The More I Watch Stephen Hill

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by b.reyes16, Apr 28, 2012.

1. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Good thing he'll have Santonio as a mentor.

2. Will_Barcells

Will_Barcells New Member

I like the pick. We needed to add somebody who can stretch the field. Even with only 29 receptions last year he had over 800yrds receiving. He has a great attitude and will be willing to learn. Another plus is that he wont have Schotty confusing the hell out of him with his ridiculous playbook.

3. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I think it could turn out to be a great pick. They certainly went after the right prototype for what the O has been woefully lacking.

The most frustrating thing with watching the O last year was how they consistently allowed opposing defenses to sell out on them because they just didn't have any way to back them up. On top of that, the blocking from our WRs was a weak point with two guys being on the smaller side and one being old and slow.

I was hoping they would wait on WR until the 3rd and I initially wasn't happy about giving up the 5th and 7th, but the more I think about it the more I like this move.

4. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

Seems like there's a trend of Tim Tebow throwing to GT Alumni with the Jets selection of Stephen Hill here. Hill has great straight-line speed, strong hands and is probably the top red zone threat in the draft. He'll need some time to refine his route running, but this is a high upside player who could dominate the league in a few years. Grade: A

5. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Someone in another thread said that Hill was clocked unofficially by scouts at 4.28 at the combine.

6. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

He's 6'5" and can run 4.30? Wow. Why did he fall into the 2nd round, then? Poor hands?

7. cooterhooter

cooterhooter Banned

Great potential. A lot of Bills fans really wanted this guy. The physical talent is 1st round but he has a lot to learn coming from GT's offense. You guys may really have something in a couple years.

8. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

He played in an Option offense and didn't get many passes thrown his way. Did have some drops, but he seems to have good hands. Another thing some question is the supposedly limited route tree he ran at GT.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

He fell to the 2nd round because he has 49 catches in his career because of the triple option.

Let's look at him vs Demaryius Thomas further

Thomas: 6'3, 224, 4.4 (no official 40 time since he was hurt in pre-draft)
    Sr year: 46 rec, 1154 yds, 8 TD
    Career: 120 rec, 2339 yds, 14 TD

Hill: 6'4, 215, 4.36
    Sr Year: 28 rec, 820 yds, 5 TD
    Career: 49 rec, 1248 yds, 9 TD (plus 1 rushing TD)

Hill was a playmaker in college, but he didn't have too many receptions. Thomas was more proven, which is why he went in round 1. But Hill is taller and slightly faster. The sky is the limit for him. I doubt he reaches his vast potential, but he can be very good.

10. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Don't forget that Tevin Washington (GT QB) was hot garbage early on in the year. I don't think Hill is can't miss but for a 2nd rounder, this is a great pick. Don't be nervous or concerned about him. He is going to make a lot of big plays next season. Let's just hope Sanchez doesn't get him killed throwing his ducks...

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Based on measurables Gholston was a steal. Lets see if he can actually run a route before we compare him to Justin McCareins.

12. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

If he can learn to come out of breaks faster... I think we got a winner.. WINNING

13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

thomas' last year was his redshirt jr year, hill was a true jr ... he just turned 21 last week

and like njbeliever said, hills qbs were extremely inconsistent

hill is going to improve the run game with his speed (keeping a safety out of the box) and his blocking as well as improving our passing offense

nobody respected the deep threat in our offense last year, they will have to now ... im not expecting too much early, but if hill can have a torrey smith type impact for us next year, we should be pretty damn good

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think his role with the team will be similar to Mike Wallace in his first two years... Stretch the field let Holmes make plays underneath

Holmes has to be excited right now

15. jlee499

jlee499 Member

And don't forget Georgia Tech... which was the main point I believe, WR U.

16. jlee499

jlee499 Member

Bingo! It's hopeful expectation...

17. jlee499

jlee499 Member

Is accusing someone of being a Tebow fan the ultimate insult on this site now... and the way to discredit any comment they make?

#57 jlee499, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  18. Remarker

Remarker Banned

Haha, from the guy with "The Jets may be an abortion of a football franchise" in his signature.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

After Hill catches his first 40 yard go route, he will pull the defense away from Tone, Keller, and Greene.

Which means Sanchez will have a pass target open in around 2-2.5 seconds.

Wayne Hunter will not be required to keep Sanchez clean for 5 seconds every pass play waiting for Holmes to beat triple coverage.

20. Remarker

Remarker Banned

I see the similarities too, but a coachable, team player Moss type. Impossible? Well maybe, but why not hope for perfect?