Smith is trying to learn the NFL game and earn a spot with Gang Green

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 4, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...starred-rugby-now-trying-test-skills-nfl-jets

I hope this guy can learn quick enough to make the team. It would be a great story if nothing else.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It would be GREAT having a story line other than San-Bow this season!!!

I'm sure MNF would show clips of the Aussie killing some dude in Rugby every time he makes a play for the Jets

3. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

He's gonna end up on the practice squad I think. We have too much going on with the roster for him to have a real shot. At TE we already have Keller, Cumberland and Baker. We already have an extra runningback in Ganaway. A gimmick QB in Tebow. A really raw 2nd round pick in Hill that may cause the staff to want extra bodies at WR. And as it is Rex likes to carry an extra DB or two on the roster.

Great stories aside, I'd really just like some more wins rather than roster fodder.

4. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

one good thing about him being an international player, is he can be on the practice squad and not count towards the 8-player limit and is protected so other teams can't poach him.

I forget where I read this, but I remember seeing it in a few separate articles after he was signed. I believe its contingent on him renting, and not establishing residence in the US or something along those lines...

5. Harrier Manc-Jet

With rugby being big over here and knowing all about the game i can tell you this guy has a great chance, watched him play against wasps. He has great hands and alot of power but still think its a long shot to grasp all he has too and make any sort of impact next year

6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a stretch to say that Smith 'dominated' the game of rugby, but he has the physical tools to do the job. The questions is, can he pick it up quickly enough at the age of 27?

7. Harrier Manc-Jet

He is good but like you say dominate rugby is a bit far fetched, i think its best if jets fans and coaches are realistic that he prob will just be a depth player and play a few snaps anything more when he has never padded up is a long shot.

That said Be nice if he pulls it off

8. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Coming from a nation where rugby is the national sport, I'm rooting for this guy to make it on the team. If he picks up the differences in tackling with and without pads, he could at least become a decent contributor on special teams.

9. sg3

sg3 Banned

when I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of Eric Smith who certainly needs to learn the game along with how to not be outrun by Tight Ends who run 4.7 40s