halftime I couldn't sit still or calm down.

The second half was even better. The Jets played GREAT that day. The whole team played the game of their lives and Joe was the reason. His confidence infected his teammates that day.

When the game ended and he walked off the field holding his finger in the air I was filled with a euphoria I still can't explain. I felt like I was floating on a cloud. I've never felt that way since.

He was the first Jets champion, the first AFL champion, the man who said he'd do it and actually did. He'll always be a legend in New York and deserves to be.

4. GreenMachine

Ummm..That continues today. No giants fans go through the abuse Jets fans do

5. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

#5 nycarl, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  6. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Joe Namath is awesome. He is one of the best reasons to be a Jet fan.

Go Jets

7. TheGreenCantona

classless at times but that is a classy move

8. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Nice move. It's just too bad he's gotten so bitter and resentful in his latter years toward his own organization.

9. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Great thread and story by nycarl.

I've always liked Joe, even when he strongly criticizes the team. I know it really bothers some posters on the board here, but the way I see it is it's just a sign that he still cares for his NY Jets. And TBH, I agree with him 95% of the time.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Good stuff. But please remember no swearing in the thread titles,.

11. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Hellz yeah, Broadway Joe!

12. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

The man the myth the legend. :beer:

13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Yep well said & when he stuck that #1 finger up in the air I went crazy because the feelings I had were so terrific. When I watch the game again these days when the Colts made that on side kick I still get Poed. You know the NYJs DID NOT throw a pass in the 4th qtr of SB3?

Naturally the best game EVER I saw in NYJ history the 2nd best one was the PO game at Shea when they beat Oak to go to the SB

:smile:

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Great move by Namath. I'm sure the family was absolutely thrilled.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Awesome post man.

16. GATA

GATA Member

That's really nice.

He's always been such a vocal figure for the NY Jets, even if sometimes we don't like what he says, he'll always be our SB QB. That's why I rock his Jersey :beer:

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Ditto. He's crap in my eyes, decided being a radio personality was more important then being a Jet Icon. Do you think Mickey Mantle would have ever talked about the yankees that way? Ahh no. Can't have it both ways

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Still can't believe people hate Joe Namath now because of the occasional comments he makes on radio. Seriously? I was born over a decade after Namath retired, but I would never hate him. Do I wish he'd shut his mouth sometimes? Absolutely. But I'm not going to hate the most important player in Jets history because he doesn't agree with everything Rex does. That's unbelievable to me.

19. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Apologies
    They were very touched. With all they've been through that was one hell of a gesture by Broadway Joe.

20. patdaman819

patdaman819 Member

Simply WOW broadway joe was and will always be the greatest man in the JETS history.

All my condoleance to your friends familly