Woody: If Tebow succeeds, I'll take "full accountability"

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by VanderbiltJets, Apr 10, 2012.

1. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

2. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Good to see an owner step up like that. :wink:

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just read that article and I wonder, If the Tebow experiment blows up, then will Woody take the blame too or will he insist more time be given. That man can't possibly be more annoying to have as an owner. I'm not sure who's worse. Him or that asshole Wilpon.

Somehow, I just knew it was Woody behind this deal and although he's swearing up and down that it had everything to do with football, it just somehow rings hollow. Too bad Woody ain't sellin the team anytime soon. Maybe one day he'll just move the franchise to LA and we can start over with a new team, new ownership.

Anything is better than the embarrassing circus this franchise has become under his stewardship record be damned.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he was clearly having fun w/ the question. he wasn't seriosu saying he'll take the credit if it works out. You guys always look for a reason to bash the man that has given us the best stretch of sustained success in the teams history. Does anyone remember what it was like w/ Leon hess as the owner?

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

At least Leon Hess let the football people make the football decisions.

6. nyjunc

he just hired the wrong people to make those decisions.

I have no problems w/ Woody, this team has been one of the best teams in the AFC since he bought the team and I don't think it is a coincidence. he has brought stability at the top and he has hired good people to run the franchise. We can nitpick over certain things but overall how any jet fan cannot be happy w/ Woody is beyond me.

Leon hess gave Steve Gutman power, that's all we need to know about him. My only problem w/ Woody is he gouges the fans as far as tickets go which leon never did but i'd rather pay more and win than pay less and lose.

7. VanderbiltJets

EXACTLY. It's pathetic.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I think the Tebow move was his choice, I think he told Tanny and Rex if it fails they wont be held accountable for it. Thats what I feel...

9. catsigater

catsigater New Member

Just watched it. The statement in question was completely tongue-in-cheek.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Here we go again..if what fails? If he sits on the wrong seat on the bench? If he doesn't sit on the bench at all but stands? If what exactly fails? How to backups fail? Half the backups are backups because they have already failed and nobody bothers to even have expectations for backups so there is no chance for failure.

#10 Don, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  11. VanderbiltJets

I'm frustrated by the fact that Woody's willing to go tongue-in-cheek about the Tebow trade but, if the trade were to somehow ruin the Jets' season, Woody won't be so tongue-in-cheek about Rex's job security.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Woody is awful.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, that's really true. A few years ago I thought the opposite but he has become nothing more than a cheap carny shill.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

There's no doubt Hess didn't hire the right people (until Parcells). That's not what I was saying though. Woody gets too involved in the football operations and for the wrong reasons. He cares more about headlines and ticket sales than actually winning a championship. This is coming from someone who was a strong Woody supporter. But this move was wrong in so many ways that it's turned me against him and mostly against Tannenbaum. If Tanny makes dumb moves in this draft I will lose my patience with him as well.

15. nyjunc

what makes you think he cares more about headlines than winning? we have been in 2 of the last 3 AFC title games and while we haven't made the SB yet we are closer than we have been since 1968. I'm sure he wanted Tebow for more than just on field reasons but he can help us on the field and if not I don't think they make the move. It could backfire, it could be a huge success? we'll see soon enough.

16. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Two words: Favre and Tebow. Oh and don't forget one acronym: PSLs.

17. nyjunc

As much as I hated the favre trade the organization was sick of losing seasons to Chad pennington injuries and we nearly made the playoffs.

tebow hasn't played a game yet and he can help us win.

PSLs suck, the new Stadium sucks but on the field we have had the best run of sustained success by far under Woody.

Pre Woody 1960-1999(40 seasons)
    winning seasons: 9(23 %)
    losing seasons: 20(50%)
    playoff seasons: 8(20%)
    playoff wins: 6
    longest playoff drought: 11 seasons(1970-1980)

Under Woody 2000-2011(12 seasons)
    winning seasons: 8(67%)
    losing seasons: 3(25%)
    playoff seasons: 6(50%)
    playoff wins: 6
    longest playoff drought: 2 seasons(2007-2008)

18. tzinc

tzinc New Member

When you see what Favre did in Minnesota you can see that was a football move.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Did anyone get to watch the interview? I feel like the Johnson quote saying "I'll take full responsibility" was him joking and that doesn't come across in text.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The questions many fans have about who is running the team and with what goals and methods in mind is not something I get a warm and fuzzy feeling about if I conclude it is one Woody thinks he should joke about and not take seriously.

It is a serious subject. As far as this franchise is concerned, and its future, I am not sure what is serious if that is not.