There are 4 or 5

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by b.reyes16, May 4, 2012.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Did you guys realize that we have four or five guys who could make a case for a starting spot this year? The obvious ones are Hill and Coples.

Demario Davis- He made a huge impression on Rex Ryan today with his leadership skills. He made RAY LEWIS comparisons. His speed is something this team really lacks and if Bart Scott struggles in coverage or gets lazy like last year, don't be surprised if he becomes the starter opposite David Harris.

Antonio Allen- I didn't see much about him today, but we had a second round grade on him. It's incredible that he slipped as far as he did. Right now, Landry is the only legitimate starting safety. We are talking about a guy who was a second team All-American last year IN THE 7th ROUND! If Smith doesn't want to lose his starting spot, he better work his ass off to get better in coverage.

Terrance Ganaway (correct spelling?)- Also someone who I didn't see much about. I don't think that he is as good as Shonn Greene, but he is interesting. He was extremely productive in an offense where he was overshadowed. Granted, defenses did have RGIII-Kendall Wright to worry about. He obviously has great size at 240 lbs. and he plays faster than his 40 time on tape. I think he will at the very least be a nice compliment to Greene.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this draft. I think we will at the very least get 3 future starters out of it and I am impressed with what I've seen. Don't pay any attention to draft grades from so-called "analysts". This looks like a much better draft than we have had in recent years.

2. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

If the NYJETS start 4-5 rookies, would you consider this team in the rebuilding mode?

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Ganaway will not start on offense.

he will be used in 3rd down and goal line scenarios.

4. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Mo Wilks is the only rokkie I can think of that has started on the team since Rex took over. Heck, the barely even dress some of the rookies for games.

Out of these rookies, Coples should see the most time. I doubt Hill will be ready but they'll develop a package for him. Davis is possible in a nickel package. Antonio Allen would need an injury from Landry to see anytime at all (but Landry is injury prone). Just the same Ganaway would probably need an injury to see any time at all.

5. b.reyes16

I'm just excited like Tim Tebow.

I don't think there will be that many, but Hill and Coples will start. Davis has a decent shot if Bart Scott plays like last year and safety is a huge hole. Allen is just flat out better than Eric Smith. The only reason Smith will probably start is because Rex Ryan loves him.

6. b.reyes16

I probably shouldn't have put his name up there, but I got excited. I think Ganaway will be a nice compliment to Greene. I don't think there is much of a chance he will start either.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Coples will start and play a fair amount. He may not start for the first few games though.

Hill will get a strong look as a starter in camp but probably is not good to go yet. The Jets may start him but the track record for raw rookies at WR is not good their first season or two.

Davis will play special teams from the get-go and will be on the field for the first time before the two above.

After that it's a crap shoot.

I expect the Jets will get a few starters out of this draft but Coples is the only one I think has a good chance to both start and be productive next season.

8. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

Mark Sanchez

9. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

By "we" do you mean this board or the Jets? Because I sincerely doubt the Jets had a 2nd round grade on Allen.

10. b.reyes16

No, I mean the Jets. I read it in an article. If I can refind it, I will post it.

My bad, CBS Sports had the second round grade on him.

#10 b.reyes16, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

you forgot about our 4th round pic, who many say will be starting by the 3rd game...

12. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Evidentally I didn't think too hard there:drunk: And Sanchez really looked like a rookie. Still to the greater point, Rex doesn't seem to trust the rookies. They'll really have to prove it.

13. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

for a coach who doesnt trust rookies he just compared one to ray lewis

14. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]LLBSE5kzM7o[/YOUTUBE]

15. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

By 2013 all of them will be starting

16. cspkrazy

cspkrazy New Member

Kyle wilson started

17. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Ahead of Revis and Cromartie? No. After the Revis injury, then he was benched. And not just benched but considered a bust until the off season.

18. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

Haha I'm not so sure if it's that Rex doesn't trust rookies or that for the most part we 1. Haven't had a lot of draft choices because of trades, and 2. Used those draft choices on either bad players (Ducasse), full blown projects (Ellis), or guys slated to backup for a year or two then take over (Greene, Conner, Slauson).

The fact is we've drafted very few impact players thee last 3 years under Rex, unfortunately. I think Coples, Hill, and Davis all have a chance to become excellent players though. And Allen, Bush, and Ganaway can all be contributors.

19. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

Yeah if the Jets had a 2nd round grade on him I doubt they would have taken another safety in the 6th over him haha.

Allen is a guy all the fake scouts grades highly, but obviously teams disagreed. I think he can make the team and contribute, but we need to keep our expectations in check.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Rex's comparison to Ray Lewis was nothing more than some leadership qualities he saw in Davis and he specifically said he's NOT comparing him to Lewis, only those qualities. Besides, even if he did compare him to Ray Lewis would you actually listen? Do we need to go back and look at some of the ridiculous comparisons he's made in the past to pump his players up?

What Rex says means absolutely nothing.

Coples and Hill will likely start right off the bat IMO.

I don't see any way in hell Davis starts. From what I've seen of him he sucks at getting off blockers in the run game. Maybe a passing situation guy only.

Josh Bush has a chance of starting eventually if we don't re-sign Leonhard, but I think we'd start the season with Smith/Landry (unfortunately). I could see him making it as a starter by seasons end, especially since Landry will likely be injured.

Ganaway could see a lot of carries, but I doubt he starts. He could be #2 on the RB depth chart and an injury away from starting by the beginning of the season though.

Griffen could be #2 on the G depth chart and an injury away from starting by the beginning of the season though.

Allen is probably in the same boat as Bush - it will depend on who the CS likes better.