*** New Members Please Read/Introduce Yourself ***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 12, 2010.

1. TTTTebowAndTheJets

Another Tebow fan here. My team is the Raven's, but only because I just moved up to Baltimore from Florida. Never had a pro team (always hated the 3 florida teams) and only followed UF. I was actually born in Gainesville and bleed orange and blue. I was an equipment manager for UF for 5 years (including 06 and Tebow's first year). I loved the dude as a person and just have such an interest in seeing him succeed. He is 100% genuine and I can fully vouch for him. He has a long way to go to be a legitimate starting QB in the NFL, but he brings so many positives to the table... how can you not root for him to get better and ultimately succeed. Look forward to seeing how all this plays out. Never envisioned myself a JET fan, but who knows, you all may convert me :)

2. GB#15

GB#15 New Member

I was wondering, Does anybody know how many Tebow fans have signed up here this week? GO JETS!!!

3. Slap

Slap New Member

Hello, Jet fans. I've followed the NFL since about 1973. I've also studied the history of the game and tried to learn what I could about the league's past from my father and other older fans. I think it's impossible to understand history without doing your best to put things into the context of the time period you're investigating. This is why I try to explain to younger fans today why Joe Namath belongs in the Hall of Fame despite lifetime statistics that don't appear to measure up to those posted by modern day quarterbacks.

The NFL began implementing rule changes to increase scoring through passing the football in the mid 70s. Outlawing the bump and run, the five yard chuck rule, moving the hashmarks, outlawing the head slap and allowing offensive linemen to extend their arms while pass blocking. Also, numerous rules designed to protect the health of quarterbacks and wide receivers. I mention all this as a means to contextualize the achievements of players like Namath against their counterparts in later years. The league made it's most determined effort to change the game beginning in 1978.

Namath threw for 4007 yards in 1967 as most of you are well aware. It wasn't until 1979 that another quarterback surpassed the 4000 yard mark, when Dan Fouts passed for 4082 yards in the Air Coryell offense. To put this into context, Joe Ferguson of the Bills led the NFL in passing in 1977 with 2803 yards.

I have never rooted for the Jets, but one of my best friends in high school was a passionate Jets fan, so I learned a lot about the team. I knew all about the Sack Exchange and Freeman McNeil, Richard Todd and Joe Walton and the rest, both good and bad. I was also just a huge fan of the league in general, thus the Wesley Walker poster on my wall as a 13 year old.

Personally, I was a Rams fan growing up, worshipping Jack Youngblood as a throwback even back then. As my AFC team, I adopted the Broncos in around 1976 because I fell in love with their amazing linebacker corps of Gradishar, Jackson, Swenson and Rizzo. My primary allegiance flipped when Carroll Rosenbloom drowned/was murdered and Georgia Frontiere took over the team. The less said about her the better. Eventually my interest in the Rams evaporated completely until they became just another NFL franchise to me. They no longer held my favor as a fan, but I didn't feel the disdain for them I reserved for teams like the Broncos AFC West rivals.

I do not count myself among the tidal wave of Tebow fans that have washed up on your shores recently. You will all make your own evaluations about these folks over the coming months. Some of you will become converts to their cause, some of you will have much more negative opinions about them.

I rooted hard for Tebow in Denver. The playoff game against Pittsburgh was as exciting as any sporting event I ever attended. I had my reservations about whether Tim could ever become a long term answer at quarterback. His passing skills and ability to read defenses are still in the developmental stages and his running style will never allow him to hold up physically over the long haul. That said, there have been few players in league history with better leadership skills on the field. He earned the respect of his teammates and more respect from opposing players for his toughness than almost any quarterback I've ever seen.

This post is already way too long, so I'll wrap it up. I will elaborate on Tebow's departure from Denver and the resulting uproar in later posts. Suffice to say, most of these individuals joining your board are not Jets fans and will never be Jets fans. They are Tebow fans, first foremost and exclusively. They will never blame him for anything and their creativity in finding scapegoats for his shortcomings will display an inventiveness that will astound you. When I read the Jets were bringing in Tebow to repair division in their lockerroom, I equated it to repairing your car by driving it off a cliff. There has never been a more polarizing athlete in any team sport and you will have to experience it first hand to truly understand.

