Interesting "Options" on Offense this year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jjt4201, May 11, 2012.

1. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Nope, it's completely legal. All it is is a single wing offense with a wildcat-like motion. I know lots of high schools that have run this with success (in many different states, even FL). Never been used in college or NFL before. I'd personally like to see it. Would be interesting.

2. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

oh my god that would be so horrible. i hope they never ever do anything like that. what your saying essentially, is that on any given play, mark sanchez can be blocking or going out for a pass, or relying on tebow for some blocking or he will be going out for a pass. how many quarterbacks do you think we have on the team?

3. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

Right now 5. And with these plays, we will end up using every one of them...

4. Bannon

Bannon New Member

There's only one solution. Mark Sanchez must be traded for Brad Smith.

5. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I had a similar thought. Essentially that Mangold was good enough to snap to either QB. However, if one player has to be behind the centre, that changes things. Of course, that player could be Greene, with Sanchez and Tebow either side...just a thought.

6. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I dunno, it seems like a waste replacing a potential extra blocker or receiver with Tebow/Sanchez just for the sake of misdirection.

Think of it this way, if it's a running play, you really trust Tebow and Sanchez to lead a block for Greene? Or Greene and Sanchez blocking for Tebow? Defenses are already gonna be playing close to the line since you only have 2 WRs out there. And now you're handicapping the runner with one less blocker too.

If it's a passing play, our O-Line has been swiss cheese, and now you want Tebow and Greene as the last line of defense to Sanchez, the supposed franchise QB. He's not gonna last very long.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yep. I doubt this is gonna work.

8. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

I have no idea if this would work or not. Pro style defenses are generally fast and hyper-intelligent. Like I said, it's just something that's been in my head and this board contains the only people in my vicinity who would possible even care about the topic.
    Also, if Sanchez didn't get the ball he could conceivably catch a pass, but he doesn't really have to do anything but be a decoy. This play is about timing, and making the defense think more than it wants to and giving our skill players an opportunity to get open.

9. MURDR

MURDR Banned

It could work with our personnel. You have to understand the offense. My team ran it in HS and we had similar players in terms of skill set and had success with it.

That being said, while I'd like to see an NFL or college team try and run it, I'd prefer not to take the chance and would rather have another team attempt to run it.

I mean, it's a gimmick offense, but the spinner series is extremely confusing. I've played in that system and played against it (in practice), and you can't really gameplan against it. Your LBs have to be EXTREMELY smart, and your defense will more often times than not be outnumbered on the side the ball is being run to.

But again, I'd rather have another team try it.

#29 MURDR, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Tebow would be a H-Back, meaning you would have 4 potential receivers: Hill, Holmes, Keller and Tebow.
    Keller would do a chip and then his route. Tebow could do a chip and then his route.

11. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

I think it's too late. This play may not be in the book, but there will definately be plays that look similar whether both QB's are on the field or not. Our team is going experimental whether you prefer it or not.

12. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

I have zero confidence in Tebow for that role. He's going to get demolished by defenders running through him. Have we even seen him make a catch out of the backfield? You realize it takes a good deal of footwork and ability to run that effectively? I mean, just compare LT and Greene...LT makes it look seamless, Greene is a bumbling mess catching out the backfield.

And secondly, Sanchez is terrible with that throw. How many times have we seen him float one high to LT or a WR on a quick out or screen? Then see a safety or LB come up and completely run through them when they're left exposed stretching out for the ball. You want Tebow in that situation?

Throwing the ball in general is a bad idea out of this formation. We have a rookie WR and another one that had trouble getting separation last year, and you want them to be the only threats out there when they're likely going up against a CB with safety/LB help? And you put Keller out there to catch, then you put one less blocker out there yet again. You're essentially hoping the front 5 (terrible last year) to protect the QB and Greene (who's been dreadful at picking up blitzes and blocking in general).

And I saw you mention Sanchez potentially catching the ball, too. I can't even speak to how badly that'll go.

13. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Although I can not predict who would be able to run which route, I appreciate any critiques as then maybe I can stop thinking about it as a possibility.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Sanchez is gonna get kilt anytime that play doesn't start with him passing the ball. Probably most times he does, too.

15. reverseapachemaster

Does the fumblerooski work in that format, too?

16. jjt4201

jjt4201 Active Member

Sanchez has run the ball in goal line situations. Chances are though in this type of play he would be throwing the ball to either Keller or hill. I don't remember him getting killed the 300 times a season he "runs" a route during our wildcat plays or on reverses. While has had problems in the past, technically he can make every pass needed in the NFL.
    Also it's already been established that Tebow will be blocking, running and passing the ball. I don't know if he will be running routes but it is not far fetched to see him do so, regardless of the difficulty.
    And finally, you can replace Greene with McNight if you don't think he's capable of catching a pass.

17. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

I prefer this formation with Tebow and Sanchez.

[​IMG]

18. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

I think the fundamental flaws outway any trickery gained.

The flaws as stated above are turning Sanchez and Tebow into potential blockers when they have little business doing so. The other issue is that once Sanchez doesn't receive the ball, he loses all the special protections afforded to the QB position; someone will light him up with a crushing hit. Finally, there is reason to expect that Sanchez or Tebow would be worse route runners and receivers and blockers than the people already trained and practicing that position; and at least for Sanchez, he can't get any practice wearing that redshirt in practice.

As to the trickery, there is already tons of trickery built into the NFL offense. Any play could potentially be a run or a pass. Any pass could potentially be play-action, or a roll to the left or the right. The half back option, direct snaps or flea flickers are already in most playbooks. But those trick plays often work based upon the personel on the field NOT signalling a trick play. Here the defensive adaptation could be as simple as a DT throwing a hand up in the direction of the snap. OLBs would still have the same responsibility to set the edge or chase down the rolling QB. The D Line still would have the responsibility to smash into the guy in front of him. The MLB would still have the responsibility to fill the hole the Oline is trying to create. I don't see much gained here other than tricking the poor camera man.

19. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

My hope, when we got rid of Schotty and brought in Sparano, was that we'd be employing fewer gimmicks not more.

20. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

You're a massive nerd. Please try to get involved with the opposite sex ASAP.