Tim Tebow: An efficient scorer among the Elites.

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by whichfan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think more people have been saying it is all Tebow than anyone saying it is everything but Tebow.

The media circus is annoying. I think there were other areas the Jets could have tried to make a trade to improve the team than in WC QB. If he comes in and is used only in wildcat/read option/ with Sanchez on the field it will work out great football wise. The problem is that once Sanchez throws one pick, expect to hear the media start rumbling and Tebow fans start wanting Tebow to start. The media even knows this will happen and they know this because they will be the ones leading the way on the Tebow should be starter bandwagon.

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Tebow was involved in 7 games his rookie season. In the first 4, he totaled 12 rush attempts and 1 pass attempt. In the last 3 games, he was the starter and had 81 pass attempts and 31 rushing attempts.

3. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

The Broncos ranked 25th in the NFL in scoring.

That should pretty much end that thread discussion.

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

It's both. Some of his passes are just way off target on accident, others are throw aways and yet others are put in places that only the receiver has any kind of chance, but not that good of one :)

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Brad Smith, Matt Slauson, Leon Washington, Kerely, Cotchery all were picked 4th round and out. So where Kerry Rhodes, Joel Dressen and Dwight Lowery, all guys who are quality NFL players who would be an upgrade on this team.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's the people who allow themselves to get sucked in by the media that you have to worry about, not the media itself..they have hated the Jets since Namath guaranteed and then delivered SB3 and anybody who thinks that is not the case is living in denial.

7. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

That must explain the receiver's expression :)

8. RobertPooner

RobertPooner Banned

You all give way too much credit to the influence of "Tebow fans". The fans that were chanting for him over Orton were Denver fans. If anybody chants for him at a Jets game, it will be Jets fans. The media...well, nobody likes them, but can't do much about them.

9. DFW_Jet

DFW_Jet New Member

Actually if they use him the right way it probably won't be so bad. I think what gets peoples hackles up, is the rampant Tebow fanaticism. Tebow-fandom is like a religion within a religion or something.

10. displacedfan

The media loves Tebow though and would love to have a QB controversy for the Jets. So the media would push for Tebow to start and start the rumblings for it.

11. displacedfan

Thanks for clearing that up. He did have a TD in his first 13 attempts though. I dont know if more than 1, but at least 1

12. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Did you watch the Bears game? Did you watch the Kansas City game? Did you watch the Oakland game? Minnesota game? There are a lot of perfectly thrown balls in those games, and for a guy that's conservative with his passing, it's not hard to see why it affects his completion % so much. He WILL improve with the Jets better receiving squad.

Watch this:
    [YOUTUBE]PLB8ZoXqGEY[/YOUTUBE]
    There's so many perfectly thrown balls that hit receivers in the chest or right in the freaking hands that they drop it's not even funny.

As far as fault, all of your examples, no matter how many you list you are still talking about a tiny percentage compared to the larger majority amount of interceptions. And they are a far cry from the fact that every completion requires a receiver. It is to start with at most a 50/50 responsibility. That's a huge difference. You can't rely on completion % as a measure of accuracy or to simply judge a quarterback's ability. Especially when it comes to Tim Tebow, which is what most people get so terribly wrong.

And I;m sorry but I find it both wrong and disrespectful to Tebow to relegate him to as only being good for situational plays. Tebow is a very efficient dual rush/pass quarterback who's got a great future in the NFL. As a permanent starter. You may refuse to accept facts, or may not like what I'm showing you and that's fine. If you don't want to know HOW he does it, then just know he gets it done. Perhaps you prefer believing in a higher power and will continue to be shocked when he has another amazing passing game like most people....or you could begin accepting his approach to the game of football is simply different, and very, very effective when it comes to what matters. Scoring touchdowns, low turnovers and winning.

In case you haven't notice there's one thing you don't see in the top 10 on that list. Quarterbacks everyone agrees suck. Right? You don't see guys like Gabbert in the top 10 in those categories do you? Orton? Moore? Etc..You see your elite quarterbacks, like Rodgers, Brady, Manning and some other very solid QB's that fall through the cracks of the standard hyped measurements, but have proven to be very solid QB's over the years. The fact that Tebow ranks amongst those, should tell you something.

PS: This thread made Google in one day:lol: I typed in Tebow interceptions efficiency and it's the second result. That's NUTS!

#172 whichfan, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They will and that's the point I am making although I'm not sure they give a rat's ass about Tebow.

14. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Yeah I think the fact they were 1-4 and Orton was stinking it up had more to do with it.

The only one that got screwed over in that situation was the back-up, but it was no different than Tebow getting demoted in training camp because they were not going to give him what he needed.

So when they found themselves in that situation, they simply gave the fans what they wanted. It just so happens the fans were right. It happens very rarely in the NFL, but in this case, they got it right.

15. displacedfan

I saw the Bears game. That was one of his worst games as a Bronco I thought. At least during the winning streak. Do ignore everything I said about amazing catches. Look at Llyods TD catch in Oakland as one example. Look at the FB dropping a TD pass in the HOU game but then Decker maybe stretching and making a great catch and YAC after Tebow led him too far and deep on a crossing pattern.

