Robert Turner signed by Rams.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soh_vet, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Turner was coming off major injury & is strictly a ZBS type reserve linemen.

Doesn't make sense to bring him back given the injury risk & the fact that he doesn't fit into the new blocking sche,e

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So far the OL is in the same shape, sad shape I might add as it was last year. Our LG will be healthier, but we are betting on the come big time if we go forward with the current bunch. There is no evidence that Vlad could be better, if anything with Moore loosing a step we could end up a lot worst. We better hope for some depth on the draft or we might have a long, long season.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Does it make sense to have an adequate backup for the interior line positions? If so, who is that?

4. I don't disagree w/ you,that player doesn't exist right now on the roster. They have Schaluerdoff & O'dowd currently at the top of the interior reserves.Both are long shot developmental types. Schaluerdoff is a guy the Jets traded for from GB who they are high on..but it remains to be seen if they are still high on him after the change in scheme.

This weakness is ideal to be addressed in the mid rounds. When you have a change in blocking scheme you usually want to do some tweaking to the depth chart to get some young guys who fit the scheme & can grow with it.

My original point was only with or without Turner the lack of depth is concerning. Turner's injury issues & lack of scheme fit make him one to pass on resigning.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Cant fucking stand Wayne Hunter...I'd trade him away for goat cheese

6. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

Not worried about the OL. At all.

It was blatanly clear that is was the main problem last year.

Im sure Rex and our opponent Mr. Sparano noticed.

No way Sparano takes a new job without it being stressed for him to succeed the OL will need to be fixed.

Whether its with talent we got or other moves, they have a plan.

7. Big Blocker

Yeah, lots of "development types", and of course we can't forget VD.

I don't mind so much if Turner really was not going to be a good fit. But what's the alternative plan? Seems like if it's the draft, the lower down you pick the less certain it is that you will get someone of quality enough to make a contribution in time for the coming season.

Yeah, too many development types on the OL right now if as a fan you want to have some confidence.

8. Big Blocker

Sparano had just gotten fired. I don't know what other teams were after making him an offer for senior coaching position. I have no reason to believe he made any ultimatums to the Jets in return for his gracious acceptance of their offer.

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea I think the Jets were even his first interview. I remember reading something where he met with Rex and Tanny and they just loved everything he said so much that it was pretty much a done deal right away. Even if you hate Sparano his offensive philosophy pretty much matches up perfectly with what Rex wants his football team to do.

10. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

No concern? At all? Even though it "was the main problem last year"? And now a starter just had major surgery and we let his backup walk in FA? And we haven't signed anyone? And we apparently aren't interested in using a high draft pick on the OLine? What is the plan besides a change of scheme? Doesn't our lack of depth factor into the equation at all? Call me very concerned.

11. This is a league wide problem. You just don't see teams w/ stacked Ol depth charts like you used to. The salary cap, emphasis on starting 5 cohesion & demand league wide for "plug and play" starters has really changed the way teams construct an OL unit. You're almost forced to pile up low risk/high reward developmental types & hope you strike gold.

Before Turner & Hunter, the OL depth was suspect for the Jets from arguably 04-08. They struck gold with 2 guys who talent wise were marginal, but were able to be back-up at multiple positions & play meaningfull mistake-free snaps on a limited basis.

Hunter can still be that guy as a swing tackle. We just happend to see WHY he's not a full time starter..he lacks consistency w/ his technique & mental stamina.

Turner will be tough to replace. the good news is...if the Jets can find just 1 guy similar to Turner who can play both Guard/center at an average performance level on a limited basis...this situation is in much better shape.

Consider this:

Starters:
    -Brick
    -Slauson
    -Mangold
    -Moore
    - Ducasse(Big "If". Should he fail the Jets bring in someone like Vernon Carey)

Main Reserves
    -Hunter(Swing tackle..starting experience & can play bioth tackle spots)
    - Replacement for Turner- Can fill in at both guard and center in a pinch

Developmental
    -O'dowd- possible long term back-up center
    -Schlauderoff - Possible eventual starter/meaningful back-up at guard

Under this sxeanrio, this isn't that bad of a unit.

12. tommytom

tommytom Banned

Dussase lol. He stinks and will be CUT!

13. pheasant

pheasant Undrafted FA

Dussase?

Somebody has a piece of cauliflower for a cerebral cortex.

14. Great insight.Care to elaborate or are you as big of an ignorant dumb ass as you seem?

15. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Im sure they have a plan for the OL....

Why else would we have traded for Tebow?:lol:

16. gizmo253

gizmo253 Member

well said...finally someone who trusts out FO...its funny because if we go back to this time last year the same people who consistently bash every move we make on this forum were posting in the "I have complete trust in Rex & Mike T" thread last year.....