The Option Offense...

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by dcm1602, Apr 29, 2012.

1. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

So one thing im noticing is this

The Jets new OC

Tony Sparano - Pioneer of the wildcat
    Stephen Hill - Dynamic Receiver Jets trade up for, played in... The option offense
    Timmy Tebow- Pure Option QB
    Terrance Ganaway- Ran option offense with RG3
    Robert Griffen- Can you say option offense

Sure it could all be a coincidental, but at the same time, this has to bode incredibly incredibly poorly for Sanchez.

I think we might be seeing WAY more option offensive sets next year than expected

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think this is reading way to far into it...

I doubt this is what put say Stephen Hill over Alshon Jefferey. Stephen Hill was the better prospect. They liked the size/speed combo in Ganaway, and I highly doubt that the picked was driven by the fact that he played in an option offense.

Just another way for someone to speculate on the so-called “QB controversy” that supposedly exists.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The option is dead in the NFL. It works as a gimmick offense sparingly used but basically NFL players are too fast on defense to let it be more than that.

Tebow's numbers on the ground last year look good on the face of them but Footballoutsiders analyzed him to be about the 26th most effective QB on the ground last year in terms of yards vs potential yards for his team per carry. He was way behind Sanchez, whose 2.3 was ranked 15th or something like that.

If the Jets go heavy wildcat/option next year they're going to be leaving a bunch of production on the field.

4. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

I'm expecting a 65 35 split between the two QBs going in of course thats subject to change based on performance. I don't understand the mindset in Football of why you can't have 2 QBs for the longest time teams had 1 RB and that changed. Every other position besides K P is subject to substitutions.

Question: Why is Sparano considered the pioneer of Wildcat didn't we have and use the Seminole before he was around down there? I know not as much used but I remember seeing it occasionally

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sparano is not the pioneer of the wildcat.

6. milo

milo Well-Known Member

This whole "Hill is an option receiver" horseshit is hurting my head. The kid went to school where he went, and they ran what they ran.

The Jets are in the business of evaluating TALENT, not scheme. Would a 6'4" 215 pound guy have had success in a "pro-style" college offense? Of course he would have. Why? Because he's fucking 6'4" 215!!!!!

Are you just supposed to not scout anybody from an option program? Is RG3 an option quarterback, or did he just take the hand he was dealt and run with it?

Seriously I hope people don't really think we're running a fucking college system 100% next year, and if we are we'll go 4-12.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't think Sanchez will give a rats ass if all we run is the option as long as we win.

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm all for using Tebow on ST and goal line but after that, take a seat Timmy.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Ok Sparano didnt Pioneer it (poor word choice), but he ran that shit into the ground, and maybe revolutionized it in the nfl.

All I know is we added 5 guys to our offense who all played significant roles in the option offense. I dont expect us to purely run an option offense, however, I wouldnt be surprised if we heavily featured it

10. sogreedy23

sogreedy23 Member

The problem is both QBs are so radically different. Yea defenses have to prepare for two QBs, but your problem at RT because the problem on your blindside. The play styles are so radically different for the oline, the WRs, the running backs. I'd rather not get cute, get Tebow in for like 5 O plays a game (max) or something. This is especially a problem because throughout his career, Sanchez has been known as a rhythm passer. I have the same problem as wen Schotty would call 5 great plays in a row, we've advanced 40 yards, then he calls a fucking reverse. Why break the rhythm like that? Taking snaps away from a young maturing rhythm QB is counter productive. If you're going to go with TT as your starter, fine, do it. Don't make it cutesy though, just get it done and have no problem with it.

As for the OP, I don't believe the system in which these players came back from is any indictment of a move away from Sanchez. I hope the organization stands behind him, especially now that he's getting a bit of stability with respect to his offense. I expect great things from Sanchez-30 pTD, maybe like 2 or 3 ruTD with under 15 picks. I don't care if his completion percentage is under 60% again, as long as he's holding on to the ball better and is raising his yards per attempt (enter: Hill:lol:).

To say I'm extremely excited to see this offense under a new coordinator, with new blood at WR and a full new blocking scheme is an understatement. Also excited that they're going to Cortland again so I can make a trip out of it again:)

11. Tonetime320

Tonetime320 Member

I hope we don't run the option I was getting excited about stretching the field and having big yardage plays. The option is just boring to me. I'll support anything but winning games but those denver games were down right boring.

12. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Two things about the Wildcat:

1) I think everybody took the "20 snaps a game" comment by Rex way too seriously. (By the way this weekend in an interview he said 30) What Rex was trying to say is you don't know if it's 2, 10, or 50, so you have to prepare for it. It was immediately taken as gospel that Sparano's going to run this 35% of the time.

2) Let's say we actually do take it literally and run it 35% of the time starting week 1. After Buffalo, who in my opinion has vastly improved their run (and pass) defense, we play the 1,3,and 8 run D's from last year all in a row. People are making the case for why Sanchez is going to get crushed and benched by week 5. I'd say it's more likely to see San Fran and especially Pittsburgh, with an offseason of film study and a BAD taste in their mouth, completely expose the Wildcat experiment and turn this whole scheme on its ass.

Sparano had the biggest advantage you can have when he had success with the Wildcat: surprise. Denver had it to a degree as well, but there's a year's worth of tape on Tebow now, most notably Belichick's blueprint on how to make him look like an asshole - twice.

Tebow by week 5? Tebow shouldn't be used as more than a Mike Alstott clone UNTIL week 5.

13. Shake-N-Bake

Shake-N-Bake Banned

You are comparing apples to oranges. Fox's offense is like few offenses in the league. Fox didn't want a prolific offense at all. He wanted to junk up the game to damage both offenses to protect his own defense. IF you want to see Tebow's real value on offense you would have to look at the few times in the game when Fox let him actually play. Such as the end of games when they had to score to win. Tebow dominated in those moments. Fox and Elway also moved the only decent receivers he had before he was made starter.. it was obvious what they were doing to Tebow when they did that.... same reason he isn't there anymore after beating the Steelers in the playoffs.

14. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Its also possible these players fell in the draft due to them being in option offenses. So count our blessings for that if that's the case. Maybe we got better talent because they weren't on offenses to showcase it enough.

I think the Tebow offense is going to shine in ST and goal line situations like evojoe said. Tebow will be the the punt protector which means teams won't know when we will punt or run/throw. Love that. Sanchez gets us to the red zone very well but switching to Tebow in the red zone depending on the situation could really help our TD efficiency.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The jets had the #1 redzone offense in the league last year.

16. Tonetime320

Tonetime320 Member

We also lost our vertical threat that got us to number one in the redzone. Unless Stephen Hill can be that guy we have to figure something out..hopefully it's not Tebow but we have to do what we have to do to score.

17. Bannon

Bannon New Member

The real "option" that might be most viable in the NFL is mostly pre-snap option -- spread out the defense, look at what they are doing, and bust them with a run if they spread it out and a pass over the top if they crowd the box.

It's similar to the audible concept used by many teams and no-huddles, but with a more block-scheme oriented audible system -- i.e. multiple different run variations that can be called at the line. Tebow had the ability to call different things, all of which were run variations. (It's common for many audible schemes in the NFL to have only one run play to go to out of a pass play).

The zone read is a good play -- Cam runs it well also. But it's just that -- a play. It's not an offense. And I don't think "option" in the sense of pitching the ball during the play is a very viable long term approach.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Who was our vertical threat that we lost ?

If youre referring to Plax, I might have to laugh at you quite a bit.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Exactly... so Im not sure what putting Tebow in in the redzone accomplishes...

Tebow should be used on 3rd and short, ST’s, H-back, maybe Goal line (instead of just anywhere in the redzone). If you put Tebow in with Conner, Greene/Ganaway, with Hill at WR on 3rd and 2... That could scare some defenses and help our 3rd down conversions tremendously.

20. Tonetime320

Tonetime320 Member

Listen I wasn't a huge Plax fan because of his lack of seperation but he made some plays inside the 20. I'm pretty positive he had like 7 or 8 redzone touchdowns 3 of which were in the same game...but if for nothing else the opposition would be looking at him as a threat and focusing on him even if you weren't. We now don't have a big guy to go up and grab the football unless Stephen Hill or Hayden smith pan out. I'm not too worried about it I like Stephen Hill from what I have seen.