Mort just said, if there's a team to move up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by gsulli5861, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

It's the Jets. I don't mind trading up but in this draft I would be only looking to go to 11, 12 or 13. I don't think they can get qall the way up for TRich.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sounds like incarcerated bob news. Of course the jets are one of the most likely teams to trade up

3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I'd rather everyone be saying it now than saying it on Thursday. Hopefully it's all smokescreens, the more chatter about moving up, then less focus on the guys that we're actually considering in the 16 area.

4. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Thx for the newsflash Mort, for who? Ingram, one of the OTs, Barron???

5. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

He mentioned Ingram specifically

6. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

It would have to be to get Barron/Ingram. I think they would be thrilled with either.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Safeties in the top 10 are a bad bet. Just look at the teams that have drafted them and what happened afterwards. Ingram is plausible but the Jets need to move up to 7 to be sure of him and probably 9 after that. The value they'd need to give up to go from 16 to 9 is more than their 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks.

8. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

Its a weak draft... I wouldn't mind trading up to get a higher quality guy this year.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

That's Mort making an estimated guess. The Jets are known to trade up, have done it recently, and have comp picks to replace any 5/6/7 they wanna trade.

10. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I was high on Ingram early, but have a few concerns now. They probably want to get ahead of Dallas for Barron. I couldn't see Ingram fitting any D as well as he would Rex's though. I don't think he is worth it for Jacksonville.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I could see the Jets moving ahead of Dallas to get Barron. Outside Barron the only other player I could see them moving up for is Richardson. To get in the top 10 for Ingram would be quite expensive for player with as many flaws as Ingram. I could see them being really tempted by Richardson. While Richardson is arguably the best player in the draft and the only player worth trading up for it would ridiculously expensive. But without a NFL caliber QB on the Jets roster there is no better upgrade than Richardson. But after such a trade up then we likely do not get to draft again until the 5th round and we have not met any of our needs at OLB, FS, or OL depth.

12. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i only want to trade up for trent richardson as I see him being a dominant back for years to come and a franchise face. i'd only want to trade up though if he fell a decent amount and the price is right. I'd then wish for them to draft an OT or OG as soon as they could because this could result in easily the best rushing offense in the league and set up amazing play action (which is mark sanchez's strong point).

I just don't see the point in trading for barron at all. it seems pretty obvious that his coverage skills aren't that great, he's just awesome in the box. We just signed LaRon Landry and thats what he's good at, box presence (I know he is injury prone, but I have confidence he'll make it through the season.) I think it would be better if we signed Harrison Smith as it seems like he can cover up the middle.

As for Melvin Ingram, if he fell to us I'd be happy, but I don't want to trade up for him. I think he has potential to thrive in Rex's scheme, but his short arms and body just make me nervous

13. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Trade up for Cox, Kalil, Reiff would make sense. Otherwise please don't trade up. Richardson's good, but runningbacks are a dime a dozen. Build the o-line and d-line, which in effect, makes the skill players a lot better.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the dl is set.i can't see them spending a another first round pick on it when they just spent a 1st and a 3rd last year and resigned pouha.

15. Br4d

I kind of see it this way also. 3-4 D's don't play a bunch of high draft picks on the line. The Patriots did do this for a few years but the only guy left from that bunch is Wilfork because it's really hard to pay your 3-4 linemen like stars when the true stars in the scheme are supposed to be the LB's.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

And partly as a result, their defense has taken a major step back in recent years.

There are a lot of ways to make a top defense. The Jets have a very good defense right now without a true pass rusher and no playmaking safeties.

However, I don't think the Jets will take another DL in round 1. It wouldn't completely shock me, but we already have a solid, young rotation on the DL and we have bigger needs to go after.

17. The GM

The GM New Member

It will depend. Even though T-Rich is arguably the best non-QB in the draft, RBs are tough to take in the Top 10 vs. a CB, OT, pass rusher, or WR. The Browns are probably going to take him but if he gets the Browns and Bucs he could really start to slide. If say the Browns go with Justin Blackmon and the Bucs go with Morris Claiborne, then the next likely destination for T-Rich is St. Louis at 6. We could either trade with St. Louis, or it's possible that the Rams would go with sky rocketing CB Stephon Gilmore, DT Fletcher Cox, WR Michael Floyd.

If T-Rich gets past the Rams, he would likely get to the Jets at #16. The teams from #7-#15 are all set at RB and have other pressing needs. I'd hate Miami if they traded down with a team wanting Ingram thinking that they can get Tannehill in the middle of the 1st (the Bengals).

I think our biggest trade up competition in the event of a T-Rich free fall is the Cincy Bengals. They have two 1sts and two 2nds and could offer a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to move up to the #8 spot to get T-Rich. In my mind, if I'm GM in Cincy I'm pulling the trigger on that in a heart beat -- they could even do this trade with the Rams all the way up at #6. With another 1st and 2nd to use, they could get WR Floyd with the other 1st. That offense would QB Andy Dalton, WRs AJ Green and Michael Floyd, RB Trent Richardson, and TE Jermaine Gresham. Yeah...

18. Br4d

I think the primary reason the Patriots defense has become soft has more to do with a lack of talent in the linebackers. Yeah they really miss Richard Seymour in his prime but he was never a big sacker, he was more a glue guy who was a great two-way player and a peg on that line.

Look at the linebackers though. They used to have Willie McGinest, Mike Vrabel, Teddy Bruschi, Rosevelt Colvin, Adalius Thomas, a lot of two-way players in that group and a fair amount of pressure on the QB when they needed it. In 2009 they had Tully Banta-Cain. Right now the Patriots have about the least impactful group of LB's in th NFL. They'd almost be better off going to a 4-3 full-time because they have so much work left to do to flesh out the LB corps.

They're also missing Rodney Harrison. That difference can't be over-stated. If you have a great SS it makes a huge difference in any defense.

19. The GM

The GM New Member

Certainly isn't the ILB duo in New England causing softness -- Jerod Mayo is one of the best in the game and Brandon Spikes is as tough and hard hitting as they come. The OLBs are where they suck as they can't generate pressure and teams can run stretch plays on them with consistent success. If the Patriots draft two OLBs in the 1st round, say Courtney Upshaw and Whitney Mercilus, and they both pan out -- they'd have one of the best LB groups in the league. I think you'll definitely see them taking Upshaw if/when he slides, the other 1st rounder will come down to who's on the board.

20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I'm confused because earlier in the thread you devalued Safeties, and here you're emphasizing their importance. Which is it?