2012 7 ROUND MOCK DRAFT / Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

If the Jets draft looks anything like what PPP10 has drafted I will be beyond furious. Jets might be my least favorite draft I've seen of all 32 teams in this mock. Sorry bro but I think you've done a horrible job as our GM in this draft. Missed out on way too much value at our spots while drafting players that might be role players at best this year and beyond. I won't doubt the PPP10 knows his draft stuff bu I think he could have done much much better.

And if the Phags have that kind of draft I'm going to cry myself to sleep afterward. They are easily my favorite team in this mock. Great job Mambo.

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I don't mind the Jets draft, not a huge fan of the 2nd round pick but that's pretty much it.

3. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

The fins draft isnt bad, but isnt near the top of my list at all.

Their offensive line is a nightmare and the only offensive lineman they got, arent that good.

Tannenhill was a reach, Jones is a project, they possibly got 2 decent recievers but without an Oline have fun throwing to them.

I agree that im not a fan of the Jets draft though. Not a single guy for our Dline, and not great value overall imo. Truthfully the first 2 picks arent bad, but the latter half was blehh

Browns, Broncos, Cowboys, and Seahawks are all at or near the top of my list by far.

Obviously its kinda unfair with the Browns having a sea of picks, but they just got some freakin awesome value.

4. casman02

casman02 New Member

lol yep. Maybe Carolina will bring him in and give him the Chauncey Washington treatment where they tell him he made the team, then cut him shortly after.

#684 casman02, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

Maybe I went a lil heavy in saying they were my favorite, but they definitely stand out to me the most at the moment. When this is over I'll take a good look at all the teams and figure out my favorite.

6. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Stepped away from my computer, picking for the Lions now.

7. Sir

Sir New Member

If Terrell Manning wasn't so undersized, he'd be a top 3 round pick. The Steelers have found ways to use undersized LB's before and Manning has shown the ability to put some weight on this offseason. Figured he would be snatched up by a 4-3 team by now.

8. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Happy to get Edwin Baker there, and plus it'll give new meaning to BakerMaker's username! :)

9. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion, and quite honestly I don't disagree because I definitely don't love my draft. In almost every round after the first I felt like the value available didn't matchup well with the Jets needs, and I would hope the actual draft doesn't fall that way because it will put Mr. T in a tough spot, like it put myself in. However, I think I did the best I could considering the talent available at each of my picks, and think I came away with four guys (Upshaw, Zeitler, Martin, and Anger) who with the current depth chart could be starters come opening day. Not to mention important depth at positions like CB (after Revis, Cro, and Wilson there are a lot of question marks), TE (same thing behind Keller) and WR.

#689 PinPointPenning10, Apr 1, 2012
  10. MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla New Member

I went back and looked at what's left at NG and I really didn't see any that couldn't be had right after the draft, so I went with a personal favorite for the hell of it.

Dan Knapp will likely go undrafted and take a path similar to Steve Maneri, except having a little more experience as an OT. He made HM in the PAC10 despite being a 275 pound LT/RT. I think his Pro Day will give him a little better shot to be draft, as he showed up at 304 pounds and put up 224 41 times and still managed to run a 4.96 40.

11. BakerMaker

Have the Saints draft board but he really has one guy left. Going to give TCGF a few more minutes but will make the pick for him as to what is listed on his board.

12. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Right in the middle of posting that actually hahaha.

13. BakerMaker

My two original teams are done so I can comment on em:

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS, BAKERMAKER

Rd 1 - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
    Rd 2 - Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
    Rd 3 - Brian Quick, WR, Appalachian State
    Rd 4 - Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest
    Rd 5 - Chris Rainey, RB, Florida
    Rd 6 - Quentin Saulsberry, C Missisippi State
    Rd 7 - B.J. Coleman, QB Tennessee Chattanooga

I am a skeptic on how Ingram will do on this D but I tried to go for a Gene Smith and shy away from Floyd/Coples so that's why Ingram was there. They need a sack master and if they can develop Ingram correctly, he may be their go to guy for that problem solution. If he can figure it out whether at DE or at OLB though, he is just what the doctor ordered for the Jags.

Rest of the draft was all offense and for good reason. JAX's D is not that bad but their offense lacks firepower outside of MJD and under Murlarkey they will look to change that. First is to get the team their future RT in Sanders, who while I don't think he will step in right away....he will be insurance if Eben Britton gets hurt. Whimpley(sp) is a terrible tackle so if Sanders can get a bit more seasoning, he could be very good on the right side. His value is mid to late round 2 so a tadbit reach but given what was available and that tackles were getting scooped up, it was a need.