Good luck on the upcoming season. As always, I will root hard for you to kick the Patriots asses twice this year.

4. EpicVibe

EpicVibe New Member

I'm new here too. I became a Tebow fan when he was a freshman at University of Florida. Followed his college career and and followed his NFL career. I will always root for him and whatever he does.

I think he can help this team. First 2 years y'all go deep in the playoffs y'all had the wildcat. The year the Jets take it away they miss the playoffs.

Also I will like to say Tebowmania is not because of his fans. Its because of the media making everything a big story that is related to Tebow.

The elephant in the room is that Jets fans don't like Sanchez and they were going to boo him anyway. He was on thin ice anyway. If the starting QB is good, no one is going to chant Tebow. Only reason Bronco fans(yes Bronco fans that converted to Tebow fans) chanted Tebow is because Orton sucked. If Sanchez don't suck, there won't be a problem because Tebow is going to be on the field anyway.

5. Sir Thomas

Sir Thomas Banned

Tim Tebow and the Jets

Hi! My name is Doug Roper and I'm using the name Sir Thomas because Thomas IS my first name. I'll tell you up front that I'm coming to join the Jets because of Tim Tebow. Having said that, I'm not one that thinks that Tim will be the one who will win the games. Tim is a team player who makes things happen. He will motivate the team. I have followed Tim since his high school days at Nease High in Jacksonville, Florida (actually Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida).
    I'm not expecting Tim to be the starter right away. Tim will do what he is expected to do. If the coach wants him to play 2nd string or 3rd string, he'll do it. He'll even go in as a running back in a Wildcat formation, whatever is needed.
    Football is a team sport with a quarterback at the helm. If the quarterback doesn't do well, the team doesn't do well. If the OL doesn't do well, the quarterback doesn't do well and the same goes for the receivers and running backs. If the Defense doesn't keep the game within reach then offense can't do their job. If the Offense doesn't score, then the efforts of the defense is for nought.
    At Denver, Tim has pulled out last minute wins. Denver called it luck. I just hope that Tim's religious belief and his praying doesn't sidetrack the issue. Tim is a football player and a New York Jet. He puts a 100% effort in everything he does. Yes he needs work on throwing. All through High School and College, he had a pitching motion from the hip, back and over his shoulder. NFL coaches were concerned that it exposes the ball to fumbles. Imagine changing the way you do something for over 18 years and make it perfect. Plus Tim started with no training camp (lockout) and then a quarterback controversy. Give him time. He will do what he can to make himself a valuable asset.

6. Tredici

Tredici New Member

Yes, Jet's friends another Broncophile here to watch the Tebow effect. One of the most amazing things seen in sports. I wish him luck in Green. I wish all of you luck in having him in Green.

He does indeed put effort into his endeavors. The Broncos did win 4 OT games and a couple of squeakers during his tenure. It's not really true that "Denver" calls it luck. The defense kept the team in many of those games. Maybe because they believed in Tim. Maybe because they believed in their own abilities. If you want to call Marion Barber inexplicably running out of bounds and preserving clock time a Divine Intervention, well, okay. Or maybe he simply made a mistake.

The throwing motion, in all likelyhood, will not be changed. I do not predict a sudden, Dan Marino like, quick release from TT in the near, or ever future. Better to concentrate on things more achievable, like footwork. Pocket presence. Don't care how big of gift from God you are, to continue the running with reckless abandon, while entertaining and exciting, does not bode well for sustaining health in the NFL. All though you will enjoy the first time you actually see a safety step out of his way. Oh. I forgot that was Revis. But it will happen again. When all 240 pounds of Tebow starts rumbling it's hard to bring down.

Lost in the shuffle of the "Miracle" victories was limping down the home stretch at 1-4. (Strangely the same configuration which lost Orton a job.) Also, strangely coinciding with Von Miller's injury.

The Pittsburgh playoff game was a blast. Even though both teams were at about half strength due to injury depletion among the ranks.

I hope you guys get that type of thrill often. Keeps the Legend of Tim alive and well!

