Devito Restructures Contract

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by msldythNYJ, May 8, 2012.

1. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Your right. He was hurt, and that makes his efforts even more stout. If he can stay healthy he's great for depth which is important throughout a long season.

2. sg3

sg3 Banned

win win for both DeVito and for the Jets.... gives him guaranteed money in case his playing time takes a drop with the arrival of Coples and/or the emergence of Kenrick

and puts the Jets around 8 million under the cap AFTER they sign their draft choices. The rookie wage scale allows them to know that number even before they are signed

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^That's not bad at all, for some reason I thought we had much less money. We should def sign Leonhard in that case. He'll get 1.5 million at best.

4. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Great. More "dead money" when we release him next year. We REALLY need to stop doing this and be more fiscally responsible.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

um.he is in the last year of his deal.they restructured that one year.at the end of this one year he will be a f.a. there is nor will there be ant dead money.but hey any chance to sound like a s.o.j.f. amiright ?

6. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

LOL this reminds me of hard knocks. Tanny gets these guys to restructure by being brutally honest.

"hey guy, either were going to cut you or you can restructure and have a guaranteed 2.5 mil"

7. baamf

baamf Active Member

This team could use more with the mentality of a Mike DeVito; easy guy to root for, love the passion and dedication. The addition of Dunbar could be very beneficial to the entire D-line as well...

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_mike_devito_not_thrown_of.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike DeVito has relied on the same approach through his five-year NFL career.

He’s worked hard and never worried about fame or status or the factors he can’t control. It’s what helped him go from an undrafted free agent out of Maine to a respected starter on the Jets defensive line.

So even after the Jets drafted defensive end Quinton Coples No. 16 overall and deemed him a starter, casting uncertainty on DeVito’s role, it’s not surprising that DeVito's attitude is unchanged.

“It brings competition, and it will make everybody better,” DeVito said in a phone interview today. “I’m excited for whatever my role is. Whatever the coaches want me to do, I’ll give everything I’ve got, just like I always have. I’m excited about competition, and I’m excited about the different things we can do with Coples.”

DeVito said he hasn’t had a specific conversation with the Jets coaches on what his role will be this season. But he promised, “whatever situation it ends up being won’t motivate me any less.”

Coach Rex Ryan has said on two separate occasions that Coples will be a starter, though he hedged by pointing out that the Jets use multiple fronts and packages and roll personnel in and out. When asked how that will impact DeVito, he admitted he couldn’t define DeVito’s role at this point.

A week after the Jets selected Coples, DeVito agreed to restructure his contract, dropping his total compensation by about $600,000, though a playing-time incentive offers him the chance to earn that money back. DeVito politely declined to speak about the specifics of the restructuring or the circumstances around it, though he did explain, “I did what I felt was best for me, my family and my future.”

“I want to be a Jet. I want to play for this team,” said DeVito, whose roster spot is essentially assured because he is due $2.5 million guaranteed. “I’m excited about this year, the way the team is building up. I’m excited about the atmosphere, the people here. It’s setting up for a great year. I can’t get into contract specifics, but this is the team I want to play for, and I am grateful it worked out where I am able to be here.”

DeVito’s enthusiasm for this year is genuine. He is particularly excited to work with new defensive line coach Karl Dunbar.

In just a few weeks under Dunbar, DeVito said he has learned “more than I have ever.” He said Dunbar brings innovative ideas but can teach them in a simple manner, and has an impressive ability to dissect opposing offenses.

Dunbar has experience playing and coaching a 4-3 front, which DeVito believes will help the line improve at rushing the passer. He doesn’t think the Jets will stray too far from what they’ve done in the past, but DeVito did note the addition of Coples could allow the Jets to mix in more 4-3 fronts and new concepts to their base 3-4.

“He can add versatility and help us change it up, become more multiple,” DeVito said.

DeVito said he has no limitations after a “quick scope” this offseason to clean out debris from his shoulder. His expectations for this year are simple: Keep improving. He wants to continue his growth as a run defender, add to his pass-rush ability and help the defense achieve its motto of “one step faster.”

When asked if Ryan sat down with him after drafting Coples, DeVito said there has been “nothing specific.” But he said he loves Ryan, and he believes that he and Dunbar support him and want him to succeed.

DeVito hinted that there was some uncertainty about his spot on the team after Coples was drafted. But he leaned on his strong Christian faith, and he’s moving ahead with the same outlook that got him here.

“You always recognize that it’s a business, and business decisions are made all the time,” DeVito said. “That’s where I fall back on my faith, and trust that God has a plan for my life. Things might be shaky and rocky, and you don’t know what’s going to happen, but you relax when you trust that God has a plan for you.”