Jets vs Pats Draft Analysis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I don't put much stock in draft grades until 2-3 years after a draft. And I really don't care about what so-called experts and pundits think about the Jets or predictions about a season or a game. But as a Jets fan, I am amazed and angered year after year at how the media just continually bows at the Patriot alter for no good reason and it is is happening again with this draft.

I am not comparing the Jets to the Pats on the field. But do they deserve all these accolades? What have they really accomplished since 2004? Yes the Pats have won a boat load of division titles over the past decade.

But let's examine why. First, they have Brady. Second, the OL has been incredible in keeping Brady's jersey clean for years. In any game he is pressured, the Pats struggle and lose or come damn close to losing.

Third, the other teams in the division have not given them much competition.

But - and this is a big but - despite all those division titles and playoff appearances and home playoff game, the Pats have not won a SB in 8 years. They are the NFL's version of the 1990s Atlanta Braves.

They have not won a title because the talent around Brady - especially on the defensive side of the ball - has deteriorated. And because they have drafted like total crap for years (except for the Gronkowski-Hernandez picks in the same year).

Yet every year the draft experts praise the Pats draft as if BB is god-like and every year their draft is either a head scratcher or has proven to be nothing special.

And that gets old for me as a Jets fan.

This year is another case in point. They draft Chandler Jones, who was on nobody's radar until the last few weeks, had an average college career, and who was considered a second round pick until two weeks ago (why he shot up the board is beyond me, but I am no expert) . Now he is drafted by the Pats and he is Deacon Jones reincarnated. Every Jets fan on this board knows that if you reversed the first round picks and the Jets took Jones at 16 and the Pats took Coples at 21, the Jets would be criticized for reaching for a pedestrian DE and the Pats would be lauded for taking the next Julius Peppers. Hightower may be a good pick, but he was drafted where he should have been drafted and we will see how he turns out.

Then the Pats royally screw up the rest of the draft by drafting an UDFA level player who was not on anybody's board in the SECOND ROUND and don't get a peep of criticism for it. Then they trade their other second round pick for awful value and again not a peep. Then they fill the rest of their draft with nondescript players.

Now the experts rate the Pats draft highly because they got "two starters" with their first two picks. Well, I should freakin' hope so, since they had two first round picks!!! Aren't first round picks supposed to be starters?????

And now the Jets take a supremely talented player in Coples and get a steal by grabbing first round value in the middle of the second round in Hill (who fills a huge need). Then they draft 6 other players, some of who appear to be high value picks (we won't know anything until these players suit up and play for 2-3 years). And the Jets draft is considered average at best and boom or bust (isn't everybody's?) and now Ryan is criticized because he stated that he expects his first two picks - who have been rated pre-draft as highly as the Pats two picks - to start? And the Pats whole draft grades out well because they drafted two players who are expected to start.

And that is the double standard the rest of the AFC East and the Jets have lived with for a decade now.

And I can't wait until it ends because it is annoying as all hell.

I don't care what the pundits and experts think of the Jets or their draft. The only thing that matters is what happens on the field. Predictions mean nothing.

But I can't stand the constant Patriot praise that goes on year after year when it is simply not earned or deserved.

The entire success of the franchise is based on the play of a QB that probably never sees the field as a Patriot if Bledsoe is not injured in 2001 and the play of the OL in giving him all the time in the world to throw, not on some wonderful philosophy or drafting acumen or system.

2. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Though I agree with the majority of this statement. The above quote is what always gets me angry the most. Ever since Spygate they have not been the same team. And for all the manlove out there for Belicheat I think at best he's an average head coach.

For all my hatred of him the Patriots would be nothing without Tom Brady just like the Colts were nothing without Peyton. I know Matt Cassell filled in nicely for a year but they had decent talent still around him that year. And Brady isn't no Peyton.

3. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

If you were watching when they picked Ebner from Ohio State, McShay and Kiper said they had him as their 150th rated safety. Not a word about how it was a bad pick or a stupid pick. Just about how he could contribute on special teams.

I'm not concerned that ESPN loves their picks though. Let them slobber all over the Pats draft for a few days, and when the picks don't pan out it's a bonus for us.

4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Belicheat could take a shit and the talking heads would gush that it was the "best shit they've ever smelled".
    Without Tom Brady Belicheat would be someones defensive coordinator.

The Pats are always cheered for how savy they are at collecting draft picks but yet nobody takes them to task for blowing them on horrible picks 90% of the time.

