Mark Barron

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ConcordeChops, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I know this has been discussed but someone enlighten me on this one. I don't have the full access to college football that you guys have so every year I keep my eye on 15-20 players that I think the Jets may end up drafting. I haven't watched Barron except for seeing him in action on a few clips on YouTube so I'll defer to your knowledge.

I'm still seeing Barron being selected at 16 in most mock drafts but, where he isn't selected, he barely stays in the Top 32. I'm at a loss why we would select someone ahead of the BPA player that falls (usually Floyd/DeCastro/Richardson/OLB prospect). Is there some redeeming factor of Barron's play other than he fills a need at safety?

I'm getting a bit worried - I've not seen anything special from Barron...

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Now that they have signed Landry I don't think the Jets will pick him..they may have if all they had on the roster was Smith at the time of the draft. If they don't there is a good chance he goes to the Pats.

3. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Barron, DeCastro, Mercilus, Floyd. I'll take anyone of them. Ingram is my top guy but I believe he goes in the top 10.

4. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

He's a good player, and clearly the best safety in the draft, but ultimately he's still a safety. Unless that safety is a lock down stud, or you're a really good team and just one player away, it's not a position to put at a high value. Rd 1 = premium positions and unbelievable value, Barron isn't either at 16.

5. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

He's more of an in-the-box safety, which we already have in Landry. If the Jets selected him at 16, I think most people would cringe. 2nd round would be where the values at, though it depends on whether he drops that far.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think some team will draft Barron in the first, but I hope its not the Jets. He is a good player, but nothing special. We should be able to get a stud in a position that we are weak in with our first pick. Saftey can wait till the second round or later where there will be prospects that are not as well rounded or polised as Barron, but more suited to what we need.

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Having seen the struggle to get a decent safety in FA and the franchising of safeties I am really hoping we get one in rounds 2 or 3 but I dont think it demonstrates good value in rd 1 when the guy is not being talked about in terms of being a total stud.

8. Green Lantern 80

I think we get a safety in the 3rd but who will still be available that fits the need is the question.

9. 518

518 Member

I believe you may see him be drafted by the Jets if Upshaw, Ingram, Richardson and DeCastro are off the board. This would solidify our secondary for sure, however I am not sold on his coverage skills that would be required to defend against NFL calibur TE's. I would not be mad if they drafted him, but it's not the best case scenario.

10. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

I agree that he is more of an in the box safety...with landry I think we don't get him in the first...if we did..it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world..

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I agree that he seems to fit a Landry, Smith, Jimmy role more than the athletic coverage safety we need. I hope we pass on him in the first round. From watching him play, he seems he can be a solid starter, but not someone I would spend the 16 pick especially with who else could be available

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Barron would be great on the 47. He's not a great cover guy though.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Because a lot of mock drafters match need with team solely. The Jets obviously needed a safety, Barron is the best one, easy fit. But I would be really surprised if we drafted him at 16. And not really in a good way.

14. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

He's good, but he's not one of those transcendent safeties that you overdraft.

I keep saying this, but the Jets seem really misguided in thinking they're "a passrusher and safety" away. The offensive line is in dire shape. They need complete, three down linebackers. They need a tackle that makes Sanchez comfortable. If you do those things, you can run, pass, and control the ball more effectively, and the other things won't seem as crucial.

-X-

15. BobLivius

BobLivius New Member

At 16, he's a reach. It depends whose available and if a trade down makes sense.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Yeah I agree. Even if you got say Barron and Upshaw in the first two rounds (unlikely) you still have to deal with upgrading the offensive line and the middle linebackers.

The best thing they can do is take the best football players on the board (ideally focusing on the offensive line and linbebackers) and build up the talent base of the team.

17. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Barron is a very good player, arguably the best player on the Alabama defense. He's defintely worthy of the 16th pick. I personaly don't think he'll be there at 16. I believe he goes to Dallas at 14. The guy is not limited to playing in the box, he play ceneterfield and did that many times at Alabama. If he becomes a Jet, they just got alot better.

18. LetsGoJets11

LetsGoJets11 New Member

I think we draft Floyd in the first, Bruce Irvin in the second.