#786 Tredici, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  7. ozrodmd

ozrodmd New Member

Full Circle

Guess what folks? Yeah another Tebow fan here but my story is a bit different. I was born in Manahattan, NYC in Washington Heights in 1968. I grew up an only son in the house and highly addicted to sports. I always rooted for all the NY teams but my favorites were the Jets, Mets, Nets and Islanders. We didn't have much money but my Dad took me once to see the Jets when they were at Shea Stadium. This solidified my love for the Jets. Thanks to satellite and Direct TV I've been able to follow the Jets and other teams. Ouch, yeah even the Mets. I married and left the Big Apple for Gainesville, Florida and have lived here since 1991. Living here it was hard to avoid the Gator teams. I quickly fell in love with the passion and rivalry of collegiate athletics. I became a huge Florida Gator fan at the right time under the Spurrier years and Danny Wuerrful. I marveled at Tim Tebow during his years here and got to see every pass he ever threw and about 50 % of those live including the 2006 NC game. I was sad when the Jets took Mark Sanchez cause I had hoped Tebow would end up with the Jets when he made his way to the pros. I was happy he ended up in Denver cause they were my Western team and now he is back where I always envisioned him. I do not consider myself to be blind to Tebow's passing inadequacies and inability to read defenses. I feel 100% though that he will improve although how much is the 1 Million dollar question. Still, I hope everyone gives him a fair shot. Part of my fan-dom with him has been that nearly everyone had written him off as being unfit to play in the NFL. So called experts even said he would never win a game in the NFL. Then they said he would never win a playoff. All of which he accomplished without a full year under his belt last year. I have never seen a tougher, more motivated, more focused young man and I think he will help this team return to the glory of the 1969 team. I hope you all join me for the ride it will be fun. Welcome to the circus and God Bless.

#787 ozrodmd, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  8. DFW_Jet

DFW_Jet New Member

Not another Tebow fan

Unlike the last several posts, I am not a Tebow fan. I actually signed up quite a while back and just never got around to posting. I lurk, and probably will continue to do so.

I lived in NJ the first 30 years of my life, started routing for the Jets when my Gramps bought me a No.7 Jets T-shirt back in 1986. For the record my favorite player as a kid was Al Toon, and I was too young to know that Ken O'Brien wasn't particularly good.

Now I live near Jerry world, which is really quite a site to see. I finally got tired of not being able to view links so thought I might as well start posting as there seem to be quite a few entertaining threads here recently. :rolleyes:
    Dont' get me wrong, I hope Tebow works out for the Jets as some sort of utility player that can help get the offense moving a little when it get stuck in the mud. Either way you look at it, 2012 should be entertaining.

Take care! (y'all)

9. Tyler4

Tyler4 New Member

Hello Jets fans, unfortunately (I guess) I'm another Tebow fan that I'm sure many of you aren't too fond of. But I don't plan on posting any just pretty much lurking around.

Not all Tebow fans are crazy and unreasonable. Ive seen some pretty reasonable Tebow fans on here as a matter of fact. But for some reason the crazy Tebow fans are singled out while the crazy haters (and there are equally as many haters as fans) are seemed to be the norm.

Anyways, you won't hear anything from me so carry on :)

10. Clovis

Clovis New Member

Post count 1!!!! yes

Been a Jets fan for as long as I can remember, 35 yrs or so of nfl fandom. This whole Tebow thing has me sparked up enough to attempt joining a message board. I have been reading this and other Jets forums for years, just never got the gumption up to sign up....being old and PC illiterate and all.

BTW :pats_suck:

11. dreamsfloatjoe

dreamsfloatjoe New Member

Hello all! My Admiral ~ Her Royal Highness, The Beach Princess and I are taking up space and bandwidth in upstate Florida on the right coast. :lol:

12. packersfan

packersfan New Member

I am a huge Packer Fan

I decided to post in this forum, because my job affords me lots of time and I love football. I was curious what the reception would be to Tebow coming here and I was shocked by some of the

reactions. I decided to post some thoughts and probably will in the future. I think the Jets have a great chance to improve this year and take it to the next level if they can get the locker room

straightened out. I hope they do. It would be fun to see the Jets kick some Patriots ass. Looking forward to posting. Packersfan

13. marky_mark

marky_mark New Member

Hi, fuck you all...

