Tebow draft day bait?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Jetfan76, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Last I checked, Elway, Montana, Namath and Favre weren't starting QBs for NFL teams last year, were they ? All the QBs that I listed were.

2. Demosthenes9

Go back and look at the post I was responding to. I wasn't claiming that Tebow was "better" than those other QBs. I was making the point that he played "on a high level" and won a playoff game.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Really? Were they?

Sorry I havent watched a football game in 25 years I was just merely pointing out the ridiculous analogy you made.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Yes, I've met a few that were ready to quit being a Jets fan over the move.

He's a better backup QB than we had, plus we'll see him and Mark on the field at the same time for many plays and it will make the defense adjust and have to prepare for many possibilities. There's no way the move makes us worse. It'll be much better than the circus we saw last year with Schotty running the same plays over and over despite the fact that they don't work. It'll be much more diverse. We'll see Tebow at HB, FB, RB and possibly even TE this year. I don't see this extra option in our offense as detrimental at all. It only makes us worse when you look at the media, but in terms of actual football you gotta be crazy to say it doesn't make us better, even if only slightly. I'm not the biggest wildcat fan, but I see what they're trying to do. Confuse the defense. Our offense lacked that ability completely last year.

#64 Barcs, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  5. Demosthenes9

That you apparently don't understand the point doesn't make the analogy ridiculous.

Just an FYI for ya.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What reason can they possibly use to be so opposed to a backup qb? Were they like that when the Jets signed Brunell too? One more example of people trying to use this trade as a coverup to some other agenda they may carry with them.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Football is a team sport.

Learn the game if you want to be taken seriously.

8. BrowningNagle

You should work in marketing.

9. Big Blocker

You choose to ignore the point, but it is still there.

Bringing in Tebow does not help the Jets assess Sanchez's viability as the Jet Qb going forward. It complicates the assessment, since the O not only has to learn a new offense with Sparano, they have to bring in plays for Tebow.

If Tebow were a true backup, it would be different. They'd be using essentially the same O for Sanchez and his backup.

Instead they will be learning new plays for Tebow. That does not help Sanchez.

Add in that Sparano is a first time OC.

It's quite straightforward, actually. The criticism of the move, i mean.

10. Don

That's no point at all. Tebow is here to improve the running game, that is the only point. Sanchez is a big boy (I know he is from southern California, but still). If this scares him he doesn't belong in NY to begin with. He already failed miserably last year. A number of his teammates said he is lazy, let him use this to motivate him.

11. Demosthenes9

Kind of figured that one out 30+ years ago, back when I played the game :)

You seriously don't give Tebow any credit for that win over the Steelers ??

12. BrowningNagle

Good post - Exactly how I feel.

Bringing in Tim Tebow can have zero effect on Mark Sanchez if Mark Sanchez or on a lesser level Rex Ryan make it so.

It would be like the equivalent of bringing in Brad Smith or Ronnie Brown or something... Sure they put in special plays for them but does that really hurt the starting QB?

I think I've been here long enough to warrant the fact that I'm not a Teblower, but I also don't feel bad for Mark Sanchez at all - why should I? He's still the starting QB of the NYJ and he's got a little bit of competition that he could essentially blow out of the water starting week 1. And I hope he does.

If Sanchez plays great than they will likely not want to take the ball out of his hands and Tebow will see the field less and less. The fans (teboys or not) don't run the team Rex Ryan does and this will be a no-brainer.

Tebow is a backup QB/RB.. and he's pretty good at it - I don't hate the addition, just his fanboys.

13. packersfan

packersfan New Member

Exactly! How come more Jets fans can't see this?

14. packersfan

packersfan New Member

I understand your point of view, but it sure as hell helps them assess him as a leader.

15. packersfan

packersfan New Member

Don't hate all his fanboys. We aren't all bandwagon fans. I don't give a shit if Tebow himself gave me season tickets to the Jets screw that I have been a Packers fan my whole life and nothing can change that.

16. Big Blocker

You don't like the point, but it certainly is a point.

You implicitly feel the team has unlimited amounts of time, energy and attention to bring in a new O and one inherently more complicated than if it did not include Tebow.

That is ridiculous and not based on the real world.

I also am very much NOT a Sanchez Fan, but his problems imo had more to do with not reading defenses than with lack of effort. The "coddling" stuff had to do not with lack of effort but that the Jets were not holding Sanchez accountable for the errors on the O.

There is in any event no evidence that making Sanchez more scared is a useful and effective tactic.

You completely ignore the chain of events. Why did they extend his contract and add another guaranteed year if they were trying to scare him? THat makes no sense at all. They got Tebow for the marketing effect.

If they were primarily about scaring Sanchez, then how come in the same paragraph you claim that you also say "Tebow is here to improve the running game, that is the only point"? That makes even less sense.

Your post is filled with illogic. No wonder you are making friends here with the Tebots.

17. Big Blocker

They take Sanchez out, or put him on the sidelines as a phony wr, and give the ball to Tebow. How does that help them assess whether Sanchez should be their Qb going forward?

18. Don

Actually yours is and it starts with not realizing they are obviously bringing in an entire new offense the day they fired Schitty and hired Sparano, did you miss that?

19. Don

Actually yours is and it starts with not realizing they are obviously decided to bring in an entire new offense the day they fired Schitty and hired Sparano, did you miss that?

They wern't about scaring Tebow but you seem to think they were. He is a backup..only a backup..he runs like a 240 pound FB..what are you so worried about?

20. BrowningNagle

That's silly saying that, because that helps them assess Tim Tebow, not Mark Sanchez.
    What helps them assess Mark Sanchez is how he reacts when he gets back under center. Both players will be assessed properly this is the NFL.

Was the Jets assessment of Mark Sanchez damaged by Brad Smith? Hell no, and both him and Tim Tebow were successful college QBs the Jets acquired with a 4th round pick. Smith left and it hurt the Jets a little, especially on 3rd downs, so they replaced him with a similar, maybe better player with Tim Tebow. - How is this a bad thing?