Team speed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Last year, we were probably the slowest team in football. Our playmakers on offense at runningback and receiver were not fast, other than Holmes and Keller. Defensively, our front seven may have been the slowest in the NFL.

Now, we have Coples who adds a lot more athleticism to the DE position. Devito was slow and on pass downs, he offered nothing in getting after the QB. Coples will, and he can also set the edge and get to the sideline to prevent backs from geting outside.

Demario Davis adds a LOT more speed to the defense. Harris isn't fast, Scott is slow, Thomas and Pace aren't fast. Davis infuses some seriously needed fresh blood to the linebacking corps. I would have preferred an OLB, but on 3rd downs, Davis can rush from the inside and Maybin can rush from the outside. I could also see Rex shifting him outside on occasion, obviously not too often due to his lack of size, but just to send him after the QB at different angles.

Now, we just need a safety with some speed and coverage ability, and we'll have added speed on all three levels.

Offensively, we made the fewest big plays in the NFL last year. Stephen Hill is a big play waiting to happen, and if we hit on some big plays with him, it will force teams to respect him, and teams can't roll coverage to Hill, IKeller and Holmes on the same play. Plus, it should open up the running game, similar to how Braylon did when he got here.

His size, speed and hands alone should allow him to make an instant impact. When was the last time the Jets had a truly explosive offense? Hill gives us a potential explosive playmaker.

Some people complained because the last couple drafts didn't include guys who you could project to be stars. Well, here we have 2 guys that could easily be Pro Bowlers. They could bust out, too, but I don't think either one is so bad that they would be completely useless like Gholston was. At worst, Hill can be an on occasion deep threat and Coples should be a decent run stopper.

Now we just need another safety so we don't have to see Eric Smith chasing players all the way down the field anymore.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Every aspect of this team is competent or better other than RT and S. Two question marks battling for a very important position.

I think grabbing a linebacker that can hang with the TE in coverage is extremely smart, covering the TE is why we needed to upgrade Safety.

#2 Jake, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  3. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

Nicely said about Hill. What if we have another Wesley Walker on our hands?

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

You know, with his size and speed he's kind of a mix between a safety and a LB. His pro day 40 was actually better than Barron's according to nfldraftscout.com, they didn't list Barron's combine time so I didn't compare off of Davis's combine time. a little work on his coverage skills and who knows, a good hybrid solution to the TE coverage issue?

5. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

I don't have a good sense of Davis's coverage skills, but he certainly has the size/speed to play the hybrid S/LB position. Given Rex's penchant for defensive creativity and how Coples/Davis have rare size/speed, I can see some crazy defenses in the future. Consider a cover-1 look, but wait! Davis is actually the SS on the play. It looks like a typical 4-3, but it's actually nickel or even dime. There are going to be some very interesting pass rushes up the middle, which is something I've been wanting to see more of (overloads are getting too obvious at this point).

6. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

He's a LB that can cover.

Bart Scott started out as in undersized LB

8. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Mack,

Thanks for adding a reasonable voice to the conversation. I couldn't agree more, and I initially hated the Davis pick because I was concerned about his size and the value. The more I read about Davis, the more I realize what a big void he can fill for our defense.

Rex places a premium on versatility, and in this draft it seems, speed. Davis and Coples bring both to our front seven. I could see either of them lining up in multiple places, I could see Coples standing up on occasion. I'm excited about the possibilities. I think Davis could be the sideline to sideline guy we need.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the draft. That's what it's about. We have no idea what either of these guys will do. It's silly to jump to conclusions. We can only be happy that none of them are obvious turds and that they all appear to be upper echelon athletes on a team that desperately lacked those.

-X-

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Everything I read about Davis lists him as an OLB.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Safety is definitely better with Landry.

11. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

That is when he's not injured.

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Good post. I'm a little worried about Coples but if there is any coach who can get him playing it's Rex.

Stephen Hill is going to be a complete monster and I know it. He's huge (6'4 215) and he ran a 4.36 40. He can run block too.

13. SeattleJet

SeattleJet Active Member

In 4-3, he is OLB, but in 3-4, he will probably be ILB.

14. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

I just had the chance to watch the Coples presser and I would urge all of you to watch it again. Here is why, the only time the kid really lights up is when he begins to talk about Rex.

I think he and Rex hit it off very well and I have a feeling Rex really made a solid impression on "Q" and that this kid is going to work his ass off for his new coach. While he is just one part of this defense that Rex is putting together, I think the whole has a chance to be very scary! I also have a feeling in two years many who questioned this pick, may be saying the Jets got the steal of the draft.

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Boy oh boy do I agree with you....Tanny deserves major kudos....Not only have we filled some major holes, but we've filled them with size and SPEED. Tremendous job by the Jets thus far.

For the remainder of the draft I believe we will see safety, OL, RB drafted for sure....

Jets will make some post draft cap clearing moves and will fill team holes that remain.

All in all, I've got to say I am absolutely thrilled with this draft.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This team is getting younger and faster on defense and that has me licking my chops with excitement!

17. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

I like the huge improvements in team speed this season. Plus Scott lost some weight if he isn't traded. And Sporano wants everyone in shape and ready to work, pretty sure he told em to lose some weight because he wants an athletic line.

I like our defense much better this year.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

never mind.....

#18 Don, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  19. Jets3399

Jets3399 Member

Excellent post! Agree with everything you said. Very excited with this draft class.

20. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

I really siked about Hill & Coples. They are gonna be the guys we've been looking for for a long time.