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Brady has stepped it up a lot since spygate. The problem is, the team around him hasn't including the coaches and FO.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Great point there no coach more over rated than Belicheck. They never mention Tom Coughlin name and he's beaten Belicheck and the golden boy twice on the biggest stage. He hasn't won anything since getting caught cheating.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The worst part is when I read Jets fans complaining that the Jets f'd up by taking Coples and not Jones. Such nonsense.

8. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

This x1000

I don't get how he constantly gets all this praise when he consistently has the worst defense in the entire league. I know he wins a lot but take out Brady (who they have by accident) and it's a 2 win team. How quickly people forget he was on the verge of being fired before Brady came along

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

But...but...but...

Belicheat is a genius. He can cut his entire secondary before the opener and still make the SB with scrubs. He can consistently win by intentionally drafting scrubs just to show how much of a genius he is. I've heard that he is also dedicating half of his genius to the Large Hadron Collider project in Switzerland to find the Biggs Hoson particle. That's how much of a genius he is.

He could also ass rape Kipers wife and that dumb fuck would just compliment his technique say its the best he's ever seen.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

:rofl2::up:

11. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I don't think everyone is applauding the Pats draft. Many "experts" think they reached for Jones, and thought they got lesser value on the 2nd round pick they traded. They also scoffed at the Safety they drafted because he wasn't on any of the "experts" draft boards.

I think the OP's diatribe is just that inferiority complex, the world is against us mindset of some Jets fans.

IF the Pats get better reviews sometimes...

While the Pats and Jets both have hit and missed on many picks the last bunch of years, the Pats track record is just better.

The Pats lead the NFL with 15 All Pro's drafted over the last decade. The Ravens 13. That's why these teams get the benefit of the doubt. The Jets have drafted 8.

As a Pats fan, I think Mike Reiss take on it is right on.

I thought the early-round picks of the Patriots and Jets highlighted the significant differences between the teams. Viewing things from a Patriots perspective, I don’t think they were touching defensive end/linebacker Quinton Coples (1st round) and Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill (2nd round). That’s part of what makes the rivalry great; the teams do it their own ways and have conviction with it.

12. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Don't know how you explain giving the Packers your 2nd rounder, dropping 30 slots, and only picking up a 5th.

Anyone else besides BB would have been reemed for that.

Thompson certainly has been getting the better of BB.

13. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

The Pat's always get the benefit of the doubt. Mayock played for BB, Lombardi was in the front office with him. Berman always make excuses. BB hit it big with Gronkowski, Mankins amd Wilfork. The big difference between the Jets is at QB. If Sanchez steps up, there is no reason the Jet's can't catch them.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Their drafts are always going to look better when they have a QB that can lead the team to 11+ wins consistently. There is no reason to focus on missed draft picks when the team in running smoothly. The Pats draft shows me Bill was very annoyed about his lack of a defense this year. They were counting on McCourty to be a stud and that downward turn last year threw a wrench into their plans

15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Considering the Pats have usually 3 more picks than the Jets each year (mostly in high rounds) this doesn't surprise me. I think Belicheck hits it big with the UDFAs and guys that have under performed on other teams. He is really good at getting the most out of guys like Woodhead, Welker, Law Firm, etc on offense, but after losing vets like Vrabel and Bruski, the D has never been the same. Trading away Seymour was stupid too.

16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Belichik has had great success in draft O-Line, D-Line, QB, and TE over the years. When it comes to CB's and WR's, and RB's his record is not good at all.

I think you are right about the UDFA's. They think they had more of these on the team last year than low round picks.

#16 CJLang, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  17. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

The media slobbering Belichump's knob: not news.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

I thought this was gonna be an analysis of how we match up against the pats now that the draft is over haha...

19. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

The sole purpose of the draft is to build a football team to consistently win on the field. Over the last 10 years, there is not one team in the NFL who has done a better job than the Patriots.

They consistently win the AFCE and are always the AFC's prohibitive favorite to get to the Super Bowl. Things will be no different this year.

I find it amusing that Jets fans can say "the Patriots haven't done $hit since 2004" all they while Jets fans shoot their load about losing 2 AFCCG's.

Let me ask you this, is there any Jet fan out there who would trade the Pats last 10 years for the Jets last 10 years?

20. Professor Frink

Inferiority complex at it's finest. The Patriots get criticized, but since you don't follow them as closely you don't see as much of it. Do they get criticized as much as the Jets? No, because they win more. It's pretty simple.

I have to laugh at the people in this thread calling Belichick overrated. They are one of the best teams in the league. Every. Single. Year. If the Jets ever had a coach who was anywhere near as successful as him you guys would be worshiping him.

Belichick is one of the greatest ever. Get over it.