One need very few people have mentioned

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wa2k99, Apr 30, 2012.

1. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

The blocking tight end. Besides Keller, we have Jeff Cumberland (who's a pvery good pass catcher), maybe Josh Baker and the rugby guy.

How confident can we be that one of these guys can provide that extra blocking that the ground n pound will need to thrive?

2. The impression I get is that the Jets are gonna do 1 of 2 things.

A. They will attempt to spread the field & run out of that in an attempt to create more space for runners up the gut

B. They will use a 6th linemen in jumbo situations. This allows the team flexibility at TE in an attempt to strike gold on one of these Recieving TE's, & also allows for a unique way to give young O-lineman game time experience

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I agree. Sticking Vlad in as a blocking TE seemed to work alright last season - no reason they can't do that again. If Rugby Guy is as gifted of an athlete and as fast a learner as he's said to be I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some playing time as well. Cumberland and Baker both have potential as well.

It would be nice to have a solid answer at #2 TE going into the season, but even if they have to mix it up a little to compensate I don't see it as a major concern. The Jets addressed much more pressing needs in the draft.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ask Emmitt how good of a blocking TE Novacek was.

As long as you use your TEs to block the safeties and secondaries, that humongous blocking TE is not a necessity. It becomes one when you try to block the LBs with TEs. (Wrong idea, by the way - which is why blocking TEs are usually #2s and #3s instead of #1s.)

5. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I'm actually hoping Cumberland, Smith, and a converted Turner are there to work with "I ate 1"

6. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

Think they'll go with an extra offensive linemen to play into Kellers strength and avoid using him as a pass blocker. But I do agree. let's see how camp plays out.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I was hoping you were going to say "backup center". I was hoping that we would find a backup for Mangold. We all saw what happened to our OL after Mangold went down last year. The guy I was hoping for was Ohio St. Center Mike Brewster. He went undrafted but ended up signing with Jacksonville.

8. BobLivius

BobLivius New Member

Schemes and/or FA will fix this. Mercedes Lewis may be still a FA. He has the size and ability if deemed wanted by the FO. This is position isn't problematic.

9. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

Hayden Smith, the rugby player

10. AGAW

AGAW New Member

Linthicum is solid. Led Sparty in pancake blocks...

Edit to add... Not this past season...

11. BookEndTackles 72&79

This was one of the more predictable aspects of the Schotty regime on O. Very rarely did I ever see a short yardage situation run out of a standard pro set or some guys split out wide. He packed everyone in tight most of the time

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I believe the rugby guy is expected to be the next Gronk :sad:

13. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I agree with Kurt, argument B

14. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

blocking TE = tim tebow

15. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

They are waiting for Holly to get back from the Olympics to announce her UDFA signing.

I thought Slaw took over calling the blocking schemes at the line when Nick goes down. Then Caleb or Vlad can step in for Slaw cause its an easier position.

16. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Good stuff guys. I think Cumberland will emerge as a legit #2 TE, but I heard his blocking stunk. So that's why a 3rd TE could be key for this offense. Now if they do have depth at OL to compensate, great.