Prime targets for our second pick ?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by dcm1602, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Miller is the real deal. As long as he stays healthy, he has the ability to be a top 5-7 back in the NFL.

2. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Mychal Kendricks should be near the top of our second round wish-list. This guy is a freak athlete who can play ILB and OLB...

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

What the Jets need is a true #1 back. IMO, Richardson, Miller and Martin are the only backs that can be that (maybe Wilson if he solves his fumbling problem). Rainey is NOT what the Jets need. They have Joe McKnight who does what Rainey does. If we spent a 2nd round pick on him I would be absolutely pissed. He is extremely injury prone and would a 3rd down/change of pace back at best. You can name all of these stats, but that isnt going to change that he does not fit the Jets need, especially at the pick you are saying (he could probably be had in the 4th or 5th).

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Raineys a 5th rounder

Anyone who goes near him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds an idiot

If hes on the board in the 6th im interested, otherwise no thanks.

5. jgangstahippie7:18

Is Iloka a reach in the 2nd?

6. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I believe we're bringing him in for a workout.

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Eh, His value is probably around late 2nd/early 3rd so it might be a reach by a half a round, but considering our massive hole I think it would be okay. I really like Iloka. If we got him in the 3rd, I would be ecstatic.

8. Jonky

Jonky Banned

In the second round I hope the Jets take a long look at Clemson TE Dewayne Allen. He's probably the best multi purpose TE in the draft. I know Orson Charles gets a lot of press, but as a huge UGA fan I'd pass on 'the hands of stone'.

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Not sure if he projects to the 2nd or 3rd rounds but I would be intersted in Mitchell Schwartz (Tackle from California) - good pass blocker and also good in the running game.

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

If, for example, we take Floyd at #16 and Martin is still on the board in Round 2, do we pull the trigger on offense again?

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I don't think Floyd will be available at 16, if he manages to fall ,he has to be strongly considered.

Again, Martin will probably not make to our Rd 2 pick.

The Jets have a lot of other options.

12. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Banned

Injury prone you claim?
    His Gator Bio listed that he played in 52 games as a Gator in 5 years, how often could he have been injured out?

2007 - A medical hardship redshirt his Fr season with a shoulder injury in the 4th game.
    Chris arrived out of HS at a soaking wet 160 LBs.
    In SEC play, little guys don't do well when they lower a shoulder and try to pound it.
    He's since muscled up to 180 in 5 years at UF and he learned how to deflect the big blows.
    2008 - Played in all 14 games.
    2009 - Played in all 14 games.
    2010 - Only played in 8 games because of a disciplinary 6 game suspension (not drugs or alcohol related), and not due to injury.
    2011 - Played 12 games, 10 as a starter. Dinged up (ankle I think) for 2 games in the middle of the season and
    held out because it was his Sr season and UF used a 'committee' RB approach, 5 RB's available on roster.

So I really don't know where you are getting the 'injury prone' thing from?

RB - 396
    WR - 69
    PR - 26
    KR - 18
    ST's - 6 blocked kicks, UF Team record

I already said that he would not be a Primary RB, as an up the middle runner anyway.
    He could be an every down in a Read/Option offense though, where he would either take the pitch wide or be
    a receiver or sweep blocker.
    Although about 1/2 of his UF carries were between the tackle runs. He's also a great cut-back runner.
    If all you want is 3 yds and a cloud of dust with 35 carries a game, then he's NOT that guy.

I'm not advocating for Chris and I don't really care if the Jets are interested or not, their coaches know if they
    want him or not. However, don't blame me if he ends up playing for the pats, like Aaron Hernandez did....

What Round he goes in, I also don't really care, but if someone takes the Ore RB ahead of him, then they are the
    one's that are delusional and/or idiots....

PS

If you take DUI Floyd in any round, then you deserve whatever happens after that.
    His DUI last spring came as his 3rd alcohol offense....
    Alshon Jeffery from S.Ca is a better pick imo.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I am a Rainey fan(I took him in the 7 rounder) but no shot he's a 2 or 3 round pick. He is lost on pass blocking, does not have the build to be a go to back that teams like to pick in those rounds and add that RB is not as valued due to teams finding RB talent anywhere in the draft(Even undrafted). Good shot he's a round 5 guy, MAYBE late round 4. His ceiling is Leon Washington IMO and I like that comparison for him.

I am pretty sure if you add in Floyd's contract huge financial hits if he messes up again like that, he will change his tune very, very quickly. Jeffrey has had weight and conditioning issues which might be worse for a football team so that doesn't make much sense.

14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Sounds like an injury prone (with some significant shoulder problems), shady character , who cant block and cant run.

15. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Banned

The character issue was once in 5 years, not a 3 time loser like say a Floyd, who never seemed to learn.

He dealt with the issue (a 32 year old 'sports groupie' girlfriend) during the summer between his Sopn
    and his Jr seasons, and then he moved on with no other and no further character issue problems.
    (hormone growing pains imo)

With all of those 'claimed' health/injury problems, (no source or dates on the comments was listed btw)
    he still managed these stats: Bio at gatorzone.com -- history - 2011 roster - Rainey

In a spread/option offense, Chris played in 52 games as a Gator. <<<<

Longest Run = 76 yds. -- Longest Reception 86 yds. -- Longest KO Return 51 yds.
    * Use the big/heavy RB with San,,,
    but a Rainey type with Read/Option/Wildcat Tebow.

RB - 396 for 2,464 yds, >>>----->> 6.2 ypc <<-----<<< (can't run? WTF???)
    Until the fall-off Charlie Cheeseburger (Weis) 2011 season, 2007-10 Chris led the Nation with a career 7.1 ypc.

WR - 69 for 795 yds, 11.5 ypr <<<--- for a RB

Plus On Special Teams:
    PR - 26 for 235 yds, 9.0 ypr
    KR - 18 for 454 yds, 25.2 ypr
    Kick Coverage Unit - 6 blocked kicks, UF Team record <<<

He finished his Gator Career rsSr season with 1,451 All Purpose yards.

RB/WR/KR/ST's Chris Rainey 5-8 180
    Combine Numbers: 4.45/40 - 16 Bench - 36" Vert - 10' Broad Jump - 3.93 Shuttle - 6.5 3-Cone
    And Chris was also on UF's National Championship Track Team, (fastest RB overall at the combine).
    * Those stats were accumulated against defenses in the conference with the last 6 BCS-NC's.

My main point is that he's likely (imoho of course) to be a better NFL bet than the Ore RB that gets most
    of the 'small-speedster' pub.

If the Jets don't take him, or if he never even gets taken by any team in the NFL, I won't lose any sleep over it. :beer: