Rate the Coples Pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 27, 2012.

?

How do you rate the Coples pick?

Poll closed May 11, 2012.
  1. Great pick! This guy is going to be a star!

15.5%
  2. Good pick, the Jets got good value at #16.

58.0%
  3. Middle of the road, could have done better but also could have done worse.

18.0%
  4. Not a good pick! What were they thinking?

5.0%
  5. Terrible Pick! This guy is going to be a bust!

3.5%
  1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Go on record now as to your initial opinion. Obviously we won't know for a few years, but I'd like to see everyone's initial opinion.

2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Bad

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

3. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I would have went with Mercilus, but I don't mind the pick. I would have been cool if we got Melvin Ingram but I wasn't distraught. And I damn sure would have been disappointed if we went with Decastro. It's not even to knock Decastro. I think he could end up being a probowler. I just am tired of us not having a pass rusher every year despite defense being our calling.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You guys KNOW how much I've been harping on the lack of production out of the DL - so you guys also know there is a happy camper in me here. I would have liked a pass rushing OLB, but a top-tier 3-4 end to start across Wilk is not something I would be disappointed in. If Ellis can grow into double-team eating DL, then the DL would be set for years. Now... if Jets can snag a pass rushing OLB or two...

P.S. I also like the fact that Jets are not CONVERTING a DE into OLB in this situation. THAT IS AN ABSOLUTE YES! YES! I MEAN THAT!!!

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Good pick. He seems to have everything. If Rex can get him angry enough then we'll have a great DE on our hands.

6. SKIBA-JONES

SKIBA-JONES New Member

Didnt see him play much but from what ive seen he can be a star. I hope it works out i think it was a good pick

7. Chrebet Fo' Ever

Good pick, Top 10 talent in at the 16th. Coples has also played some 3-4 end before (said so in interviews) so he should be able to slot right in.

The character issues are a concern (they should be to any Jets fan after the Ghost affair) but UNC was in such a mess I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. They switched his position and he's had 2 HCs and FOUR different position coaches. The more I think about the more I like the pick. Plus, considering the talent left on the board, we should almost NO difficulty getting a starting caliber OLB/S/WR/OL depending on which we deem best when we pick (an NFL.com mock had us getting Upshaw at 47!!! - Pipe dream imo but fun!)

Good for Tanny and the Jets to stick to their guns and go BPA

#7 Chrebet Fo' Ever, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  8. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I think the Jets have brought in the pass-rusher they've needed for a few years now. If the offense can get its shit together, the defense should be much improved with Coples ability to rush the passer.

9. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

After Trich who I considered completely unrealistic, he was #1 on my wish list for Santa

Im a little uneasy about how we plan on using him, but I have the uttmost belief in Rex

10. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Was hoping for Decastro since our Oline blew chunks last year. However, with the turmoil he experienced in his senior year we may have a monster on our hands if he pans out. Think about it, sans Devito we have decent speed on the outside of our dline. For round two let's inhale the Fat Receiver who catches everything around him - Alshon Jeffrey~!!!!

11. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I think we got very good value at #16 with Coples. I never thought he would still be on the board at that point, so TBH I never even considered him for our draft.

Now that he's here, I think we got arguably the best DE on the board, and didn't have to trade up to get him.

12. MondayNightMiracles

anyone feel like finding a similar right after draft gholston poll thread to see how wrong our opinions are??

13. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

How do you guys compare him to Wilk? With us taking Wilk in the later portion of the 1st is Couples value really that good at 16?

14. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm with you 100% here - I thought he would be gone way before 16 and therefore never even considered him.

Now if we can just get a RT in the next two rounds!
    :beer:

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If Wilk is honest enough to say Coples is better than him then I'd say a pick at #16 is right on the money.

16. BobLivius

BobLivius New Member

It's a good pick that should work well. He was the BPA on their board and they executed. Well done.

17. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I think you can play them at the same time, kinda like the Giants with their 4 DE front on certain downs. Theoretically, putting someone like Coples up front should make Maybin a bit more effective blitzing from OLB.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Not only the fact hat he can pass rush, block passes and hold his ground, but also the ability to stop the run - this guy can do it all so I feel he has star quality potential. Very good value for the 16th pick. I like the way our DL is shaping up.

19. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Has all the tools to be a star in this league

just has to stay motivated

20. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Good pick. Rex has a plan, and I trust him.