Why Yes, I would Trade Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Sell High--Move Revis Now

I see in the papers this morning that our "allworld" DB is stirring the pot again with veiled threats to hold out this August. Assuming it's true, I would trade this ingrate to somebody in the NFC now for a ProBowl pass-rusher and/or #1 pick.

Revis is a great cornerback (the best CB in the league) but his impact on our defense is overrated. Yes, he takes away the other team's best receiver, and yet the Jets still can't stop Peyton Manning or Roethlisberger with the Super Bowl on the line. That's not necessarily his fault --there's still 10 other guys on the field--but it underlines how much less significant a great CB is than, say, a great pass-rusher who can take over a game.

If the Jets really believe Revis may hold out again, than this guy is not a team player, not a team leader, and really is not going to help them get to the Super Bowl, and it's time to trade this blue chip for players who can really make this a dominant defense.

He's at his prime now, and his value will never be higher. In fact, we may have seen the first tiny cracks in his armor last year versus Buffalo.

There's a little too much 'Tone in Revis and I don't believe he's going to lead the team to a SB.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

We all love Revis---that said I have to agree with you :sad:
    Hold some team hostage right now and get a boat load for him.....

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Wow, this is truly earth-shattering. Perhaps, if you took a moment to read the other threads, you'd see $17 million dollars in reasons why we can't trade him this season.

There is however, something to be said for consistency.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Agree but we don't currently have that pass rush the Giants have or the QB the Pats have.

I don't think the Giants secondary is bad either. It is average, maybe above average.

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

there is already a thread on this...

and also...

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/reviscontract12.php

Revis is going nowhere. So re-fucking-lax people.

6. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

he is not getting traded,but lets have some fun with this.
    what would you expect to get in a trade.
    my first thought was to detroit for avril a 2nd and 2-3rds.of course this is based on nothing so.......

8. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Big Blocker -

Responding to both of your good posts here in this reply.

I understand what you are saying and agree to an extent...

-Yes CBs that can play man-to-man allow the defense to do other things with the safety such as shift coverage or send another blitzer at the QB.
    -Yes CBs provide run support (unless you are Deion Sanders or Cro!!!).

There are no perfect metrics to study the impact of a player. However the purpose of the shutdown corner Rex's defense is to shutdown the opposing O's #1 receiver.

Can Revis accomplish that task? Absolutely he does it perfectly. What is the value of that ability and how do you measure it? Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The problem as I see it - and reasonable people can differ - is measuring appropriately the impact. If you #1 CB is covering the #1 WR, you are basically working on average to address the issue of 6.2 receptions per game. Revis can't cover multiple WRs on the field
    and his value can only be measured compared to threat he is there to neutralize.

So in essense we need to value the threat Revis needs to neutralize. I am not saying that Revis isn't on the field for all the defensive plays nor that he doesn't contribute elsewhere on the field. But the bottom line is that he is there to take out the Megatrons and Larry Fitzgeralds of the NFL world. Based upon that standard you are looking at the WRs hitting that 100 reception mark which equates to the 6.2 receptions per game measure.

Again is that perfect - nope it isn't - BUT the standard of the shutdown corner is to take out that #1 receiver.

I agree that CBs are out their to outright prevent receptions or mitigate their damage. And yes we can factor in Revis' DPR into the equation. However at the end of the day, Revis' impact is in neutralizing that one-on-one match-up. The force multiplier effect from Revis' production simply doesn't translate to the rest of the players on the team.

Revis doesn't make Eric Smith or Jim Leonhard better in the secondary by his play - no matter how well he does his job they still stink. Revis doesn't make an non-existent pass rush better - sure there are coverage sacks but that is based upon the overall performance of the defensive secondary not a result of solely Revis' coverage on his mark.

In an era when you routinely have 4 to 5 players running a pattern, the shutdown CB value is diminished. Deion Sanders' impact (I am not suggesting his performance) on the game was far greater because of the era he played. Spread offenses have neutralized CB play to the point that Revis is simply not worth the money based upon the production returns.

Essentially the Jets are paying Revis $12 million for the opposing QB to not throw at his man. That doesn't help the rest of the team in defending the other 3 or 4 players in the pattern as much as paying a DE/OLB $12 million to rush the QB. If it did, the Jets would certainly have a much more effective defense.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why is no one surprised that Tannenshit created yet another total bullshit contract where all of the power is inh the hands of the player..he is just fucking awesome. So let me get this right..the Jets can't trade him but he can hold out and the only possible thing the Jets can do is pay him more, right?

10. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Amazed at how many people want to trade him. I agree that a great pass rusher has more effect on a defense than a CB can but we don't have a great pass rusher and no one is trading one unless they are on the back end of their career for Revis. So then what trade him, a hall of famer in his prime, for what two first rounders or a 1st and a second? You try and draft a pass rusher with those picks and you better hit otherwise the league will be lighting up our secondary.

To me the only thing I trade Revis for is a franchise QB.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Sound about right.

12. tzinc

tzinc New Member

He will become too expensive and he's becoming a real complainer - I hate the selfishness. Trade him for a draft load of picks and a decent CB.

13. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

If the Jets are smart they sign Chris Johnson before they lose leverage. If Revis holds out, the contract extends through 2016, otherwise, it's voided after 2013.

If I'm Tannenbaum, I'm asking him what's worse, getting underpaid for the next two years or sitting out the next 5.

14. Don

It only extends if he doesn't show up for OTAs or camp. Nothing happens if he holds out during the regular season..(in reality it doesn't really extend but if he does show up the last three years are cancelled)...nothing except the Jets don't have a CB and if they go get one and he comes back in then they are over the cap...brilliant Tannenbaum typical bullshit.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

+1

Brilliant description of what the issue is.

16. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

the problem with that is, what team is willing to give high draft choices and then sign a guy for mega $$$ to a position that isn't as important to the position he plays.

he basically effects one side of the field, where a pass rusher effects all the field and game for that matter.

17. XX2

XX2 New Member

I agree. You get a much better return from investing in your pass rush than in your DBs. If you can make the opposing QB uncomfortable in the pocket, your chances of winning increase significantly.

18. Don

Yeah and the problem is nobody has enough money to pay for both. We are paying our corners 24 million a year and that is why we have nothing left to pay a rusher. I would guess the Giants do just the opposite.

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

Very nice job here. Completely agree.

Revis can only do so much due to his position. He wont make anybody else on the defense better (may actually hinder them because the focus will be greater on them, which even further gives teams a reason for picking on the weakest link, the safeties). A safety, LB or even an Elite DLman can impact a game every play simply because of his position. They actually CAN make the players around them better.

And now hearing that he might actually hold out again... is sickening because of this fact. Revis is a great player, no doubt about it, but paying a CB 15 mil a year is not a way to build an elite defense.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Why do you constantly ignore that the Jets had the fifth best D in the league???

The Pats are better than the Jets for one reason and one reason alone - their Qb is ten times better.