Are they a tiny percentage? Can you prove that? We have no idea what type of routes the WR are supposed run, how deep, if they are supposed to recognize coverage and change the route. We also don't know if offensive line did a poor job blocking, fell backwards so the QB can't step in, made the QB change his throwing angle, etc. You have no proof except your own words saying it is a minimal percentage.

If you can't use completion percentage, you can't use your own eyes, are we supposed to your stats only that you picked and chose? That seems a little unfair. What if I told you can't look at shooting percentage, you can't use your eyes, and you can only look at these stats I cherry picked and deemed important and told you Carmelo has had no shooting problems this year because of this stat and ratios. You would call me crazy and bring up counter examples.

Your top ten for the past year was Rodgers, Locker,? Brees, Brady, Schaub?, Smith?, Romo?, Stafford, Ryan, Eli. Locker we can throw aside because of low sample size. So then top ten would include Newton. Stafford behind Smith, Romo, Schaub makes no sense.

Stafford had no semblance of a defense meaning he had to do more leading to more passing attempts which leads to more interceptions and less touchdowns per pass. Tebow had to throw less and run less 1) because his offense had trouble getting series with more than 3 plays. 2) His defense effectively held teams to under 15 points. Same with Alex Smith. Alex Smith had an amazing defense in a weak division and didn't need to throw to keep his team in games.

Throw in Tebow had well below the average number of pass attempts, I don't want to make a judgement and extrapolate to the average and say his TD and INT stay consistent. How many games did Tebow start, 11? Is 11 enough?

Take Sanchez's first 11 games of 2010 for example. His TD to TO is 2.0. His TD per pass % is approximately 4.3 His TO is percentage approximately 2.1. This clearly did not extrapolate to be even close to his stats. In fact everything dropped dramatically. However on your 2011 chart with only 11 starts, Sanchez would rank 4/13/10 putting him at #9 overall. We saw what happened the last 5 games.

I think you are putting too much stock into stats you feel are important without context and putting a lot of Tebow's faults on anybody but him. He can be a great football player for the Jets and really confuse defenses with him and Sanchez on the field. I don't think he can become an above average QB in the league. Just like I don't think a lot of players on this team can't improve much more.

Edit: No Broncos in the top 10 http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232
    This puts the Broncos at 13, http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232
    In fact the average was 27.6 putting the Broncos above average by .4. Take out the outlier the Chiefs and the Broncos were above average by .9.
    HEre is another website confirming it: http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

In fact you made up stats saying Rodgers/Brady/Brees lead the league in sacks, I proved you wrong in sacks and hits and you conviently didn't explain why were wrong or show where you got stats. Here are you again keep on saying Broncos led the league in drops and I find evidence that says the contrary. Mind saying where you got your stats from this time? Or are you pulling them out of thin air to make a point?

#175 displacedfan, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  16. Phear

Phear New Member

The argument about Tebow's completion percentage being garbage because his receivers can't catch is total bullshit. For example....

The Miami dolphins had 2 WRs ranked in the bottom 20 as far as drops %, Brian Hartline at 16.67% 9th worst in the nfl, and Brandon Marshall At 14.74 13th worst. Yet Matt Moore had a a completion % of 60.5.

The Packers also had 2 Receivers ranked in the bottom 20. Donald Driver at 17.78%, 6th worst. And, James Jones at 13.64% 14th worst in the NFL. Yet, Aaron Rodgers had a completion % of 68.3.

The Bears, had 3 receivers ranked in the bottom 20. Dane Sanzenbacher Drop rate of 20.79 for 2nd worst in the NFL. Roy Williams At 15.91 11th worst in the NFL. Devin Hester at 13.33, 17th worst in the NFL. Yet, despite having 3 receivers in the bottom 20 Jay Cutler still had a completion % of 58.

Now Denver, 2 receivers in the bottom 20. Eric Decker 16.98% 8th worst in the NFL. Demaryius Thomas 13.51 15th worst in the NFL. The elite Scorer Tim Tebow had a completion % of 46.5.

Tim Tebow is 11.5 points behind Jay Cutler who had less efficient receivers and also had 43 more pass attempts. For you to sit there and praise Tebow and deny that he has shitty accuracy is laughable. Do you want to know why Matt fucking Moore had such a high completion percentage while Tebow's sucked Donkey dick despite both of them have 2 WRs in the bottom 20 for drops? Matt Moore can throw a fucking spiral.

17. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

whichfan is fuckin delusional

19. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Soon we won't see these annoying threads...

At least they can all go circle jerk in the new sub forum...

While leaving the main board to continue on like it was pre-tebow.

20. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

The Lions threw the ball as much as they did because they lost Leshoure and Best and couldn't generate any semblance of a running game.

Plus, Stafford had that broken index finger which led to the majority of his INTs last year. He still made some pretty bad decisions in that 3 game stretch, but it didn't help that he couldn't get the zip on the ball that he normally does.