Tebow's Roles

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 24, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We know the Jets plan on using him in the jesuscat, and probably in some spread formations. Here's a couple more roles:

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Close
    Jets have told quarterback Tim Tebow that they plan to use him on special teams as the punt protector.

I hope he can learn to be an effective TE too. That would make him much more valuable to our offense.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

When he was coming out of College I thought it would be best if he played the H-Back type role. Someone who could play FB/RB & TE. I hope that's the plan, because I really don't want him taking many snaps from center.

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Tebow's roles:

- QB
    - HB
    - Punt protector
    - Gay icon

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

If he lines up as a punt protector, won't teams be trying to drill him once the punt is off since he won't be covered by the QB rules? If he can take the hits, then sure, but I feel this will be something to watch for the first couple games the Jets do it.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He probably takes worse hits as a QB/RB, but this will subject him to more quantity.

6. displacedfan

Yeah, because I could see him putting a decent block and jogging downfield after the punt and someone on punt coverage coming over and just laying him out with a "block". Some of the guys do it punters, and usually it is out of the play so the refs don't notice. It probably is just unnecessary worries by me.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We will probably see a fake or two with this look. If nothing else it will keep the opponent honest with a guy like Tebow back there.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Tebow is a big guy. If people want to try that on him they may end up being the ones on their asses.

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'll tell you what, if the Tebow goes down and lights up a punt returner he would probably endear himself to a lot of Jets fans who really dislike the fact that he's on the team.

10. packersfan

packersfan New Member

That would be awesome! A quarterback/halfback/fullback/tight end/blocker/special teams ace. I love it.

11. displacedfan

Haha that would be great. I'm sure all Jets fans appreciate Tebow as a football player but are hesitant on Tebow as a QB.

Good to see the Jets are really thinking about the best ways to incorporate Tebow.

12. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

They were talking about his special teams role on ESPN earlier, and it was funny because the ESPN in-studio reporter (can't remember his name) said that he'd fill in as punt protector before letting out a very sarcastic "Really?? They can't have someone else protect punts?" Then Bill Polian, seated next to him, gave a detailed explanation about how this was a great move due to the versatility it allows.

13. tzinc

tzinc New Member

This is crazy most injuries occur on ST you don't have your back up QB playing ST. What if Sanchez gets hurt. Jets will be laughing stock of NFL.

14. displacedfan

Don't worry, the media will always make sure of this. What they are doing is utilizing Tebow's potential to the max. He isn't a gunner and currently not on the kickoff team. If Sanchez were to go down, the Jets would be like most of the league and struggle since their starting QB is injured.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Do you have any data to backup your claim that most injuries occur on ST? I've never seen it broken down.

16. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He will have the advantage in most of those hits.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

As Polian pointed out, Joe Theisman played on STs his entire career..I don't remember much laughing then. And he wasn't the backup.

19. XX2

XX2 New Member

There's something absolutely brilliant about playing a QB and P together on coverage teams. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict 3 or 4 punt returns for TDs vs the Jets this season.

#19 XX2, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  20. displacedfan

That's a strange prediction. Rarely if ever do teams get off a good punt return vs the Jets that the punter or last man back is required to make a tackle.

According to http://www.jetsinsider.com/punt_returns.php the Jets havent given up a punt return TD in 4 years.

#20 displacedfan, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012