The first quarterback I ever saw perform live (as in person) was Bart Starr.

In a stadium which was scuttled before all of you were born.

I have been watching this game forever.

I love Football.

You Jet fans are going to be friggin' SHAKING yourself every Sunday. You are soooooo lucky to experience this breath of fresh air. You know what I'm talking about. This isn't about the "passing league." This isn't about the "way to win a championship." This isn't about the "NFL in the here and now." That's call crap. What you are about to experience will change you. You will be screaming in front on your TV like I was, and you will be shocked. You are going to have a blast. And at the end of they day, in a market where so much is hype, you will see the results. It will be awesome.

I envy you. Enjoy it.

#793 marky_mark, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  14. instaGATOR

instaGATOR Banned

I started out a Colts fan because of Johnny U and Raymond Berry.

I followed the Jets for a while because of (SEC/Bama) Broadway Joe.

My first attended football game was in old Florida Field when Spurrier was the QB.

I followed the Phins during the Killer B's years.
    And again during the Marino plus the 2 smurfs, or the 2 Marks, (Duper & Clayton).

I pretty much gave up on 'teams' in the No Fun League after that.

I'm a lifelong Gator fan, all sports, but I'll follow Gator players (all sports) at the next level.

So Tebow is why I'm here now.

I didn't notice that the board had rules or requirements for 'who' could be a Jets fan.
    Nor did I notice that there was any 'time line' requirements either.
    I don't swing first, but I'll certainly duck and then swing back.... :)

15. CloudSurfCEO

CloudSurfCEO New Member

Let's go Jets!

Gang Green - thank you for creating this awesome site where we can all come together to debate and discuss our favorite team! My dad took me to see my first Jets game all the way back when Richard Todd was slinging the ball from sideline to sideline.

My favorite game ever was Jets v Miami game 51-45 in overtime - I yelled and cheered in my house more than any sporting event I can ever remember as a kid. I grew up in Manhattan but have been away from home flying fighters for the Navy. My sons are old enough to enjoy football now so we will be coming up from Virginia to see some games. We have never been to MetLife - I would love any advice on the new location and bringing young children (ages 6&7) to the stadium. Thanks for having me and I am excited to be part of the Gang Green community!

16. TheMoops

TheMoops New Member

I am a long-time Broncos fan that has felt displaced by the team for dumping Tebow in favor of an old, injured qb. I am looking to contribute to ths forum because I look at the Jets signing Tebow as a step in the right direction. You will grow to love this kid. He will help the Jets win. I am cheering for the Jeta this year and maybe from here on out.

17. chadedward

chadedward New Member

I'm from Indiana but grew up some in Florida. Was a Dolphins fan even though we moved back to Indiana in '82. Converted over to a Colts fan around the time Peyton came in. Stayed a Colts fan until about 2008 when I started rooting for the Jets.
    Thanks for having me aboard!

18. Remarker

Remarker Banned

I agree, this is "The Best Jets Fan Message Board...Period". (I've looked around).

As a member of the Gator Nation, I reserve football season Saturdays for Gator football. Historically, on Sundays I have worshipped at the alter of 'Fish Laden Waters' but current events have caused me to allocate some Sunday time to professional football. Additionally, contrary to my SOP (no football message boards), I have begun to spend time on football message boards. I've acquired a strange pleasure from seeing the change many pro. football fans experience from being exposed to one of the Gator Nation's favorites. I'm genuinely glad to be here. This season promises to be one of the most entertaining seasons in recent memory.

19. TheGrinch

TheGrinch New Member

i AM THE GRINCH

20. mferg333

mferg333 New Member

So many tebow fans . I'm also new on here, but I am not a tebow fan due to my hate for the gators (ROLL TIDE). I'm not rooting against him I just hope if he does well it doesnt mean sanchez shat the bed too hard.
    Anyways I live in Hamilton, Ontario (about an hour from Orchard Park Buffalo) and I've been a green and white fan since I fell in love with Curtis Martin in '03 when I was 14 years old. I've been to old Giants stadium for one game 3 years ago, went to Cinci for the playoff game the same year and been to about 6 or 7 Jets games in Buffalo. J-E-T-S