Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Hopefully this is the beginning of a turnaround for Ike with hitting. On to South Beach!!

2. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Another great win and what was nice about Ike's homer was that he stayed with the pitch....nice swing and more what we are used to.

I have said this before but Collins is doing such a great job with this team of players....really shines through the team spirit they have going

3. sg3

sg3 Banned

FIVE games above .500

there is not a media "expert" alive who predicted the Amazin's would be within 5 games under .500 after the first 31 games of the season...

all they do is play hard for their manager and make clutch two out hits to come from behind and win games most of us would easily have given up against (for example: against Halladay and Lee)

of course, backed up by quality starting pitching for the most part and a bullpen performing way above expectations

They remind me of the 1967 Mets who started to turn things around with an influx of quality young kids from their farm system

Hopefully they go down and ruin Reyes weekend like they did when he showed up to well deserved booing at Citifield earlier in the season

4. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

You are right. I liked what Collins did last year but this year he has these guys playing at a whole different level. The players just seem to have a totally different attitude. I think you can point to collins for that.

5. sg3

sg3 Banned

Its amazing really that the Mets are doing OK with those two superstar studs Bay and Pelfrey on the DL.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

6. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

1967 Mets had 61 wins. I hope these Mets have more than that!

7. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

If the Mets can just grab a pitcher at the trade deadline, we can seriously contend for one of those wild card spots this year.

8. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

They deserve the opportunity, but it's very unlikely if the Nats keep winning.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I agree - they would have to go 43-88 the rest of the way to end up with only 61 wins!

In fact, 1967 wasn't a very good year for the Mets. They fell back from 1966, when they had climbed out of last place for the first time, and most of the young guys on the team who had joined the team earlier and became important later (Grote, Harrelson, Jones) had worse years in 1967 than in 1966 (Grote was absolutely horrible). The only real exception was Swoboda, who probably had the best year of his career in 1967. Tommy Davis had a very good year, and was then promptly traded for Tommie Agee and Al Weis. I remember being disappointed with that season at the time in comparison to either 1966 or 1968.

Of course, there was one thing that happened in 1967 that turned out to be kind of important for the team - a fella by the name of Tom Seaver began his career.

10. Odd Neck Stems

Edgin and Tovar are not elite, sorry. Talking about SS's, Phillip Evans has a higher ceiling than Tovar, and Tovar hasn't really produced at an elite level anywhere. It seems he can be a plus defender, but his bat is no where near developed enough to call him a potential elite talent.

And Edgin might be a top-line bullpen arm, but that in itself disqualifies him from being an elite prospect. Anyone whose ceiling is the bullpen cannot be a top-level prospect, almost by definition. He might see a call-up this year, and he could be incredibly useful, but doesn't have the prospect status of any of the big starting pitching talent in the organization.

11. MParty7441

They keep saying they won't call up Harvey, but if they're in it and Harvey is pitching well they will have to call him up.

12. DFW_Jet

DFW_Jet New Member

Chris Young should be back soon too. He had a great start last year before the injury. They could be pretty solid if things go well for him.

And hopefully they just platoon Bay with Duda once he is ready to come back... nothing like reactivating Bay to kill the mojo.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Mets have a tough June schedule. If they make it to July and still have a winning record, then Harvey should get called up if needed.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Huh?

Three teams from the same division can make the postseason now. Why would the Nats winning mean that the Mets could not pursue a pitcher?

15. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Excellent start by the Fish!

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Marlins forum isn't poppin' tonight?

17. statjeff22

Baxter with the pinch hit double to put the Mets ahead 5-3!

18. MParty7441

I don't believe this team right now.

19. statjeff22

Davis error costs a run.

20. statjeff22

I'll be shocked if Francisco doesn't blow this save.