Season starts 6 AM Wednesday morning

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Yisman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Oakland/Seattle in Tokyo

Bizarre decision by MLB. I can understand hoping to gain more traction in Japan, but your audience is in the US (and a large portion on the East Coast). You don't start the season at 6:10 AM EDT. Period.

If you want to start it in Japan, you make them accommodate so that it starts at a reasonable time here. Tokyo is 13 hours ahead of us, so tell them they have to play at 10 AM their time, which would be 9 PM Tuesday on the East Coast. That would make a hell of a lot more sense.

Maybe MLB is thinking almost no one would watch Oakland/Seattle anyway :lol:

2. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I didn't know that was the game time... That's absurd.

3. mystikol

mystikol New Member

It also takes away the chance to open the season from a team opening a brand new stadium. I don't like this at all.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Not the first time they've done this. I remember I stayed up in 2004 to watch Yanks vs Rays from Japan.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Oakland and Boston opened 2008 in Japan.

6. FirstTimeCaller

FirstTimeCaller Active Member

The objective is to draw the attention of the fans in Asia and recreate the authentic MLB experience in Tokyo.. starting the game at 10am on a weekday makes no sense, they'd loose a big piece of their potential audience to work/school. Perhaps on a Saturday or Sunday... but not Wednesday. Western Hemisphere fans will have 1000's of other games to watch at their regular time, this is for the Japanese, Koreans, and Taiwanese audience.

I think you hit the nail on the head... nobody gives a shit about Oakland and Seattle anyway.