Quick is a little bit of a project like a lot of Division 2 ballers are but he has the size, ability and hunger to be a big time stud. Could be the future No.1 if raised properly and Quick has late round 2/early round 3 value so its a fair pick in that respect. Quick right away will be loved as a run blocker on the outside for MJD, so he will find a very early niche there. Chris Givens is one of my more favorite WRs in the class, and its due to versatility. Should be the team's No.3 WR behind Robinson and Thomas(Quick will battle but may be the team's No.4....but slowly rising once he learns the NFL), but what he brings is what Kerley/Brad Smith brought for the Jets all year long. Yes possible wildcat formation and with Givens speed being pretty dang good, he not only could be a home run threat but he can give Murlarkey's offense a lot of jazz that they have been lacking for years. Add that he is a more than potent weapon on kickoffs and punts and the Jags may do a lot of damage on special teams this year rather than hope the D can win field position or the offense can single handedly win it.

Chris Hainey the 5th round pick is a Florida alumni and one that brings a burst load of speed for a team needing some of it. He serves as a big time ST player and should replace Kasim Osgood(The Jags ST ace) and be a big time problem on ST. He could be a jack of all trades type too. Might even be an option on an RB screen or a wrap around type of play.

Saulsberry is depth at center for the old veteran Brad Meester and will be a project. Not the ideal size of a center but the O-Line coach will be working on that with him. Coleman is an interesting fellow. Could be a late 5th/early 6th rounder and should be the team's No.3 behind Gabbert/Henne. Will take a lot of seasoning for him to see the field but he has the makings of being a McElroy/Flynn(If lucky) type that if given 2-3 seasons of studying behind the bench, that Coleman could figure it out and be respectable on the NFL level.

In this draft I get a possible sack artist, some O-Line depth(One who should be the future RT), some much needed WRs, a huge boost for a special teams that needed big help, a nice project QB who could be a great career backup and I give Mike Murlarkey a ton of looks on offense and give Gabbert more tools that he HAS to use and figure out. Just about all these guys are high class character individuals which is what Gene Smith wants.

Will comment on Dallas probably tomorrow.

#693 BakerMaker, Apr 1, 2012
  14. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Its hard to argue with your draft on the Jags too much, although I think you could of considered grabbing a corner somewhere. But other than that I think your picks were spot on with their needs. You got a solid blend of BPA while hitting needs.

And Rainey was definitely on my board as one of the better receiving backs. He could certainly end up doing what Sproles does for the saints, and considering that you got him in the 5th thats damn good value.

Not sure how his pass blocking is, but he could become a favorite target of Gabberts on 3rd downs within a few years

If Gabbert can even become a relatively mediocre QB their offense would be a bit better. Maybe not having any high end recievers, but guys who can get the job done

#694 dcm1602, Apr 1, 2012
  15. BakerMaker

Rainey's pass blocking is awful, it could be worked on but he's just small to really take out these big boys. He can learn from Leon Washington on how to do it though....could be a prime example.

Corners they signed Aaron Ross to a big deal to add with Mathis, Drew Coleman so I don't know if they go heavy by addressing that.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Raineys a bit bigger than Sproles

Think I remember him saying in one of his interviews that Sproles is the kinda guy he aspires to be or something. If he wants to have much of a career thats gotta be his biggest priority imo

Mathis is gonna be 32 before the season starts, Coleman 29, and Ross 30. All 3 of them are also rather injury prone.

I dont see corner as an urgent need for them, but I think they get one in the latter half

17. BakerMaker

I can see that with the corners, what sucks with JAX is they don't have any multiple picks anywhere so its 7 straight picks and that's it. They really should trade down at 7 if they can and maybe even bait CLE to trading up for Tannehill from 22 or something to screw MIA.

18. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Even if they traded down with their 2nd pick, they could still get great value with OL/corner/WR with a late 2nd + 3rd rounder

19. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

The Packers (codegreen) has to 11:19 A.M. to make their selection.

I will be out most of the A.M. and will be back around 1:30 P.M - 2 P.M....I have no boards.

20. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Thanks to all the guys that were picking guys off my boards. Really got thin there towards the end but I like Snow in the 7th round.

I'm around all day so I can take anyone's boards.