Jets vs Pats Draft Analysis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Of course not, but that's not the point. Everybody knows that the Pats have been far more successful since 2001. The point is that doesn't mean everything the Pats do is right and "great" and "better than every other team." And there is no "Patriot way."

The bottom line is that the Pats have had some stinker drafts lately and the world wouldn't end if someone on ESPN or the NFLN said "that was a bad move" instead of "you can't question BB and the Pats." Yes you can. And if the Pats took Coples, it would have been hailed as "genius" and "a steal."

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Disregard please

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

they do seem to win an awful lot more games than the Jets do over there.

4. I agree there IS an inferiority complex among the Jet fan base. But according to this,http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12063/forbes-jets-among-top-drafting-teams

the jets are significantly better at drafting than are the patriots. Every single draft day for the past 7 years or so, medi8a experts proclaim the patriots as the winners of the draft.Meanwhile those who follow the draft closely & understand the science behind it shake their head in disbelief.

5. DepressedJet

DepressedJet Banned

I am almost 90% sure that the Pats got a better WR in the 7th round than the Jets got in the 2nd.

Jeremy Ebert was the best WR in the Big 10 for the past two years, and ran a reported 4.38 at his pro-day.

6. MURDR

MURDR Banned

Yup, OP pretty much summed it up. Now matter how much Belicheat sucks at drafting and how many horrible moves he makes, he gets applauded for it, and visa-versa for the Jets.

I trust Mike, Rex, and Woody...we have been one of the best drafting teams the last few years. In the last 5 years we've had 4 (should be 5 with Harris) Pro Bowlers, along with many good players (Sanchez, Keller, Connor, etc.).

7. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

I agree with you Joe Willie.

The reason the Pats always get accoldaes for anything they do is because no team in the NFL has won more than the Pats over the last 10 years.

It's only the media talking heads saying things like that. Personally, I don't put much stock into what they have to say.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

It's not Brady.

It's the system.

Beli was the first one to catch on to the situation that the rules brought about...He has a bunch of average players on offense, yet they thrive,where Indy had top tier talent around Manning, and played indoors..yet in 2010 NE scored 518 points (LEADING THE LEAGUE), with this crew...

Hardly a bunch of world beaters. But they've remained wedded to evolving the Offense Weis left there, and further exploited the way contact and PI is called.

Here's Brady's Long Ball stats

2010, 36 attempts to go long. About 2 a game.

The NFL today is a PASS FIRST small ball league.

Ground and Pound CAN play into that, if your passing game is Smart. That's where Schitty had it wrong. 4 second pass plays are a thing of the past, GENERALLY.

6 yards routes, 3 step drops....Most teams have one or two good corners, so a slot guy (Welker) becomes important. (think of how we lost in INDY..3rd an fourth wideouts beating our bottom end corners.)

That's the way the rules are set up, and offensive coordinators would have a better shot at longevity, if they grasped that.

Your QB stays healthy, retains a high completion percentage, your OL stays healthy, because you rely on suddenness and surprise.

I'm hoping Sparano does. He got a lot out of little talent in Miami.

#28 Hobbes3259, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  9. DepressedJet

DepressedJet Banned

The Jets are NOT a significantly better drafting team than anyone.

Tannebaum drafted Revis, Mangold, Brick, and Harris--Everyone else has disappointed.

10. Ok. Did you not the read the article? Seems like a pretty short sighted & subjective response if you did.

11. DepressedJet

DepressedJet Banned

Mark Sanchez-Considering we traded up to get him he has been a disaster

John Connor- Probably won't be on the team next year

Dustin Keller- Not a terrible pick, but nothing to brag about either

12. Hobbes3259

Totally agree...It's not a shock why the Pats are successful. (see above)

What's shocking is why no one else gets it.

And, I have to say, I nearly pissed myself, when Mayock said the bit about the NFL becoming a 'pass first league' like it was a divine revelation that occurred to him at the moment.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I read an article saying how NE's draft had some questionable picks and trades especially that safety in the second round. Draft Grade B-. Jets draft they just hated on us not getting a RT early and said Quinton Coples is a bust then said they love Hill and the picks afterwards. Draft grade D.

People in the media always give BB the benefit of the doubt like he has some secret master plan that they can't even comprehend because he's so smart and that the Jets are just kind of throwing darts at a board.

Doesn't matter much though. Hopefully Coples plays to his potential and shuts everyone up.

14. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

No way has he been good with TE's he has drafted 9 TE's in 10 years and none of them were nearly as good as Hernandez and Gronk.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

15. Graham & Ben Watson had some good success on the NFL level. I would give BB some credit for TE's for sure.

16. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Daniel Graham and Ben Watson were very good TE's for the Pats.

17. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Watson maybe he did have few decent years for Pats but Graham's best season for them is 11 receptions and for a season 35 and thats on New Orleans who throws a lot of passes.

18. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Well the Patriots WERE in the Superbowl with a bunch of scrubs on the defense. :)

This is the typical "the media loves Belichick/Brady whine" who only notice the praises and never hear the criticisms. Both Belichick and Brady get criticized plenty but you guys don't hear it.

Although I do think many draft analysts are careful in their criticism of Belichick because he has made them look stupid on enough occasions.

19. Elijah

Elijah New Member

Daniel Graham was never on New Orleans. I believe you're thinking of David Thomas, who was a third round pick.

20. Hobbes3259

Yeah, Sanchez clearly sucks. Beat both Brady, and Manning in their homes....2 AFCCG in a row.

Clearly a wasted pick. (Mind you he was only playing for an OC, that takes 10 points off of a quarterbacks QB rating...)